Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 19 September 2011, 18:43   #1

Town: perth
Boat name: predator
Make: p & j marine
Length: 5m +
Engine: 70hp evinrude
camping and mooring on black isle (nr Luing, Argyll)

Does anyone have any info for mooring and camping on black isle near luing in argyll? Thinkin gof going there in a couple of week so any tips would be much appreciated.
Old 19 September 2011, 19:43   #2

Town: Girvan & Tayvallich
Boat name: Breawatch
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Mercury 150 F/stroke
MMSI: ex directory!!
RIBase
Hi hal
glad you corrected your spelling!! Know the area for cruising as I am based at tayvallich but the guys you want to talk to are Alystra and Puffin bith know the area well and can give you 'heads-up'.
Hope you have a good week.

J
Member of SABS ( Scottish West Division)
jambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2011, 22:45   #3
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo View Post
Hi hal
glad you corrected your spelling!! Know the area for cruising as I am based at tayvallich but the guys you want to talk to are Alystra and Puffin bith know the area well and can give you 'heads-up'.
Hope you have a good week.

J
If you mean the title - I confess this was my typo - I added the detail to the thread title, so as to differentiate from similar named places...

...my bad now fixed!
Old 20 September 2011, 08:09   #4

Town: Girvan & Tayvallich
Boat name: Breawatch
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Mercury 150 F/stroke
MMSI: ex directory!!
RIBase
Really Neil u should know better. Shame on you!
Cheers B
Member of SABS ( Scottish West Division)
jambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2011, 19:48   #5

Town: Easdale
Make: Humber/Quinquari
Length: 10m +
Engine: Outboard
Easdale is the nearest 'mainland' village with pubs, harbour etc. We pass the Balck Isles fairly frequently so you can give us call - Seafari Adventures (Oban) 01852 300003.

For info Sun 25th Sept - World Stone Skimming Championships at Easdale.
Old 25 September 2011, 10:51   #6

Town: Ardfern
Boat name: Moon Raker
Make: Humber Destroyer
Engine: Honda BF 90 D
MMSI: 235035994
Quote:
Originally Posted by hal8 View Post
Does anyone have any info for mooring and camping on black isle near luing in argyll? Thinkin gof going there in a couple of week so any tips would be much appreciated.
Hi Hal,
Definitely a settled weather anchorage if you're intending staying the night. Even though I have sailed these waters for more than thirty years, fifteen of those full time professionally, cruised my RIB for five or six, and passed the Black Isles umpteen times, my frst visit was May last year.

Wind was between west and south F4 and I found the anchorage in the eastern bay of Dubh Mor quite well sheltered (there was no appreciable westerly swell though). Holding ground good in sand (avoid the odd weedy patch). There's the odd rock in the bay restricting swinging room, but they're visible against the sand and there was ample space. I anchored close to the little peninsula that separates the two bays and got reasonable shelter from the wind and swells coming through the gaps between the two islands.

There are very strong tides all around the area (my log shows my 23 knot cruising speed reduced to 16 knots at one point). Use your eyes as well as the plotter because some rocks and islets are not where the GPS thinks they are. Beware of creel buoys being dragged just below the surface by the tide - there are lots sometimes.

Had the forecast been better I would have stayed the night aboard. There seemed to be plenty of good places to pitch tents ashore.

An extract from my log says, 'Found a good anchorage, sheltered and quiet. Blue sky, gentle breeze, magnificent isolation, a tonic.' The scenery is stunning.

If the winds are northerly, there's good shelter in Camus a Mhor-Fhir on Lunga, as well as lots of other places round and about.

I would have been back and stayed this year, but the season's been the worst I can remember since 1985.
Old 27 September 2011, 10:11   #7

Town: Argyll
Boat name: Puffin
Make: Humber Destroyer
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki 90
MMSI: 235075764
Hi Hal

I have used the anchorage a few times with the family, we use it as a lunch / coffee stop! Its a superb spot but as Alystra has said, you need to be reasonably happy that the weather is settled if staying overnight. Its well sheltered from South round to North West winds. In a strong Westerly you will get a bit of swell coming through the gap between Eilean Dubh Mhor and Eilean Dubh Beag but with a RIB it should be possible to find shelter from it.

It has a sandy bottom with good holding.

As Alystra says, you have to be careful with your approach, I normally enter the anchorage from the North rather than tempting fate and coming between the rocks on the eastern side. I would also echo Alystra's alternative of Camus a Mhor-Fhir on Lunga if the wind is from the North or East. Good fun going through the Grey Dogs to get ot it. There are also a few good bays on the West side of Jura that are well worth a look. The great thing about the area is that there is always somewhere sheltered!

Hook up with Tony Hill when you get there, he's the expert!

Have attached a link to some photo's. I'll be out and about around Oct 7th for a week. PM me if you want any more info.

Paul

The Anchorage, Eilean Dubh Ṃr/Beag:: OS grid NM6910 :: Geograph Britain and Ireland - photograph every grid square!