Old 19 September 2011, 05:39   #21

Town: Oban (mostly)
Make: Ribcraft, Humber,BWM
Length: 5m +
Engine: Outboards
Send a message via Skype™ to SeaSkills
Quote:
Originally Posted by Courageous View Post
Have they suddenly mandated Met and climatology into the ICC course now or something?
I'm not sure if this was a serious comment, but for the sake of clarity for those who may not be sure - a knowledge of weather forecasting is now and has been for as long as I can remember a part of ICC (see under Safety section, part 2)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf ICC Application Form.pdf (117.1 KB, 73 views)
Tel; 07525 012 013
SeaSkills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2011, 06:31   #22

Town: Alderney
Length: no boat
Quote:
Polwart is absolutely right, check your preferred website (or a few) and then if you see conflicting data it might be worth studying a synoptic. Channel - I don't think you went anywhere near suggesting that!
It was Seaskills that said to look at a synoptic chart if there is a difference in modeled predictions wasn't it?

And tried to say that learning how to read a synoptic chart rather than relying on predictions alone was my recommendation, Polwart chose to interpret that as meaning people should be denied computer models. His words, most certainly not mine!
Old 19 September 2011, 06:37   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Channel Ribs View Post
XC and Windfinder are both ok. But for a serious understanding you need to make the call yourself, based on real measurements not predictions alone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
I'd agree that you might want to look at a synoptic chart to see if the computer model results make sense
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaSkills View Post
For me, it's usually a case of not trusting any one website. If I want the best forecast, I compare several and if they agree I tend to trust them. If they don't, I go to the synoptic charts and make up my own mind
I love the way forums draw out an ability to argue while agreeing.
Old 19 September 2011, 09:06   #24

Town: Rosas
Boat name: Conqueror
Make: Valiant
Length: 7m +
Engine: Outboard 150hp Merc
Send a message via Skype™ to Courageous
Seaskills - thanx for the link to the form to refresh memory but section 2 in safety seems to me to just say "Obtain weather forecast". That's hardly understanding weather systems and data from a synoptic chart now is it?
Old 19 September 2011, 09:46   #25
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard B View Post
Very pleased to see no mention of "Met Check" which suggests that the average IQ of RIBnet members has risen over the years!
You might be reading too much into that.

I believe Met Check availability (and reliability when it is available) had taken a massive nose dive in the last 6 months or so. It must be tricky to maintain the servers etc when inside!

Personally I used to find its short range forecasts pretty good but I stopped using it after the owner got banged up. Its long range stuff was obviously a bit dodgy, but even that if you looked at the general trend +/- 1 day was actually more informative than most long term outlook type stuff.

Quote:
You cant really beat looking at the synoptic charts on a regular basis, many of the forecasts on the web use computer models and their accuracy varies.

Having said that, XC and Windfinder are both ok. But for a serious understanding you need to make the call yourself, based on real measurements not predictions alone.
Martin, I don't want to get into an argument with you but the way I read that the bits I have highlighted above all said you were strongly arguing against using on-line forecasts based on computer models as the primary source of information and suggesting RIBbers should spend their time pouring over synoptic charts. I wasn't trying to be beligerent - just point out that I have an OK level of understanding of synoptic charts but whilst I could probably spot a glaring error in a forecast I doubt I could reliably differentiate between two credible but different computer model based forecasts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaSkills View Post
All the above are good, and let's not forget the Met Office or BBC Weather with the options to click through to the Coastal or Inshore waters forecast.

For me, it's usually a case of not trusting any one website. If I want the best forecast, I compare several and if they agree I tend to trust them. If they don't, I go to the synoptic charts and make up my own mind which one I agree with (then keep my fingers crossed
Ian - it is worth pointing out that many of the sites discussed here are all using the same data set - so if they all agree you may be giving yourself false confidence. Personally I don't like the BBC/Metoffice user interface but I don't think they freely license their forecasts so if they do provide a good cross check.
Old 19 September 2011, 10:09   #26

Quote:
I wasn't trying to be beligerent
No argument from me

I just wanted to point out that I had not made myself clear, but that neither did I suggest people be denied access to computer model based forecasts. The bit about locking people up was all your idea, at least thats what I shall tell them.
Old 19 September 2011, 10:16   #27
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
No argument from me

