Old 03 August 2020, 20:55   #1

Length: 4m +
Bombard C4 vs. short-shaft aluminium RIBs vs. ?

Hello,

I currently own a 4 m SIB with aluminium floor and inflatable keel. Due to some very good SIBbing sessions , the aluminium floor is now broken, therefore, I'm looking for a new and better base boat to continue with my existing 2005 Yamaha 30D short shaft engine + electric 54 lbs, and my Brenderup 8415 trailer.

As mentioned, the boat is getting trailered (the boat is stored in a garage), therefore I'm a little torn apart what to go for. An option would be to get a Bombard C4, bolt on the engine and continue the fun. Or as an alternative,
getting one of those 420 aluminium hull short shaft ribs (Sun Marine, Lava Marine, BS Marine RIB 420 AL A, Quicksilver 420 Rib [ok, the Quicksilver's beam is too narrow], etc.).

I think I will experience quite some performance gain (in terms of rough water, not speed) with this partial upgrade, but is it worth it sticking with the current (reliable) engine and trailer for 4-5k upgrade cost on the base boat?

And will there be a significant step from a C4 to a shallow-V aluminium RIB? Or should I even directly go for a SR4(.7)

I would really appreciate your input on this matter
Old 04 August 2020, 07:01   #2
RIBnet supporter

Town: Cowes
Boat name: Clear Dawn
Make: Cormate
Length: 7m +
Engine: Verado 200
MMSI: 235924981
The main thing to consider is what you want it for, the main advantage of SIBs is that they are easy to beach - it’s a pain in a RIB! RIBs are much better at sea and if you’re trailering, just as easy to launch.
I can only comment on the SR4 option, IMO the best choice for a boat that size but you’d need to change the engine to go bigger, at least 40hp.
I doubt you’d find one without an engine anyway.
Old 04 August 2020, 07:57   #3

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
been out with a quicksilver 420 last week end great boat narrowness might be an issue to you depending on how you set it out. there's some footage of it on my excel 435 build from scratch thread.
personally i prefer a sib
Old 04 August 2020, 12:15   #4

Town: Stirling
Boat name: The Gurnard
Make: Quicksilver
Engine: mariner 25hp 2s
Quote:
Originally Posted by VelVel View Post
Hello,
Quicksilver 420 Rib [ok, the Quicksilver's beam is too narrow], etc.).

Hi VelVel ... Dont let the narrow beam of the Quicksilver put you off.. for info only ..its 170 cm . and for comparison the Bombard C4 is 175 cm. Will that extra 5 cm will make a big difference to you ?

Personally I am finding the Quicksilver 420 Alu RIB far superior in rough seas to my 430HD wooden floored SIB and its beam was 195cm ... But best of all its silent in a chop ..where the floors of my SIB were always creaking and groaning in the rough stuff.

I have beached it overnight a few times now with no signs of any damage..and it was bounced about a bit as it dried out here. Note the Excel Volaire 430 beside the RIB with its massive 2m beam .. as far as Im concerned .. cant touch it for performance even in rough waters.. the sea at the Rhinns of Galloway on Sunday was a good test ..heavy overfalls and force 4-5 conditions the following day.

However everyone is different so what suits me may not suit you. Best try out the boat you decide on first if that is possible
Old 04 August 2020, 14:58   #5

Length: 5m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffstevens763@g View Post
personally i prefer a sib
Just out of interest, why?

Now, back to the original post... how did you manage to break the aluminum floor?! They are rather strong.

If you like to be out when it is a bit choppy/ rough then I can highly recommend the Avon Searider option and I doubt you would regret it. The Bombard Commando's wooden keel doesn't do as much as you might expect and those boats do not perform as well as proper RIBs.
Old 04 August 2020, 21:41   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixtyNorth View Post
Now, back to the original post... how did you manage to break the aluminum floor?! They are rather strong.
Well, a good day on the baltic sea, four people on board and a nice chop. As a result, the inner aluminum stringer (holding the floor panels) with its horizontal guides disintegrated on both sides close to the transom, and broke vertically on one side about one meter away from the transom.

Quote:
If you like to be out when it is a bit choppy/ rough then I can highly recommend the Avon Searider option and I doubt you would regret it. The Bombard Commando's wooden keel doesn't do as much as you might expect and those boats do not perform as well as proper RIBs.
The Seariders could be an option, but are very hard to find here around Germany (only "project" boats in bad condition).
Old 04 August 2020, 21:43   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gurnard View Post
Hi VelVel ... Dont let the narrow beam of the Quicksilver put you off.. for info only ..its 170 cm . and for comparison the Bombard C4 is 175 cm. Will that extra 5 cm will make a big difference to you ?
It might, as it is already a 13 cm difference in width to my old SIB, and mounting the electric Aux Engine could also be tough. But your Quicksilver build thread looks really good, so after reading it might be worth doing this upgrade .
Old 05 August 2020, 05:18   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by VelVel View Post
Well, a good day on the baltic sea, four people on board and a nice chop. As a result, the inner aluminum stringer (holding the floor panels) with its horizontal guides disintegrated on both sides close to the transom, and broke vertically on one side about one meter away from the transom.
That doesn't sound good. What boat was it? Were the tubes fully inflated to the correct pressure at the time?
Old 05 August 2020, 05:36   #9

