Old 15 March 2011, 00:38   #1

Town: San Francisco
Boat name: Solution
Make: Bombard
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki
Bombard Explorer 730

I'm in the process of purchasing a 2008 Bombard Explorer and I am having a hard time finding much about it on the net. I am told it is built in France and that the company is owned by Zodiac, however I cannot find much information about this particular boat. Does anyone know where this boat is built? Any other info would be great! Thanks a bunch!
Old 16 March 2011, 00:11   #2

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Bombard is now part of the Zodiac Group, which includes Avon.

I don't really know much about the Bombard RIB line. I know the Bombard SIB's were really well-built prior to the takeover. Haven't heard much since.

jky
Old 06 August 2012, 02:50   #3

Town: San Francisco
Boat name: Solution
Make: Bombard
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki
Ok! So, I found out a bit about this RIB as I've gone along. I have owned the boat for a little over a year and have put 250 hours on it. I've found out that these were the first ribs that Bombard built after Zodiac bought them. It has Zodiac pvc tubes, which I've been told are very durable. I've kept mine under a cheap blue tarp which I've replaced 3 times now, and it shows no sign of sun damage. I've been told it has a Zodiac military hull. I cannot verify this however, I can tell you that everyone comments about the ride. While stationary it carriers a lot of windage and will coast readily across the surface. At even the slowest speed however it locks in and easy easy to handle. At high speeds especially with steep chop is where she really shines. You keep her nose down and she cuts though and rides like a dream. She's stable, nimble and fast. The boat is surprisingly dry except for the after third gets spray while the wind it on the beam in over 15kts or so. I have used the boat to video from and have been successful using a tripod most of the time. My only real negative is that the tubes do not have regulating valves. A 15 degree temperature change radically changes the pressure in the tubes. It's really not the big of a deal. You pump it firm in the morning and by the afternoon when it's honkin', you're perfect. I have had to exhaust a bit of air from time to time, however it's a minimal amount and was probably just fine.
There aren't too many of these our there, and I know I had a tough time finding anything about this boat. So, I'm hoping someone will read this making their decision making easy than was mine. Mine is a 7.4M
Old 06 August 2012, 04:42   #4
RIBnet supporter

Town: Newcastle
Boat name: Merlin
Make: RB4 Gemini 550
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 90C
you could have over pressure valves put in.
with a big temp variation where you are it may be worthwhile, rather than have the internal baffles let go ..