I just wanted to point out that I had not made myself clear, but that neither did I suggest people be denied access to computer model based forecasts. The bit about locking people up was all your idea, at least thats what I shall tell them.
I've got a basement full of ribnetters. I'm keeping them to feed to Garfie if he ever come round! If you ever wonder why someone has stopped posting for a long time then they are probably down there! Actually I'll need to review security as it appears Richard B has wormed his way out.
Old 19 September 2011, 10:52   #28

Town: jersey
Boat name: Martini II
Make: Arctic 28/FC470
Length: 8m +
Engine: twin 225Opti/50hp 2t
MMSI: 235067688
I believe he piled up Codders' bones in the corner to stand on and thus was able to reach a ventilation shaft
Old 19 September 2011, 11:48   #29
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
I'm not sure there's much in the way of ventilation down there, although being in Scotland, there's probably a decent draft.

I seem to have heard somewhere that European weather services have to make their data freely available for third party services. I've watched Yr.no's updates, and they match with the UK Met's exactly, for time and content.
Old 19 September 2011, 21:32   #30

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
I could tell you where I've really been...

...but then I'd have to kill you!
Richard B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2011, 06:30   #31

Quote:
Ian - it is worth pointing out that many of the sites discussed here are all using the same data set - so if they all agree you may be giving yourself false confidence. Personally I don't like the BBC/Metoffice user interface but I don't think they freely license their forecasts so if they do provide a good cross check.
Yes, Neil. Good point. I'm quite surprised how different the interpretation of the same data can sometimes be when it's processed through different software. I make a point of comparing forecasts from different data sources - eg Accuweather or Theyr alongside the Met Office data.

As a general point though, I do find that most weather forecasts are really very good and I trust them much more than I did even 5 years ago
Tel; 07525 012 013
Old 21 September 2011, 06:37   #32

Quote:
Seaskills - thanx for the link to the form to refresh memory but section 2 in safety seems to me to just say "Obtain weather forecast". That's hardly understanding weather systems and data from a synoptic chart now is it?
As an examiner I like to think that there is a measure of common sense implied in this. I've never been faced with a candidate who assumed that presenting me with a print out from a weather forecast without being able to explain it was going to demonstrate an adequate level of competence.

Should I have the misfortune in future to meet a candidate who thinks otherwise I think we'll have an interesting discussion
Tel; 07525 012 013
Old 21 September 2011, 10:15   #33

Town: Rosas
Boat name: Conqueror
Make: Valiant
Engine: Outboard 150hp Merc
Send a message via Skype™ to Courageous
I'd expect that of course. I doubt that many would be expected to be able to tell you what time to expect a front moving through from a synoptic though......
Old 21 September 2011, 18:45   #34

Quote:
I'd expect that of course. I doubt that many would be expected to be able to tell you what time to expect a front moving through from a synoptic though......
Almost correct, Courageous.

Actually, no-one would be expected to be at that level for ICC.
Tel; 07525 012 013
Old 21 September 2011, 18:59   #35

Town: oban
Boat name: Power of scotland
Make: Redbay
Length: 10m +
Engine: ME 421 STI
Hello

I use XC too. For a very accurate wind forecast www.theyr.com is very good. Costs to get on it but I use it everyday for work, so worth while.

Cheers
Old 27 September 2011, 21:36   #36

Town: Goudswaard
Boat name: mr D
Make: Deltapower
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yamaha f300 BETU
RIBase
Windguru and windfinder are ok, although depending on location how accurate it really is. However I use for sailboat racing around europe the 'paid' windguru and the 15 eur investment or so per year is definately worth it.
For the Netherlands I also use the local small airplane weather forecast of Amsterdam Airport frequently and that one in fact never let me down. Not sure however if a similar service is available in the UK.....

For map and model fetishists: www.wetterzentrale.de has a large number of models/forecasts plus maps (even some ukmo) - you may need to brush up on your German though....
Old 28 September 2011, 07:17   #37

Town: Szczecin
Boat name: powerrib
Make: Technomarine 1226 OB
Length: 10m +
Engine: OUT 2xV8 YAMAHA gas
Windguru I recomend. Specially I've confirmed they do not optimize forecast to secific area but it's always certain for specific waterplace. We have here at Stettiner Bay some hills here, big river, open sea and weather might change along 60km trip even.

They are very good indeed.
Old 28 September 2011, 07:25   #38

Send a message via Skype™ to passbhoy
i use a number of websites, mainly BBC Coast & Sea, www.Magicseaweed.com and the met office, always better to check more than one, the magic seaweed site is for surfers but has great wind and synoptic charts, worth a look