Old 04 June 2006, 16:30   #1

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 150
carrying extra fuel

At the moment I carry fuel in a couple of plastic cans which are ratchet strapped to the front of the console which does the job but is a bit of a bodge and not all that secure (inherited from previous owner).

What sort of fuel cans do you carry, how do you secure them and whereabouts on the boat? Photos would be great

Thanks

Stephen
Old 04 June 2006, 16:41   #2

Town: Milford Haven
Boat name: Various
Make: Commercial
Length: 10m +
Engine: Screw / Voith / Jets
Send a message via MSN to Alex Brown
I always carry a full 25litre plastic can, which is held next to the a-frame by rope on the stbd side. It's handy two fold cos it'll get me around 25miles on the main engine if I run out of fuel, plus, also, it'll keep the aux engine running all day if need be.

-Alex
Old 04 June 2006, 18:54   #3
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Stephen, if you don't have any more suitable storage, then strapping spare fuel containers somewhere is going to be the best option.

I suspect that the deck may be better than the console as you can fix them down more securely. Tie-down loops on the deck make it really easy. Ideally these should be bolted through the deck, but this isn't often feasible; in which case self tappers and sikaflex will do the job.

If you use plastic 25l fuel tanks (like you'd use for a smaller outboard) then you can just plug them in when you want to use them. From personal experience (!), this is way better than trying to pour fuel from a jerrycan while you're at sea.

John
Old 04 June 2006, 19:05   #4

Town: Nottingham
Length: no boat
RIBase
We keep ours on the a-frame behind tank racks, anyway....

transfereing fuel at sea, we have one of those "shake to start" syphons. Use that to get half or more of the fuel out of the can into the main tank, and then it's much easier to pour the rest. Don't bother with a funnel, instead have a spare tank with a screw on tube, and cut a hole in the side of an old 2 litre soft drinks bottle. Put pipe in hole, spout of drinks bottle in fuel filler and pour. Impossible to spill any, whatever the weather.
Old 04 June 2006, 21:20   #5

Thanks

At the moment I just have 2 plastic cans, they aren't proper fuel cans (not sure what their original use was they came with the boat, think they were probably for chemicals or something) carry about 30L each. I have one of the shake-syphons (a "Superpump" I got from Mailspeed Marine which I would recommend to anybody - completely spill free!)

John, interesting idea on using a 25L fuel tank, will look into that as my 6hp Suzuki aux, when it arrives, is supposed to have a fuel inlet on the front for an external tank, could kill 2 birds with one stone there.

On the subject of where, what's the verdict on weight distribution, better to have it up in the bow (where it is at the moment - strapped against the front of the console) or down in the stern? Running solo most of the time. so having ~ 60kg of fuel is the same as a smallish person.

The main thing is that the front of the console isn't vertical so if you tighten the ratchet strap the containers don't sit flat on the deck. Bit wary of boring holes in the hull but it might come to that; at the moment I don't have any fittings to screw to the deck anyway but a blitz on the "stainless steel bits and bobs section" in a good chandlery, is on the cards for when I visit UK in July

I don't use the cans much anyway at the moment as I am taking it out of the water between using it, with it being winter time, so I just take the whole thing to the petrol station instead. Get some odd looks when you turn up and take up half the forecourt with the Land Rover and about 8 metres of trailer and RIB on the back
Old 04 June 2006, 21:47   #6

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Jaws
Make: Gemini 4.2
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 50hp
MMSI: none
Send a message via MSN to Gray
I was on 7.5m rib recently. There were two spair cans of fuel up by the bow one day and thanks to some theiving b*st*rds they weren't there the next day. The difference it made was quiet considerable. With the cans the boat seemed to come down off a wave nose heavy and slam quite a lot. When they weren't there the boat flew a lot better so from that I would conclude putting them near the stern would be better although I guess each boat might be different depending on weight distribution with other items.
Old 04 June 2006, 22:00   #7
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Don't forget to cycle the fuel in your spare tank if you get a 25l tank-I suspect your aux will never use that much in its entire life unless you routinely use it for fishing

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 June 2006, 22:12   #8

Town: Milford Haven
Boat name: Various
Make: Commercial
Length: 10m +
Engine: Screw / Voith / Jets
Send a message via MSN to Alex Brown
Yeah, I empty out my 25litre tank every time into the main tank, which ensures it's got fresh fuel in it, bought just before I leave.

