Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 28 January 2021, 03:22   #21

Town: NSW
Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonp View Post
The opportunities in this country are so wide and varied that there is rarely go a day I don't think what a good move I made moving here from the UK.
No doubt. My friend a Dr in Geology, worked in the mines, and it was still very innapropriate. After a while he had to leave due to misconduct and fear for her safety. But Im sure that is changing slowly like you say. Pretty much everybody in the mines earns good money. Driving big trucks is another good bread winner. Its when economies slow down and the ore is not required that you see towns turn to ghost towns. Its a bit like the share market, it has boom times and low times.

Ive gone backward from my 20s, I had 2homes, a new landcruiser, a small car for the ex and a big offshore boat. If I could tell my younself something it would be not to let my ex suck more than her share and not to blow it all on rubbish haha.

I would go for a Ford if I were her, easily the best 4x4 ute now and if wanting something even more Gnarly, the Raptor f150 version. I wish.
Old 28 January 2021, 06:43   #22

Town: Scotland
Boat name: Clyde adventurer
Make: Humber
Length: 8m +
Engine: Twin Merc 150 4str
Re gluing remember the temp/ humidity is critical to a successful adhesion. It’s an indoors, heated space atm to do. I’ve found poly-marine tube cleaner and Protector very effective others will swear by other products(cif always gets a good mention).
Seating is absolutely possible to do at a fraction of the price of replacement/ pro jobs. You can buy and cut the material, foam and make bases from marine ply or plastic material, get a local commercial upholsterer to stich seating and assemble yourself with stainless staples. I did 12 seats/ backs and helm seats for about £700 would have been approx £2k to just buy from Humber.
Old 28 January 2021, 07:32   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iankristy View Post
Re gluing remember the temp/ humidity is critical to a successful adhesion. It’s an indoors, heated space atm to do. I’ve found poly-marine tube cleaner and Protector very effective others will swear by other products(cif always gets a good mention).
Seating is absolutely possible to do at a fraction of the price of replacement/ pro jobs. You can buy and cut the material, foam and make bases from marine ply or plastic material, get a local commercial upholsterer to stich seating and assemble yourself with stainless staples. I did 12 seats/ backs and helm seats for about £700 would have been approx £2k to just buy from Humber.
Yes I swear by Polymarine too, first use their "Speed Clean" and then the protector you mentioned. Cleans really soild areas with ease and the Protector does not leave a greasy type feeling like most, yet leaves the tubes looking sparkly and new.

Only hard one is how to do a Gemini Logo repaint, I could just tape around the areas, but an exact cutout would be better, it has a few triangles at the back. Just not sure which black paint would use.

Considering replacing the section of anchor shark protector material and putting a T cleat on for tying the rope off as has nowhere aside from the anchor well.

Re upholstery. I tried one guy and he is too busy, grrr. The rear seat is actually still fine, just needs a clean. Only the Jockey console is a bit dried and lifting in 2 small places. Not sure whether to just leave it and concentrate on rest of boat, possibly glue down the flaky bits or replace the seat which has some stiching at the rear. Its base is a pain ITA though, the area where one hinge is meant to go into has come apart around the screw hole areas, I could just put some epoxy or any glass type glue into it to fix it.
Old 28 January 2021, 21:20   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpearRib View Post
Yes I swear by Polymarine too, first use their "Speed Clean" and then the protector you mentioned. Cleans really soild areas with ease and the Protector does not leave a greasy type feeling like most, yet leaves the tubes looking sparkly and new.

Only hard one is how to do a Gemini Logo repaint, I could just tape around the areas, but an exact cutout would be better, it has a few triangles at the back. Just not sure which black paint would use.

Considering replacing the section of anchor shark protector material and putting a T cleat on for tying the rope off as has nowhere aside from the anchor well.

Re upholstery. I tried one guy and he is too busy, grrr. The rear seat is actually still fine, just needs a clean. Only the Jockey console is a bit dried and lifting in 2 small places. Not sure whether to just leave it and concentrate on rest of boat, possibly glue down the flaky bits or replace the seat which has some stiching at the rear. Its base is a pain ITA though, the area where one hinge is meant to go into has come apart around the screw hole areas, I could just put some epoxy or any glass type glue into it to fix it.

Can’t you get genuine Gemini logos to glue on? Remove old one and replace?
Old 29 January 2021, 03:10   #25

Quote:
Can’t you get genuine Gemini logos to glue on? Remove old one and replace?
Old one was painted on. I didnt know you can get a glue on logo?

But then I emailed gemini and they didnt answer with what type of paint to use.
Old 29 January 2021, 04:18   #26

Quote:
Old one was painted on. I didnt know you can get a glue on logo?

But then I emailed gemini and they didnt answer with what type of paint to use.

Ah ok. Mine are Humber and glued on, not sure if Gemini supply but others would[ATTACH]136173
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0782.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	136173  
Old 30 January 2021, 02:09   #27

Thanks, I dont think there is going to be any easy way to do this? Its a shame there isnt a generic Gemini logo I could just adjust to the size on the boat. Can think of any other way to do it. Vinyl paint....

Old 30 January 2021, 07:58   #28

Quote:
Thanks, I dont think there is going to be any easy way to do this? Its a shame there isnt a generic Gemini logo I could just adjust to the size on the boat. Can think of any other way to do it. Vinyl paint....

These guys print patches to order, you could just glue over the top?

http://www.rib-shop.com/blog/new-pri...-tube-signage/

[ATTACH]136184
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0787.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	136184  
Old 30 January 2021, 20:10   #29

Quote:
These guys print patches to order, you could just glue over the top?

http://www.rib-shop.com/blog/new-pri...-tube-signage/

[ATTACH]136184
That would be great but I am down under not in UK. I wonder what i search for here for find something similar.
Old 31 January 2021, 07:44   #30

Quote:
That would be great but I am down under not in UK. I wonder what i search for here for find something similar.

Sure, would think they’d post it though. Would just be a big letter or a poster roll. Hope I helped anyway [emoji3]

Tags
rib