Old 30 September 2021, 09:36   #1

Town: Bradford
RIBase
Bringing the rib home for winter - daytrip suggestions?

Hi all,

We were going to head off to Anglesey for one last weekend today, but the forecast is crap so the Mrs is having none of it!

I think this would be the last break of the year, so I'm considering bringing the boat home and taking it for days out rather than weekend breaks.

We're Leeds/Bradford based, so I'm wondering if there is anywhere within a couple of hours drive that we could launch (it's trailer launched), have a potter up a river/estuary, and stop off somewhere at a riverside pub for lunch?

Seems such a shame to leave our new toy all winter having only used it for 1 proper weekend since we bought it!

I am sure that if I promised The Management a nice day out upstream, tie up to a pub's private jetty to grab a bit of lunch and a pint she'd be up for that.

The question is....where?!

Any suggestions greatly appreciated
Old 30 September 2021, 12:35   #2

Town: Nottinghamshire
Make: Ranieri 15
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki DF50
Quote:
Originally Posted by citygent111 View Post
Hi all,

We were going to head off to Anglesey for one last weekend today, but the forecast is crap so the Mrs is having none of it!

I think this would be the last break of the year, so I'm considering bringing the boat home and taking it for days out rather than weekend breaks.

We're Leeds/Bradford based, so I'm wondering if there is anywhere within a couple of hours drive that we could launch (it's trailer launched), have a potter up a river/estuary, and stop off somewhere at a riverside pub for lunch?

Seems such a shame to leave our new toy all winter having only used it for 1 proper weekend since we bought it!

I am sure that if I promised The Management a nice day out upstream, tie up to a pub's private jetty to grab a bit of lunch and a pint she'd be up for that.

I can only think of the Trent, Ouse or Humber which are an easy M62 trip for you.

I'm looking at a tidal Trent outing myself, having no speed limits downstream of Gainsborough will make a nice change. I'll launch at West Stockwith, an hour's drive. The lock is manned according to tide and the location's not listed in the Imray app so I found it's possible to get real time interactive charts of river levels and work out when is most favourable to launch.
E.g. https://flood-warning-information.service.gov.uk/station/Gainsborough

Info would have helped no end when we tried to go as far as possible on the Tamar and Dart.
https://flood-warning-information.se...and-sea-levels
Old 30 September 2021, 12:42   #3

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Hi all,

Pick your days/tides & you can do Whitby & run up to Staithes & have lunch at the Cod and Lobster.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2021, 12:55   #4

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
Pick your days/tides & you can do Whitby & run up to Staithes & have lunch at the Cod and Lobster.
Now that DOES sound interesting!

What's the situation with taking a boat into Staithes harbour? Can I just get it up onto the sand and chuck the anchor out?!
Old 30 September 2021, 13:00   #5

Quote:
Now that DOES sound interesting!

What's the situation with taking a boat into Staithes harbour? Can I just get it up onto the sand and chuck the anchor out?!
I'm launching from Whitby Marina here.
Old 30 September 2021, 13:05   #6

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limecc View Post
I can only think of the Trent, Ouse or Humber which are an easy M62 trip for you.

I'm looking at a tidal Trent outing myself, having no speed limits downstream of Gainsborough will make a nice change. I'll launch at West Stockwith, an hour's drive. The lock is manned according to tide and the location's not listed in the Imray app so I found it's possible to get real time river levels and work out when is favourable to launch.
E.g. https://flood-warning-information.service.gov.uk/station/Gainsborough

Would have helped no end when we tried to go as far up the Tamar or Dart as possible.
https://flood-warning-information.service.gov.uk/station/Gunnislake
Thanks Limecc, yes I was thinking probably the Ouse would be the nicest run, maybe York towards Ripon. Not sure about accessible pubs on the Ouse though?

I must admit I do like the idea of plodding along at 6kts - the engine would be just ticking over at that speed but the fuel should last a bit longer than last time!

Just another thought - what's the deal on Boat Safety Scheme if going on the rivers? Mine's a 3.8m rib with outboard. Should I just get a day visitor pass, or even one of the 30 day Explorer type tickets?
Old 30 September 2021, 13:07   #7

Quote:
Thanks Limecc, yes I was thinking probably the Ouse would be the nicest run, maybe York towards Ripon. Not sure about accessible pubs on the Ouse though?

I must admit I do like the idea of plodding along at 6kts - the engine would be just ticking over at that speed but the fuel should last a bit longer than last time!

