Click Here to Login

Old 06 May 2021, 08:21   #1

Town: Birmingham
Boat name: Grey Reef
Make: Smartwave
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu MFS20E EPTL
Cardiff barrage - what's the craic?

Looking for a new launch site to get out on our roto and do a spot of fishing in the Severn estuary with my lad. I've never gone out from Cardiff before, but being Bromsgrove(ish) based it makes more sense for us than Poole and the south coast for the day, as we did last weekend.

I know we can use the public slip but do I need anything special to be able to get out through the barrage, or can we just turn up, launch, motor over to the barrage and go through? The boat is licensed and insured.

Thanks
Old 06 May 2021, 08:25   #2

Town: Nottinghamshire
Make: Ranieri 15
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki DF50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duggy View Post
I know we can use the public slip but do I need anything special to be able to get out through the barrage, or can we just turn up, launch, motor over to the barrage and go through? The boat is licensed and insured.

Thanks
I've never seen it but to get through any of the three locks, sounds like you need a handheld vhf to contact the control room on channel 18. We routinely do this on the Trent but channel 74.

https://cardiffharbour.com/barrage-locking-procedure/
Old 06 May 2021, 17:07   #3

Town: Cardiff
Boat name: CBYC
Length: no boat
With the bay
Launching is via channel view, you will have to pay to use it though, be careful of the slip as the swans like to poo on it, down the river it is 5 kts or dead slow (please observe speed limits as you will be reported, and barrage control have radar) but actual bay is no speed limit just be careful of dinghy training from CBYC (where i'm based) and racing. Call barrage control up on VHF 18 to request lock out, Outbound are on the 1/2 hr and the hour, with lock in on the quarter to and quarter past, speed is dead slow near the barrage which are marked by yellow special buoys, on busy days be prepared to raft up and dont push in either as its frowned upon,
when leaving the locks dead slow and follow the buoyage out, dont cut the corners as you will ground, and be aware of commercial shipping coming out of cardiff docks they will not give way,
Make sure you have proper kit etc, spare fuel and a decent sized engine, in the channel its 7kt on springs which you will need a bit of power to fight, plus get charts etc,
I suggest you take someone with local knowledge out with you,
Only hazards really are the cardiff middle ground bank, the wolves reef between flat holm and lavernock point (marked by north card and stay north of it) plus the rannie as well as it can get lumpy
if you need any more advice please ask, happy to help ,
Old 07 May 2021, 08:11   #4

Town: Birmingham
Boat name: Grey Reef
Make: Smartwave
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu MFS20E EPTL
Thanks for the replies.

I'm OK about the current and navigation situation but as I don't have a VHF radio yet I'll most likely give this location a miss until later this year at the earliest, once I've had a chance to get my license and do the training etc.
Old 08 May 2021, 19:13   #5

Town: Cardiff
Length: no boat
It’s also like Whaley races when the locks open with chargers