Old 15 September 2021, 16:49   #1

Town: London
Length: 6m +
Buoyancy Aids...

Out on the water in a RIB at the weekend in Chichester Harbour, and some busy body "tool" also on a RIB came along side shouting at me and my passengers in a really obnoxious and angry manner telling us off for not wearing buoyancy aids and to get off the water immediately.

The "tool" was politely told to mind his own business and told how dare he shout at me and tell me what to do, and also told that no harbour byelaws or other rules & regulations were being broken.

Thought that the "tool" was going to have a heart attack !

Its one thing politely reminding someone re BA's; but bang out of order to shout at them telling them off and demand that they get off the water...

We made a conscious decision not to wear them - duly risk assessed. Cue the naysayers....

Anyone else had similar experiences from busy-body-tools?

[kill cord was in use BTW]
Old 15 September 2021, 17:05   #2

Town: Oldham
Boat name: Miss Isle
Make: Solent 6.9
Engine: 225 optimax
Personally I always wear one as do my passengers. Having said that I wouldn’t appreciate being shouted at by a self appointed common sense judge
Old 15 September 2021, 19:39   #3

Town: Waterlooville
Boat name: Tickler
Make: Halmatic P22
Engine: Inboard Diesel 240HP
MMSI: 235115642
RIBase
I'm an ATGATT (all the gear all the time) but I recognise that people have different attitudes towards risk so I try not to judge. I haven't been subject to what you experienced although if I did it would elicit a few irreverent comments.
Old 15 September 2021, 20:14   #4

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.mccrirrick View Post
Personally I always wear one as do my passengers. Having said that I wouldn’t appreciate being shouted at by a self appointed common sense judge
With Neil on this but a gob shite always gets my hair up. If I were RNLI picking you up near drowning I wouldn’t be best pleased either
Old 16 September 2021, 07:51   #5

Town: London
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffstevens763@g View Post
With Neil on this but a gob shite always gets my hair up. If I were RNLI picking you up near drowning I wouldn’t be best pleased either
I hear ha but we were in shallow water that can stand up in that we go swimming in unsupported without BAs. Weather, warm, sunny, blue sky, good forecast etc.... I'm a coastal windsurfer at my core and we don't wear BA's for good reason and understand the risks.

Many folks don't know the difference between BAs and LJs and clueless with the varying degrees of buoyancy plus no clue of the limitations of a BA. It irks me when folks call a BA an LJ as this demonstrates a misunderstanding the be basics of water safety.
Old 16 September 2021, 08:32   #6

Make: Zodiac
Length: under 3m
Engine: Scull
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikew4 View Post

The "tool" was politely told to mind his own business and told how dare he shout at me and tell me what to do, and also told that no harbour byelaws or other rules & regulations were being broken.
WOW..........

Maybe no rules or regs were being broken, however your certainly lacking sound and prudent judgment. If I have passengers on my boat my duty of care is to protect them from harm, not wearing a LJ/BA is foolish and stupid - regarding the 'tool'.......I'd look a little closer to home...... IMHO
Old 16 September 2021, 08:40   #7

Length: 3m +
I could probably swim the Channel if I needed to but wear a life jacket because I can't swim while unconscious or injured and generally take the view that if I've gone over the side it's likely to be due to a relatively serious and very random incident. Plus, I must set an example to those I'm responsible for. I treat them like seatbelts as something I'm never likely to need but in the rare event that they are they just make life far more simple for myself and everyone around me. My guests wear them because I'm responsible for them, I don't know their skill level and I do know how long it can take to pick someone up as well as just how difficult it can be to spot them. Like seatbelts I see zero upside in not using them regardless of the water conditions.

Should someone be getting all gobby about it? Arguably not but if there are children onboard then I see no harm in giving the supposedly responsible adult a bollocking for their abject stupidity and irresponsibility as it may focus their clouded faculties. Likewise, what right does someone have to put others, not just their guests but those who may have to help them at risk?

When I was you get it wasn't exactly uncommon for someone being silly on the water to get balled out. In many ways it's good to hear people still go to the effort. Not everything needs to be sugar coated.
Old 16 September 2021, 08:50   #8

Town: Nottinghamshire
Make: Ranieri 15
Engine: Suzuki DF50
Uh oh. Forum police alert
Old 16 September 2021, 09:04   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limecc View Post
Uh oh. Forum police alert

How can any debate on safety not be a good thing and encouraged?
Do you wear life preservers on your boat - bet you do.......
Old 16 September 2021, 09:10   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fender View Post
How can any debate on safety not be a good thing and encouraged?
Do you wear life preservers on your boat - bet you do.......
Actually always.
But debate is not encouraged by ticking somebody off like the guy doing the yelling at Chichester.

I had an experience with a guy near Kingsbridge. Narrow marked channel, 4 knots, similar sized boats. He was approaching on the starboard side yelling at me to get over as if I was in the wrong. Idiot.
Old 16 September 2021, 09:25   #11

Quote:
Actually always.
But debate is not encouraged by ticking somebody off like the guy doing the yelling at Chichester.
Debate is discouraged when a safety issue is being discussed and the first thing you say is 'Uh oh. Forum police alert', what an amazing insight and constructive addition to the thread....................
Old 16 September 2021, 09:30   #12

Fender, you're pulling the OP down for a personal and informed decision. Respect that. Maybe he regrets posting now. And don't take my comments so personally.
Old 16 September 2021, 09:38   #13
RIBnet Supporter

IMO this thread is not wearing a LJ-BA (when it should be) and anyone pointing that out is a Tool.

Old 16 September 2021, 09:42   #14

Quote:
You're pulling the OP down for a personal and informed decision. Respect that. Maybe he regrets posting now. And don't take my comments so personally.
You have to earn respect - advocating the non-use of life jackets...........no

None of your comments were taken personally - but your BS about the forum police, that IMHO belongs elsewhere
Old 16 September 2021, 09:45   #15

Quote:
You have to earn respect - advocating the non-use of life jackets...........no

None of your comments were taken personally - but your BS about the forum police, that IMHO belongs elsewhere
I didnt and you did
Old 16 September 2021, 09:49   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
IMO this thread is not wearing a LJ-BA (when it should be) and anyone pointing that out is a Tool.

Loving this
Old 16 September 2021, 13:53   #17

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Any of the passengers kids? If so that might be why he kicked off.
Old 16 September 2021, 14:31   #18
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Quote:
WOW..........

Maybe no rules or regs were being broken, however your certainly lacking sound and prudent judgment. If I have passengers on my boat my duty of care is to protect them from harm, not wearing a LJ/BA is foolish and stupid - regarding the 'tool'.......I'd look a little closer to home...... IMHO

How do you feel about people who go swimming at the seaside? Are they all lacking sound and prudent judgement too? Just wondering.
Old 16 September 2021, 14:40   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kennett View Post
How do you feel about people who go swimming at the seaside? Are they all lacking sound and prudent judgement too? Just wondering.
It's a different scenario though isn't it? One is voluntarily going into the water for the purpose of swimming ( plenty still manage to kill themselves) whereas the other is involuntary and usually part of a greater incident such as a collision etc.
Old 16 September 2021, 15:01   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kennett View Post
I guess if you do go paddling at Blackpool pleasure beach Mr Kennett then its your call what you wear

Back on topic - the OP was 'Out on the water in a RIB at the weekend in Chichester Harbour' and my response related to that

And if your still a little confused, here's a link - Oh, your welcome
https://www.rya.org.uk/knowledge/saf...ds-lifejackets,