Just another thought - what's the deal on Boat Safety Scheme if going on the rivers? Mine's a 3.8m rib with outboard. Should I just get a day visitor pass, or even one of the 30 day Explorer type tickets?
I buy the 30 day explorer, I think they canned the day license and I'm not buying a week license.
Old 30 September 2021, 13:07   #8

RIBase
Quote:
I'm launching from Whitby Marina here.
Any parking for car/trailer there?
Old 30 September 2021, 13:09   #9

Quote:
Huge long term car park at the top of the slip as well as the Marina spaces. It doesn't get any easier or cheaper.
Old 30 September 2021, 13:21   #10

RIBase
Quote:

Around £25 to launch & park at Whitby. You can get into Staithes around 2hrs either side of HW, hence the comment about picking your tide. You can tie up against the wall on the south side.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0910.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	151.2 KB
ID:	138966Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0915.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	116.7 KB
ID:	138967
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Old 30 September 2021, 13:22   #11

RIBase
Quote:
Around £25 to launch & park at Whitby. You can get into Staithes around 2hrs either side of HW, hence the comment about picking your tide. You can tie up against the wall on the south side.
Attachment 138966Attachment 138967
That's great - would you need to notify a harbourmaster or anything?
Old 30 September 2021, 13:25   #12

RIBase
Quote:
That's great - would you need to notify a harbourmaster or anything?

Nope, tie up, use a bit of common sense & enjoy. Never seen a harbour master type in Staithes tbh. You can sit in the Cod & Lobster and keep an eye on the boat.
Old 30 September 2021, 13:25   #13

Just measured Whitby -> Staithes in Google maps and it's 8 miles by sea.
Old 30 September 2021, 13:35   #14

RIBase
That sounds perfect - set off an hour or two before high tide, 30 minutes up the coast, a couple of hours taking refreshments, then back to Whitby before the harbour dries out!

Excellent chaps, thank you. Apparently Staithes harbourmaster office is unmanned. Begs the question - what's the point? Ah well....

So that's option 1 - the sea. Onto option 2 - the rivers.......!

I think 1st job is to identify possible "lunch stops" and see how to get there. An afternoon of Google Maps awaits I think!
Old 30 September 2021, 13:48   #15

RIBase
Quote:
That sounds perfect - set off an hour or two before high tide, 30 minutes up the coast, a couple of hours taking refreshments, then back to Whitby before the harbour dries out!

Excellent chaps, thank you. Apparently Staithes harbourmaster office is unmanned. Begs the question - what's the point? Ah well....

So that's option 1 - the sea. Onto option 2 - the rivers.......!

I think 1st job is to identify possible "lunch stops" and see how to get there. An afternoon of Google Maps awaits I think!

If it’s a nice day, & you wanted a longer trip, you could run down to Scarborough, tie up in the marina (for free) & have fish & chips in the Tunny Club.
Old 30 September 2021, 13:54   #16

Couple of nice pubs that serve food (also has caravan site) at West Stockwith. Can also get to Lincoln via wide canal at Torksey. I thought of an overnight stay before setting off early, or an overnight stay afterward.
Old 30 September 2021, 13:56   #17

Quote:
If it’s a nice day, & you wanted a longer trip, you could run down to Scarborough, tie up in the marina (for free) & have fish & chips in the Tunny Club.
18 miles

Scarborough to Filey (9 miles) would be nice but for difficult mooring, only shallow gradient beach.

Never tried this but launching at Selby up the Ouse to the Ship Inn or Blacksmiths Arms? It's 20 miles and would be a long day at reduced speed. Problem with rivers is often that the slipway is private and hence closes outside marina hours. Such return pressure can take away the enjoyment.

I had to gobble hot food and burned my mouth while at Calstock on the Tamar. This wasn't because we launched from a marina, was worried about being cut off from Plymouth Sound because of a falling tide. Took forever to serve the food despite the place being half empty!
Old 30 September 2021, 15:18   #18

RIBase
Quote:
18 miles

Scarborough to Filey (9 miles) would be nice but for difficult mooring, only shallow gradient beach.

Never tried this but launching at Selby up the Ouse to the Ship Inn or Blacksmiths Arms? It's 20 miles and would be a long day at reduced speed. Problem with rivers is often that the slipway is private and hence closes outside marina hours. Such return pressure can take away the enjoyment.

I had to gobble hot food and burned my mouth while at Calstock on the Tamar. This wasn't because we launched from a marina, was worried about being cut off from Plymouth Sound because of a falling tide. Took forever to serve the food despite the place being half empty!
That's the problem isn't it? What sounds like a lovely day out on paper can quickly go south and ends up being memorable for the wrong reasons!
Old 30 September 2021, 15:22   #19

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Bit further but st Abbs is very nice I’ve done it in a day from Retford loads of times also Redcar off the beach in front of the life boat house.
Old 01 October 2021, 11:56   #20

RIBase
Funnily enough we were up near St Abbs back in May - just before we bought the boat, so I never really paid attention to things like slipways!

We're going to ask a neighbour who has a huge garden if we can store the boat there over winter. That will make it far more accessible, plus I can go tinker to my hearts content whenever I've been kicked out by The Management!

Tags
rib