Click Here to Login

Old 17 December 2022, 17:07   #1

Boat name: Tina
Make: Mark Pascoe
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200
BWM Animal edition 8.8m or Cougar R8

Dear all:
What is your opinion on purchasing BWM Animal edition 8.8m or a Cougar R8?
BWM with inboard 300HP diesel and R8 with 300HP outboard.

Thank you,
Old 17 December 2022, 22:24   #2

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
Probably need to focus on your use & area of operation to decide which is best then decide which engine option suits your needs. Petrol outboard likely faster & lower maintenance, more useable boat space, diesel (sterndrive presumably?) Usualy better range and more places to fill up with fuel depending on location. Potentially easier diy maintenance (no electronic controls) might not need a laptop for fault finding depending on engine make but they are higher maintenance & servicing will cost more

Sent from my SM-G950F using RIB Net mobile app
Old 17 December 2022, 23:23   #3

Town: southampton
Boat name: TOP CAT 2
Make: Scorpion 8.1
Length: 8m +
Engine: 250hp HO
Easy for me. Bwm is a nice hull. Rapier hull based on revenger by Paul Lemmar I believe. but there are not many and it would be hard to resell. The animal one had horrid seating for offshore seas if it’s one of those. Loosely like a revenger, no face deflection and a lot of exposed upper body.

Cougar is a well reputed brand. Some might consider a “softroader” of a rib but it isn’t true. They are good boats with good build quality. The rib is far more stable than the supoerstock boats that rolled over and it’s quite a high console that makes you feel safe.

I have driven both and the rapier hull is good but the cougar is nice too. Added advantage of a cougar is the brand still exists so with resell value.
Old 18 December 2022, 09:34   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by beamishken View Post
Probably need to focus on your use & area of operation to decide which is best then decide which engine option suits your needs. Petrol outboard likely faster & lower maintenance, more useable boat space, diesel (sterndrive presumably?) Usualy better range and more places to fill up with fuel depending on location. Potentially easier diy maintenance (no electronic controls) might not need a laptop for fault finding depending on engine make but they are higher maintenance & servicing will cost more

Sent from my SM-G950F using RIB Net mobile app
Thank you, I agree, I know the advantages of petrol vs diesel. But I was wondering about the comparison of the two ribs concerning seaworthiness.
I understand the Cougar is more of a high-performance rib while the BWM of a cruiser.
Old 18 December 2022, 09:55   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtflash View Post
Easy for me. Bwm is a nice hull. Rapier hull based on revenger by Paul Lemmar I believe. but there are not many and it would be hard to resell. The animal one had horrid seating for offshore seas if it’s one of those. Loosely like a revenger, no face deflection and a lot of exposed upper body.

Cougar is a well reputed brand. Some might consider a “softroader” of a rib but it isn’t true. They are good boats with good build quality. The rib is far more stable than the supoerstock boats that rolled over and it’s quite a high console that makes you feel safe.

I have driven both and the rapier hull is good but the cougar is nice too. Added advantage of a cougar is the brand still exists so with resell value.
Thank you, yes, it is the Rapier, I want the rib to be able to cruise on a choppy sea, and to be comfortable. I saw the pictures of the seating of the Rapier and it also looks to me too high and exposed.
Old 18 December 2022, 10:10   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcob View Post
Thank you, I agree, I know the advantages of petrol vs diesel. But I was wondering about the comparison of the two ribs concerning seaworthiness.
I understand the Cougar is more of a high-performance rib while the BWM of a cruiser.
The purpose will be sailing with family and being able to sail on a choppy sea.
Old 20 December 2022, 13:02   #7

Town: Reading
Boat name: many
Make: BWM
Engine: inboard and outboard
BWM Animal edition 8.8m or Cougar R8

BWM are still around - just producing a new website at the moment