Click Here to Login

Old 02 February 2009, 18:19   #1

Town: Gosport
Boat name: N/A
Make: N/A
Length: no boat
Engine: N/A
Build Project In Its Final Phase

The Gosport & Fareham Inshore Rescue Service (GAFIRS) are in the final phase of fitting out their new Inshore Lifeboat Jim & Molly Newton.

Its taken some five years to get to this stage of build. Over the past 15 years the service has had to raise £180K to extend the boathouse and another £150K to purchase the halmatic hull, inboard diesels, castoldi jets and launching trailer.

The halmatic P30 will be powered by 2 IVECO SRM33 diesel inboards driving twin Castoldi TD238 waterjets.

GAFIRS still require to raise approximately £30K to complete the fitting out of the new Inshore Lifeboat. This includes the purchase of either Raytheon or Furuno radar and navigational aids and the Rhotheta VHF direction finding equipment.

The radar dome, VHF Df, VHF aerials etc will be fitted to a double hoop gantry fixed to the console. The gantry needs to fold down to allow the boat to be housed, any ideas greatly received !!!!!

The previous support given to GAFIRS by RIBnet members is very much appreciated by both crew and shore crew.

www.gafirs.org.uk
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	J&M3 18th Jan.jpg
Views:	354
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	40294   Click image for larger version

Name:	J&M5 18th Jan.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	40295   Click image for larger version

Name:	J&M4 18th Jan.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	40296   Click image for larger version

Name:	J&M1 18thJan.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	40297   Click image for larger version

Name:	normal_p6.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	19.9 KB
ID:	40298  

Old 02 February 2009, 22:38   #2

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Wow, I had to put me shades on!
Old 23 February 2011, 18:35   #3

Engine Box Arrives For First Fit

The engine box and pump bay deck hatch arrived this week for first fit. Over the next 4 weeks both will be spray painted and fittings attached.

The two inspection hatches on the main engine box will have gas struts fitted. Maritex insulation will be fitted internally and knit mesh will add additional protection behind the air intake louvres.

The rear section will be hinged to allow access to the sea cocks, raw water strainers and engine components.

All of the top side will be covered in treadmaster to ensure a non slip surface.

Its taken quite some time to get this far but money is very tight at the moment !!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	XMAS Minnie and Engine Box 069.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	57254   Click image for larger version

Name:	XMAS Minnie and Engine Box 073.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	57255   Click image for larger version

Name:	XMAS Minnie and Engine Box 077.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	57256  
Old 23 February 2011, 18:55   #4

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
Please excuse me for asking the question, but would an ex RNLI Atlantic 21 not have done the job for a fraction of the money?
Old 23 February 2011, 19:28   #5

Town: Bristol
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha
yes i was thinking that!! overkill springs to mind ??? did the fundraisers know that there were more economic options out there!!
Old 23 February 2011, 21:03   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollers View Post
Please excuse me for asking the question, but would an ex RNLI Atlantic 21 not have done the job for a fraction of the money?
Not really, would have been a step back from the current craft that is in service, a 7.4m Avon.

Its replacement will allow us to continue providing the first class service that we have to date. Might consider an 85 but think the P30 will be a better craft !!!!!
Old 23 February 2011, 21:08   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt h View Post
yes i was thinking that!! overkill springs to mind ??? did the fundraisers know that there were more economic options out there!!
Throughout the fit out, full consideration has had to be given to the proposed Rescue Boat Code. Frustrating thing is that the Code has been in draft format for over 5 years now.

From what I've heard of some of the economic options out there, there is a problem with them falling apart quite quickly.

At 120 plus incidents a year, we need a hull and fittings that we can rely on. Guess thats why the Halmatics are so popular with the MOD.
Old 23 February 2011, 21:32   #8
CJL

Town: London/Oxford
Make: Ribcrafts
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150hp/2x115hp
MMSI: 235090215
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to CJL
Erm just how much do you think the RNLI boats costs?

D class - whats wrong with a Avon Searider?
E class - jet drives and two attempts at building a console - really?? The Met police manage fine with props on stock Delta's!
Mersey Class - many equally as good pilot type boats out there!

Plus there are must be considerable R & D costs associated with the development of the boats.

Chris
Old 23 February 2011, 23:11   #9
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollers View Post
Whilst I can see where you are coming from - surely if the boat is no longer suitable for service by the RNLI then its not suitable for an Indy either? Now I'm sure when the RNLI get rid of boats they still have some life left - but have they reached a point where the economics make more sense for a new boat, in which case the same would apply to these guys. To get 10 years 'heavy duty' reliable service out of it you'd probably end up completely refurbing it anyway, new tubes, new engines, new electronics etc... Presumably there is a justification for such a big boat.

On top of which I suspect all Indy lifeboats are continually in a battle to prove (to those they help, those who work for them and those who donate) that they are as credible and serious as the RNLI - in which case there is a "PR Value" in not having a hand-me-down boat.