Old 16 April 2003, 07:15   #1

Town: Bandon
Make: Redbay
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki 140hp
Buying next RIB

Hi,

Just sold current boat, looking to buy another. Am considering a Ribcraft 5.85 with Ficht 115hp 2 stroke. Would be interested in comments from other Ribcraft owners on the pros/cons of owning a Ribcraft, and in particular on engine choice.

TIA :-)
Old 16 April 2003, 09:36   #2
TIM

Town: Dublin
Boat name: WIZARD
Make: REDBAY 7.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: OPTI 225
We have 2 Evinrudes 2001, the last of the OMC ones, they are the exact same motor as the 115 execpt for different porting and power......

Plugs cost about 19€ in Ireland and about 5$ in the US of the intrnet, You have to use ficht ram oil (34€ for 3.7L) and you must drive the shit out of them... they dont like been run under 3000rpm

On saying all that I think they are a great motor and woud buy another one without thinking about it, our motors have never given us a days bother execpt for maintance etc, and the have about 280hrs on them now.....

AS The Rib Goes I dont know
Old 16 April 2003, 17:44   #3

Town: winchester
Boat name: Pilchard
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Merc 90 4s
I shouldn't really give you any view on the r/c 585, as I have only owned mine since january, and she still has not been on the water apart from the obligatory test drive before purchase. I suggest you visit Jools' website, as he has a 2002 r/c 585 with which i believe he is very satisfied. For what it's worth, since experience this season may prove me completely wrong, here are my reasons for choosing r/c:
1.More than 500 5.85m hulls in use - many with professional users - there cannot be much wrong with them. Also, they are out there second hand in all sorts of seat / console layouts and if you are patient the right one will crop up eventually
2.Good size for family boating
3. Styling is a good compromise between UK 'utility' RIB and continental 'leisure' RIB
4. Renowned sea-keeping abilities of Deep V hull - Altho' i hope not to spend too much time frightening the kids in a F7, I want to feel that we could get home safe if we got caught out.
5. Very comfortable ride for length of boat - see comments ref hull - in various test drives there was nothing to compare for ride comfort at this length. Some while ago I spoke to a guy selling a nearly new Yam 550 rib with 50hp - when i asked why he had only been out in it twice, he was honest enough to admit that his wife couldn't tolerate the slamming in a sea-way
6. Reputation for build quality - see cost of building a RIB thread
7. Good cruising range with u/d tanks and 4 stroke engine
8. Not too heavy for 1 man and his missus launch / recovery routine

As i said, all this theory will be put to the test in the coming weeks, and i could yet end up in the same position as the chap with the Yam 550!!