All tubes were correctly inflated (tubes 0.25 bar, keel 0.35 bar), but perhaps it's just been the make and quality (Jet Line Sea Cat 4.0 II, made in China by Weihei Noahyacht). Still, it has been a very good starter SIB for the last six years.
Old 05 August 2020, 09:01   #10

Town: Stirling
Boat name: The Gurnard
Make: Quicksilver
Engine: mariner 25hp 2s
I think eventually the floors do give up on the big SIBS. Mine was 16 years old but as well as the transom glue starting to fail.. I broke the front floor join section several years ago. It was an easy repair. Two years ago I bolted galvanized steel bars across each wooden floor sections as they were warping to the shape of the inflatable keel underneath the floor. Again this solved the problem. Several years ago a floorboard wore through a tube causing a leak. Just wear and tear. Again it was repaired easy enough but I think there comes a time to call it a day.

A major failure in a rough sea was always on the back of my mind. A friend's Honwave ali floor was also buckling with constant use in heavy seas .. so we are not the only ones. It happens with heavy usage though..a casual user shouldn’t have much issues.

Im still getting used to the lightweight Alu hull RIB but it certainly does not cause me concern in rough water. However the SIBS can handle the rough water just as well. Neither will sink or fill with water.

The RIB drives like a motorbike instead of a soggy mattress. Far better fuel consumption. I even notice when towing the RIB compared the wide SIB..the car computer is getting 2mpg more which all helps. Its much easier to launch when on trailer with rollers. Very much quieter when underway. It does not slam any more than the SIB did ..in other words I slow down if it gets too uncomfortable..but hey..even car ferrys do that. I can keep speed up for longer in the RIB than the SIB though..but need more testing to ensure that is consistant.

I wondered how the low short shaft transom would get on in a following sea as its noticeably lower than the SIBS ..however having a 2m swell chasing the boat at the weekend and at times overtaking it.. it was not a problem.

Example ..This wave is towering high above the horizon and the boat just bobbed as it passed by ..it started breaking as it passed but no water came over the low transom.

Advantages of my old 430 size SIB ?

I always stuck up for its performance in the past ..however now the only advantage I can give is cost and the fact it could be rolled up and put in the shed at the end of the season .. Oh..and internal space on SIB is generally much bigger. I cant think of any other advantage at present. That may change if I put a hole in the tinny when hauling it on a beach..but I doubt that will damage it either.

Would I go back to a Heavy SIB on a trailer again ? Yes..if I was skint ..but not for any other reason as the small Ali Hulls are the same weight as the Floored SIBS of similar size. The best part of my upgrade was it uses my existing SIB outboards so not an expensive upgrade relative to other upgrades

All my opinion based on my experience..others may disagree ..but I hope it helps some.
Old 05 August 2020, 09:33   #11

RIBase
Quote:
Just out of interest, why?

why do people buy land rover defenders? same reason i like SIBS ive owned deep v & shallow v hulled ribs for years the SIB is a return to the old days and i enjoy my SIB more than ever. i dont disagree with gurnard re his new purchase it's a lovely boat and performs very well sadly i forgot to ask for a shot in her on our last trip but there will be other times i'm sure
Old 05 August 2020, 10:31   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffstevens763@g View Post
why do people buy land rover defenders
I am not sure... I have a Series 2A.

Joking aside, that does make sense. I have always enjoyed the simplicity of SIBs. A lot of capability for a very reasonable amount of money.
Old 05 August 2020, 12:04   #13

RIBase
Quote:
I am not sure... I have a Series 2A.

Joking aside, that does make sense. I have always enjoyed the simplicity of SIBs. A lot of capability for a very reasonable amount of money.
i did the easedale RR report below in my mercury 365 HDXS SIB much slower than the ribs but shows how a sib can cope.

sorry for going off topic

2017 Report - Easdale RIB Rendezvous
Old 06 August 2020, 00:37   #14

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
We have an aluminium hull rib as a tender to our hard boat & its night and day compared to the previous air deck excell & lighter too
I've said it before and totally agree with Gurnard, the only advantage a sib has over a rib is the ability to fold up and the cost. In every other way a rib will beat a sib every time
Old 06 August 2020, 06:00   #15

Town: Oldham
Boat name: Miss Isle
Make: Solent 6.9
Length: 6m +
Engine: 225 optimax
Strong points does make you want to look closely at f-ribs it seems that's is the niche they fill. No experience of any of the boats mentioned but I do read this with interest [emoji106]

Tags
rib