Old 15 August 2011, 09:23   #1

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Length: 5m +
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
"capillary" toob glue?

Does such a thing exist?

I have an problematic hole which is about 1mm from a seam on the "low" side of the "step". I am now on my 5th attempt at getting a patch to stick, and have tried both a big patch over the step with a gallon of goo to fill the resulting cavity and straight edge one worked into the corner, which holds for about 10 mins but results in not enough stick on the seam side. Either way the geometry doesn't lend itself to a reliable patch. (and before you start all the "this is how to apply a patch" replies, I've got one on the underside at the rear that has stuck for years on the most agressive "jetwash" area the toobs see, and the one I am talking about has fresh glue, been properly prepared each time etc etc)

So, does such a thing exist that I could paint onto the seam or into the cavity that would work its way in & form a seal in the microscopic gap that inevitably forms? Kind of like a Hypalon version of mek pak.
Old 15 August 2011, 10:03   #2
SPR

Town: Central Belt of Scotland
Boat name: Puddleduck III
Make: Bombard
Engine: 50 HP
http://www.captaintolley.com/ ?

I have about 6 bottles of this in house...you in fife ish I believe can give you a bottle to try... if the collective think it might be worth a try!

regards
Old 18 August 2011, 08:18   #3

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Looks like I'm the first to encounter this problem!

Not quite Fife, but close enough. I'll ping you a PM.....
Old 18 August 2011, 08:53   #4
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Have you considered a "liquid patch" with something like a wetsuit repair adhesive. It is surprisingly durable, even in areas that are in the water under way. I'd expect that you should get a couple of seasons from it.

Example product here
Old 18 August 2011, 15:11   #5

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
If you're using Aquaseal, be aware that it is a) fairly thick, b) has a long cure time (24 hrs), and c) likes to creep and run all over the place (albeit slowly.)

If you need it to penetrate, mix it with Cotol 240 (I think that was the number) at a ratio of about 3 or 4 parts Cotol to 1 part Aquaseal. Mix 'til it thins out (the adhesive takes a while to go into solution), and apply. The resulting bond will be a very thin skin of urethane, and the mix will cure in about a half hour.

Do not use the "filled" or thickened Cotol (has a whitish color) that comes on the blister card; instead, find the 4 oz. can of unfilled Cotol (water clear.) The filled stuff doesn't work for crap.

I used to use a *lot* of Aquaseal and even more Cotol for keeping my diving drysuit something less than wet. Problem solved when I anted up for a new drysuit (2, actually.)

jky
Old 18 August 2011, 15:28   #6
RIBnet Supporter

JKY is right. I should have said that for easier flowing Aquaseal, heat the tube in quite hot water before use. Mask the area with thick tape and remove it as the adhesive begins to go off. Too soon and it will run, too late and it will tear.
Old 18 August 2011, 18:41   #7

Boat name: No name yet
Make: Avon
Engine: Honda BF30
Shoe goo!

free
Old 19 August 2011, 03:00   #8

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Actually, Shoe Goo is very similar in composition to Aquaseal. Both are fairly thick, high bond-strength urethane adhesives. Not sure what the solvent used in Shoe Goo is, but it's Toluene in Aquaseal.

jky