Old 26 February 2018, 19:34   #1

Town: Limavady
Boat name: Jay
Make: Zodiac
Length: 4m +
Engine: Outboard
Boatsandoutboards.co.uk

Hi,
Has anyone any experiences using this website for buying a boat? I have found a Zodiac Pro 500 on it which I am keen to buy, but I am nervous of sending them money online and expect the boat to arrive in a few days. The whole process sounds very straight forward and safe but I am just not sure.
Thanks in advance.

Chris
Old 26 February 2018, 19:41   #2

Oft....full of scammers amoung genuine adverts so it hard to tell easily sometimes, eBay is same sometimes with too good to be true boat adverts.

Buying online from that site (or any site with used or expensive items)and expecting shipping is asking for trouble...unless you can walk into the place with cash and take it home you are taking a big risk....I wouldn't go near it unless it was from a VERY VERY reputable dealer and I would be doing due diligence on them and contacting them directly.

I'm not against it as I paid a significant number for my boat I had never seen but it was from a very reputable rib dealer (JBT marine). I still took a risk though as people were sniffing round the Boat so I ponied up. the first time I seen it was day it got delivered 450 miles away from their base. I had seen pics of course and a video of the boat so buying online is possible if done carefully.

However, if possible it is always best to test something before you buy it and doing it face to face will always be best.

If it is a private sale I wouldn't dream of parting with the wedge as it will likely goto a Nigerian hedge fund and you are several grand down.

Ask if you can come see it and if you get pushback then run away from it.

Do your homework and be careful.
Old 26 February 2018, 20:02   #3

Town: Denny
Boat name: Highland Bluewater
Length: 6m +
I'm only seeing one boat that matches that description on their site and if I was going to part with that kind of money I'd make the effort to go and see it and I'd be going home either with the money still secure in the bank or with the boat hitched to the car.
Most sellers will let you do an on the spot transfer at the point of sale so as you're not carrying cash and if it sounds legit. it's probably worth gambling a small deposit for them to hold it until you get there but DO NOT send someone 10 or 11K and wait for the boat to turn up.
The advert might look legitimate but that's because scammed adverts are generally cloned from ads that were posted legitimately maybe months or years ago.
Not saying by any means this one is but the balloon generally bursts when you ask to see the boat and they are in anyway obstructive about that.
Old 26 February 2018, 20:03   #4

Town: Bristol
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chribl View Post
Hi,
Has anyone any experiences using this website for buying a boat? I have found a Zodiac Pro 500 on it which I am keen to buy, but I am nervous of sending them money online and expect the boat to arrive in a few days. The whole process sounds very straight forward and safe but I am just not sure.
Thanks in advance.

Chris
LOTS of scams on that site.
Old 26 February 2018, 20:08   #5

Town: Limavady
Boat name: Jay
Make: Zodiac
Engine: Outboard
Its apparently in their custody in their warehouse in Aberdeen they have said that I can go and view and pay in person its just a bit awkward that I live in Northern Ireland. They also said as I am a first time customer 50% now and 50% on delivery if I want.
Old 26 February 2018, 20:16   #6

The phone number is in Devon yet boat is in aberdeen...whilst that is possible when you couple it with pay 50% now and rest later that is as much as I would research and move on. First time customer....yeah....RIGHT

12 grand buys a decent rib...keep looking.
Old 26 February 2018, 20:18   #7

Town: Girvan & Tayvallich
Boat name: Breawatch
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury 150 F/stroke
MMSI: ex directory!!
RIBase
I am very wary here!! I agree with Xk59D. To settle you why not give Sparticus a pm as he lives up there he maybe able to help.
Member of SABS ( Scottish West Division)
jambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2018, 20:33   #8

Make: Destroyer 5.5/Ring18
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 90HP/Yam200HP
Tell them you have a work mate in Aberdeen and they will view it, see if you get an address from them .....
Old 26 February 2018, 20:38   #9

Town: Caernarfon
Boat name: Bay Bar Dos
Make: Tornado
Length: 6m +
Engine: Honda 130
MMSI: 235092178
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69cmw View Post
Tell them you have a work mate in Aberdeen and they will view it, see if you get an address from them .....

Tell them nothing and walk away from it, definitely a scam I’m afraid
Old 26 February 2018, 20:39   #10

This is the original advert perhaps...showing as sold too.

Salcombe Boat Brokerage - Boats For Sale in Devon - Zodiac Pro 500 + Suzuki 60hp
Old 26 February 2018, 20:39   #11

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
I'll be in Aberdeen next week I could call in for a look but it sounds like a scam to me.
Ask them for the address and tell them you have a pal working in Aberdeen for a couple of days next week (not sure what 2 days yet) and see if I can see the thing in person.
My suspicion is they will make an excuse why I can't view it
Old 26 February 2018, 20:48   #12

Out of interest, what email address did they reply with?

If it is a personal email you could check the headers for origin IP...be interesting to see where it is. Although that can be spoofed easily but I wonder just how far scammers go.

IF it is genuine then this is the business info for salcombe

Name
Joe Allen
Organization
Futureclient Ltd
Address
Unit 2 Farthingmead
Address
Lower Union Road
City
Kingsbridge
State / Province
Devon
Postal Code
TQ7 1EF
Country
GB
Phone
+44.1548853214
Email
admin@futureclient.co.uk
Old 26 February 2018, 21:14   #13

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
I wouldn't be handing over any cash. This thing smells like a scam so far.

First off it's a boat brokerage in Salcombe, but the actual boat is at the other end of the country in a warehouse?

Zodiac 500s aren't particularly rare and with £12k to spend you'll easily be able to pick a great example. First off, most are PVC, so I'd want to visually inspect tube-set for wear and tear. They're damned expensive to replace otherwise.

Hull and fibreglass deck fittings need a thorough inspection too. Early examples used to get spider-web gel-coat stress marks. Serial number on hull ID should match with original delivery paperwork. It's only 2012, so that should be available.

Lastly the engine. I'd want more paperwork than the UK's Brexit negotiations, compression test across all cylinders and to see it run from cold on a frosty morning on muffs.

I'm free at the weekend if it's local and can post pictures, but do your research first.
Old 27 February 2018, 07:55   #14

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
For the same money - this is in Hampshire. Better seating configuration, A-Frame, better trailer, and more horses.
https://www.apolloduck.com/boat.phtml?id=552690

Wills Marine also has a Zodiac 9-man (4.7m). Okay it's under-powered, but that's easily remedied. Second Hand - Used - Pre Owned - Boats - RIBs - For Sale - Devon

Don't be tempted with this one - it has to be a scam.
2010 Zodiac 500 with Evinrude 50hp (78 hours) and free UK delivery all in for for £3900. https://www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk/...pro-500/206759

Tags
outboard