Old 29 November 2003, 12:55   #1

Town: Fareham
Length: 6m +
Calling Fareham RIBBers

Pick up my new craft tomorrow and want to get the Mechanicals serviced and damage on stern assessed ASAP.

There are two outboard service centres within 200m of one another, one which is Yamaha main dealer but doesn’t offer anything other than outboard works, and the other that also offers servicing of Yams, but offers works for Hulls+Tubes as well!

Having spoken to both dealers and finding them both extremely helpful with advice offered, which one do I go for? I'd like to only deal with one company for all my needs.

Which one do you go to...?

What do you think?

Andy G
Old 29 November 2003, 13:34   #2

Make: Ribtec
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yamaha F225
Hi Andy,

I "inherited" Mark Bleeker of The Outboard Centre as he serviced the engine on my old boat for the previous owner. As said owner was part of a family concern with a VW dealership in Portsmouth, I thought that was a reasonable recommendation.

Since then I bought an F115 Yamaha on Mark's advice, which never missed a beat. He also installed the GPS on my old boat and he has carried out maintenance/repairs on my trailers.

Mark still services my new boat and I value his advice and considerable experience.

The other dealership may be able to offer an equivalent or even superior level of service for all I know. For what it's worth, I am not looking to change my service agent.

All the Best

Brian
Old 29 November 2003, 13:37   #3

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Hi, easy one this, go to Fairweather Marine. Used Lee for 10 years, just wish I knew what he does about outboards. Straight chap, straight prices and a team of mechanics that won't take you for a ride.

On a previous rib had a V6 outboard that wouldn't start. Lee's mechancis spotted that the sensor that stopped you starting the outboard when tilted up had failed and stopped it running at all. They disconnected the sensor, checked it started and ran okay, and charged £10. Other dealers might have been tempted to replace the ignition pack which is big bucks and a couple of hours labour charges.

Buy me a pint one night and I will tell you the story about the two shops.

Pete
Old 30 November 2003, 11:58   #4

Length: 7m +
Engine: Yamaha F225
Quote:
Originally posted by Pete7

Buy me a pint one night and I will tell you the story about the two shops.

Pete
Pete,

You are entitled to be a satisfied Customer of Fairweather Marine and had the previous owner of my Ribtec 585 been a Customer of their's, then who knows, I would probably be providing testimonial for them also.

However in view of your strong support for Fairweather, I don't think that the above comment is entirely fair, as to me, it implies skulduggery or malpractice by the other party.

Please tell us all the full story over a cyber-pint or edit/correct/delete as appropriate. Or am I drawing an incorrect implication from this ?

I certainly don't wish to get into a "My engine servicer is better than your engine servicer" argument.

All the Best

Brian
Old 30 November 2003, 20:23   #5

Town: Fareham
Length: 6m +
I don't want a "My engine servicer is better than your engine servicer" on my thread either!!

Just torn between two service centres and am calling anyone that has had their Motors sericed by either one of them to indicate which one.

I'll make my decision based on the number of replys.

If you don't want to name names then say "upper" or "lower" and I'll know what you mean.

Andy
Old 30 November 2003, 22:18   #6

Town: SOUTHAMPTON
Boat name: Won't get Fooled Again
Length: 6.5
Engine: Honda 130
They are both good and worthy of recomendation, I have had work done by both of them and was happy on both occasions.

Lee has branches out into Rib Building as Solent Ribs, i am impressed by these so iff the offer a tube fix boat fix service it will be good.

Also the rib service centre in Saxon Wharf are exellent fitter outerers.

All in all Fareham people have got it lucky
Old 30 November 2003, 22:24   #7

Whiteshoes, its a long story and bit of a history lesson but in essence, Lee used to work for Marks father, Mike Bleaker. Think he married his daughter as well but have to check that.

MB Marine used to have a shop next Lees and the sales and spares ran from the current shop. He sold off the land and they built a couple of houses on it. MB Marine moved into the industrial estate round the corner near the PO sorting office and then lost the plot. Away from view no one knew they were there. They then downscaled and moved under one roof at there present location. Used to see Mark quite regularly on the Rib scene and certainly have nothing against him or ever had anything but a reasonable service from him other than his dad trying to take me for a ride not once but twice on engines I was trying to buy. Wasn't sharp practice or anything just his prices were to high for what he was trying to sell.

Lee left and set himself up with his own business and seems to be doing well. I first got to know Lee before this when he serviced my engines during the evening for cash. Watched him strip, rebuild and balance a bank of carbs one night. Merticulous is the only way I could describe his work. As the boss of Solent Ribs Fairweather Marine now make a good firm to use for anything to do with ribs.

He has a couple of very good priced Optimaxes in at the moment which I have my eye on.

Therefore my advice is based on the services I have received from both of them since 1993.

Peter
Old 01 December 2003, 18:51   #8

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Length: 8m +
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
Which one smells best!
Old 02 December 2003, 09:46   #9

Pete
Old 02 December 2003, 10:17   #10

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Length: 8m +
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
Quote:
Originally posted by Pete7

Pete
I'll explain, when I go into Halfords it doesn't smell like a Bike shop, when I go into a bikeshop that's been on the site for 30 years and has tyres hanging off the ceiling it smells like a Bike shop.....Wonderful

When you enter an Outboard Workshop I kinda like it if it smells of oil and stuff. One of those shops has a smell you could bottle

RW