Old 09 June 2004, 11:50   #1
RLS

Town: St.Helier
Make: Rib-X
Length: 6.4m
Engine: Outboard 200 Merc Optimax
Calling all Rib & Small boat owners - Research

Hi everyone,
I just need a few views on something I have designed for small boats and ribs. It is a unit no larger than an anchor winch (hopefully smaller come the finished product). The use of it is for boat users who like to beach there boats either up rivers or on beaches etc but can't reach either a mooring or tie off point on a jetty etc.
Out of the unit comes a type of clip (to be finalised) attached to a wire that is under constant strain from the mechanisms inside the device. The purpose of the whole unit/idea is that when the tide rises your boat is then pulled up to a mooring/tie off point so that you don't have to worry about moving/checking on your boat.
All I am asking is for you guys and girls to give me your views on whether you could see yourself ever using this mechanism.
Thanks very much in advance, I would greatly appreciated any views/questions you have.
Bob
Old 09 June 2004, 12:05   #2

Town: Bucks
Boat name: Blue & Ding Dong
Make: Ribeye,SR4 & Bombard
Length: 6m +
Engine: 115,50 & 15Hp Yams
HI Bob nice idea but half the time the tide will be going out so not much good there!
I have seen somewhere for sale a mooring rope that is elastic, so you anchor off the beech have a line to the land to pull yourself in, then the boat is pulled out again by the bungee mooring line. Looked like a good idea but was not totally convinced!
Nick
Old 09 June 2004, 14:11   #3

Town: Whitstable
Boat name: Tango
Make: Avon and Narwhal2.4m
Length: 4m +
Engine: 60HP Yamaha
Hi Bob

For any Rib space is always the main concern and more so on smaller ribs, how big and heavy is the device?, where i live the tide goes out a very long way and i've oftern had to tie two ropes together to make a huge line to reach the beach, the concept is good though in practice it might not work, let us know how you get on or if you want this thing independantly tested and i'm sure a few of the smaller owners would be willing and give constructive feed back.

Good luck though
Old 09 June 2004, 14:23   #4

Length: 5m +
MMSI: Nope
Bob....for what it's worth.

I assume this machine would reel in/pay out as required in the absence of the owner of the Rib/small boat. This assumption made then raises (for me) 2 issues..

1....some insurers will not cover a boat left unattended on the water if it is normally taken off the water (ie a rib by trailer) at the end of each day.

2....Do I really want to attach my precious boat to a mechanical contrivance (no matter how well engineered) and then leave it there for a period of time (see issue 1 above) and hope it does the job. I know call me a Luddite! but a kedge and warp pulled onto the beach have very few moving parts to go wrong.

3...(okay 3 issues!!) whenever I beach my boat and have a picnic I like to be able to see my boat to keep an eye on it and it's contents (see 1 and 2 above) that way i can move it whichever way i like dependent on the tide flow. That is all part of the fun of beaching the boat. (sad muppet that i am)

Best of luck with your venture
Robin