Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 28 June 2010, 10:45   #1

Town: Gloucester
Length: 3m +
Can Anyone Recommend A Budget Family Rib?

I'm looking for a rib to take the family out on whilst on holiday. Ideally it needs to accommodate my wife & our 3 small children. So far I've considered buying the Zodiac Pro 7, but can anyone else recommend a rib to suite my needs? I've got a budget of £5K

Cheers Ian
Old 01 July 2010, 19:24   #2

Town: N. Devon
Boat name: (Not Another) Nutkin
Make: Highfield
Length: 6m +
Engine: Outboard, Honda 135
MMSI: 232036183
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infiltrator_2K View Post
I'm looking for a rib to take the family out on whilst on holiday. Ideally it needs to accommodate my wife & our 3 small children. So far I've considered buying the Zodiac Pro 7, but can anyone else recommend a rib to suite my needs? I've got a budget of £5K

Cheers Ian
There are plenty of ribs on the market that would fit the bill. However it depends on what you actually want to do.

I have a 4.5m (Rimini) that easily accomadates my wife and 2 small kids. However there is only one seat and if we want more it'll kill the space. Have a think about towing, launching options before going too big.
I use an Avensis and it tows the 4.5 great, Launching is easy on a good slip and ropes make life easy at low tide. I also tow the dive clubs 5.5m and it's a different story. Towing is ine but launching and recovering becomes a tad difficult due to weight, angles and front wheel drive cars!

A 5m Tornado or Humber would be ideal IMHO. Should be able to pick one up kitted ready to go for that sort of budget - you can have room for seats if you so wish and will make for easy launcing / recovery.

Bude Dive Club - www.budediveclub.co.uk
GAFIRS - www.gafirs.org.uk
treerat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 July 2010, 21:10   #3

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
The Zodiac Pro 7-Man is perfect for a first rib. Personally I'd go for a bench seat, console and bow cushion. New models still command a fair price, but you should be able to pick something up - circa 2005 or earlier for your budget. It's fine for towing and will fit in most domestic garages. It's rated for 50hp, but 40hp is a good compromise and will push you along at around 30mph flat out. With a family on board, cruising speed is the most comfortable.

You can fit a 25 litre fuel tank under the console, with another 25 litres in the bench seat - for trips further afield. Kids get bored easily, (if mine are anything to go by), so as long as you have a destination, picnics, playing in the water in wetsuits, then that would be your best bet.

I had mine for 4 years and was out in some pretty attrocious weather, fishing, and definately no kids! You can also squeeze in an auxilliary engine for added peace of mind. For more details and pictures of the engine-set-up, PM me.
Old 02 July 2010, 17:20   #4

Town: bedford
Make: tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: outboard 60hp merc
My 5mtr Tornado with either a 50 or 60 would be ideal, no brakes on the trailer and small enough to fit into a domestic garage. Sea keeping qualities are excellent and the small 2S yam aux fits alongside the main engine.

I am very pleased and until I move near the coast its great for towing behind an average family type car.

Good hunting!

DaveJ