-Alex
Old 04 June 2006, 22:19   #9
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Stephen is that aux you're getting 2stroke premix, autolube or 4-stroke?

I've taken to carrying a garden syringe with me to measure the oil into the aux tank for premixing.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 June 2006, 00:17   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nos4r2
Stephen is that aux you're getting 2stroke premix, autolube or 4-stroke?

I've taken to carrying a garden syringe with me to measure the oil into the aux tank for premixing.
Suzuki DF6 6hp four stroke one of these

Decided that if the S&^% hits the fan and I *really* need the aux I didn't want to be messing around with mixing fuel or worrying about old premix fuel with all the volatility of a jerrycan of ditchwater, so I figured a 4 stroke was the way to go so I can just chuck in the fuel straight out of the cans
Old 26 June 2018, 13:04   #11

Town: Nonington
Make: Avon
Engine: Mariner 9.9
Hi,
silly question, but I might be taking my SIB up to the Lake District next week and will pack it up into my van rather than trailering all the way up there. how do I safely deal with the petrol issue. if I take empty tanks up with me and fill them at the Marine, what do I do with leftover gas when I am travelling home?
Old 26 June 2018, 13:16   #12

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Similar issue here in that I never want to travel the several hundred miles to/fro holiday with petrol in the tank/s.

I just try and manage the fuel vs remaining trips out towards the holiday end then if needed offer the fuel free to other boaters.
Old 26 June 2018, 13:25   #13

Town: Nonington
Make: Avon
Engine: Mariner 9.9
OK, but is it also fine to have empty fuel tank in car boot, or could you put it in a sealed plastic container so as to keep unwanted vapour from coming into car?
Old 26 June 2018, 13:48   #14

I find with them empty and the vent screwed tight there is no smell... I do also put them in taped up bin liners.

Daughter is very sensitive to petrol smell in the car so I make sure there is no petrol spill on the outside and wipe them over with a "nappy" wet wipe before going in the bin liner.

When we are up to capacity and I have to use a top box then it's easier as the tanks go in there.
Old 27 June 2018, 05:47   #15

Town: Ipswich
Boat name: Click and Collect
Make: Valiant and Narwhal
Engine: Outboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kennett View Post
Stephen, if you don't have any more suitable storage, then strapping spare fuel containers somewhere is going to be the best option.

I suspect that the deck may be better than the console as you can fix them down more securely. Tie-down loops on the deck make it really easy. Ideally these should be bolted through the deck, but this isn't often feasible; in which case self tappers and sikaflex will do the job.

If you use plastic 25l fuel tanks (like you'd use for a smaller outboard) then you can just plug them in when you want to use them. From personal experience (!), this is way better than trying to pour fuel from a jerrycan while you're at sea.

John
You never need to pour fuel just invest in a jiggle syphon
Old 27 June 2018, 05:52   #16

Town: Ipswich
Boat name: Click and Collect
Make: Valiant and Narwhal
Engine: Outboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
Similar issue here in that I never want to travel the several hundred miles to/fro holiday with petrol in the tank/s.

I just try and manage the fuel vs remaining trips out towards the holiday end then if needed offer the fuel free to other boaters.
Why don’t you carry the fuel home it is no issue just do the can or tank up properly
Old 27 June 2018, 06:19   #17

Because of the fire risk in a rear end accident.
Old 27 June 2018, 06:32   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
Because of the fire risk in a rear end accident.
Because cars are never fuelled with Petrol?
Old 27 June 2018, 06:41   #19

Town: A large rock
Boat name: La Frette
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200 Suzzy
ISTR that under road laws there is a 5l limit on carrying spare fuel cans in a car. It was discussed on Ribnet many years back. Note there is a distinction between cans and a fitted tank. If the car gets hot, an empty can with dregs seems to build up far more pressure than a full can.
Erin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2018, 07:10   #20

>>>Because cars are never fuelled with Petrol?

But the fuel tanks are external to the vehicle structure and their location/construction will have been considered in crash testing.

In our packing the 25l tank has to go immediately inside the tailgate so in the initial crumple zone.

It's a personal choice and just what I do.

However not concerned on our 10ml rural run if using the river... it's just the 500ml mainly motorway holiday runs.