Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 26 September 2022, 15:06   #1
Member
 
Wightdiver's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Fareham
Boat name: Red Dog
Make: Porters Renegade
Length: 6m +
Engine: 150 HP Yamaha
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 588
Boat Transport

Hi all, I need to get my 6.5m rib on a trailer, 7.1m LOA, moved from the river Hamble about 2 miles to my home. The trailer is sound but not road legal so it will need to go onto another trailer or car transporter.

I am struggling to find someone to do it, anyone have and contacts or suggestions?

Thanks

Andy
__________________

__________________
Wightdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2022, 15:22   #2
Member
 
Pikey Dave's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 11,347
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wightdiver View Post
Hi all, I need to get my 6.5m rib on a trailer, 7.1m LOA, moved from the river Hamble about 2 miles to my home. The trailer is sound but not road legal so it will need to go onto another trailer or car transporter.



I am struggling to find someone to do it, anyone have and contacts or suggestions?



Thanks



Andy


In what way isnít the trailer road legal?
__________________

__________________
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unkIVvjZc9Y
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2022, 15:52   #3
Member
 
Wightdiver's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Fareham
Boat name: Red Dog
Make: Porters Renegade
Length: 6m +
Engine: 150 HP Yamaha
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 588
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
In what way isnít the trailer road legal?
No brakes, and its undersized for the boat, one big pot hole and I fear it might collapse
__________________
Wightdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2022, 16:01   #4
Member
 
Pikey Dave's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 11,347
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wightdiver View Post
No brakes, and its undersized for the boat, one big pot hole and I fear it might collapse


Ah! Do you have any tame local farmers with a tractor & flat bed?
__________________
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unkIVvjZc9Y
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2022, 16:02   #5
Member
 
paulhe35's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Whitley Bay
Boat name: Magnum
Make: Revenger
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yanmar Diesel 315hp
MMSI: 232020638
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 18
RIBase
In 2018 I had a Revenger 29 moved from Hythe Marina Village to North Shields by Southampton Transport Ltd (Brian Rowlands). They used a large Hallmark Roller Coaster trailer. Might be worth a call.
__________________
paulhe35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2022, 16:04   #6
Member
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Make: Destroyer 5.5/Ring18
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 90HP/Yam200HP
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 852
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wightdiver View Post
No brakes, and its undersized for the boat, one big pot hole and I fear it might collapse


Avoid potholes, itís only 2 miles
__________________
69cmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2022, 16:06   #7
Member
 
Wightdiver's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Fareham
Boat name: Red Dog
Make: Porters Renegade
Length: 6m +
Engine: 150 HP Yamaha
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 588
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69cmw View Post
Avoid potholes, itís only 2 miles
I must admit I am tempted!!!!!
__________________
Wightdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2022, 16:06   #8
Member
 
Wightdiver's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Fareham
Boat name: Red Dog
Make: Porters Renegade
Length: 6m +
Engine: 150 HP Yamaha
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 588
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulhe35 View Post
In 2018 I had a Revenger 29 moved from Hythe Marina Village to North Shields by Southampton Transport Ltd (Brian Rowlands). They used a large Hallmark Roller Coaster trailer. Might be worth a call.
Thanks I will give them a try.

Andy
__________________
Wightdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2022, 16:35   #9
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Abersoch
Boat name: vanishing point
Make: phantom, Ribtec
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200hp
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 402
I hire a tri axle car transport trailer to move boats on questionable trailers! Aprox £50 per day hire
__________________
whiskylee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2022, 17:39   #10
Member
 
Wightdiver's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Fareham
Boat name: Red Dog
Make: Porters Renegade
Length: 6m +
Engine: 150 HP Yamaha
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 588
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskylee View Post
I hire a tri axle car transport trailer to move boats on questionable trailers! Aprox £50 per day hire
Good idea, thanks
__________________
Wightdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2022, 17:43   #11
Member
 
Wightdiver's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Fareham
Boat name: Red Dog
Make: Porters Renegade
Length: 6m +
Engine: 150 HP Yamaha
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 588
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
Ah! Do you have any tame local farmers with a tractor & flat bed?
Unfortunately not
__________________
Wightdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2022, 08:40   #12
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Waterlooville
Boat name: Tickler
Make: Halmatic P22
Length: 6m +
Engine: Inboard Diesel 240HP
MMSI: 235115642
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 1,715
RIBase
I used Blendworth trailers when I moved my boat on its yard trailer.

Trailer Hire UK | Portsmouth trailer hire, fridge trailer hire, freezer trailer hire, Brenderup boat trailers for hire Hampshire,refrigerated trailer hire, exhibition trailer hire, bike trailers for hire, Brenderup UK trailer sales, Portsmouth boat t

I did initially try Shiply but the trailer of the chap that turned up wasn't suitable so I did it myself in the end.
__________________
GuyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2022, 10:04   #13
Member
 
Wightdiver's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Fareham
Boat name: Red Dog
Make: Porters Renegade
Length: 6m +
Engine: 150 HP Yamaha
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 588
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyC View Post
I used Blendworth trailers when I moved my boat on its yard trailer.

Trailer Hire UK | Portsmouth trailer hire, fridge trailer hire, freezer trailer hire, Brenderup boat trailers for hire Hampshire,refrigerated trailer hire, exhibition trailer hire, bike trailers for hire, Brenderup UK trailer sales, Portsmouth boat t

I did initially try Shiply but the trailer of the chap that turned up wasn't suitable so I did it myself in the end.
Thanks, just called them but unfortunately my trailer wheel base is 2.4m and they don't have anything wide enough.
__________________
Wightdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2022, 10:23   #14
Member
 
Pikey Dave's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 11,347
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wightdiver View Post
Thanks, just called them but unfortunately my trailer wheel base is 2.4m and they don't have anything wide enough.


Iíd be picking a nice quiet Sunday afternoon & going for it
__________________
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unkIVvjZc9Y
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2022, 11:26   #15
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Dorset
Boat name: Seabadger 2
Make: Delta / Ribcraft 6.8
Length: 7m +
Engine: Various
MMSI: -
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 731
I'd suggest Alan Edney boat transport. He's local to you and has done me an excellent service twice before even bringing my Delta on its 'illegal' trailer back from Rotterdam on his big tri axle flatbed trailer. Great bloke.
__________________
diver 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2022, 11:51   #16
Member
 
Wightdiver's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Fareham
Boat name: Red Dog
Make: Porters Renegade
Length: 6m +
Engine: 150 HP Yamaha
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 588
Quote:
Originally Posted by diver 1 View Post
I'd suggest Alan Edney boat transport. He's local to you and has done me an excellent service twice before even bringing my Delta on its 'illegal' trailer back from Rotterdam on his big tri axle flatbed trailer. Great bloke.
Diver 1 you are a star! Just spoken with Alan and he moving the boat on Thursday, thanks again.

Andy
__________________
Wightdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2022, 16:12   #17
Member
 
Peter_C's Avatar
 
Country: USA
Town: NorCal
Boat name: SHARKY
Make: AB
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF75
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 1,665
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wightdiver View Post
Diver 1 you are a star! Just spoken with Alan and he moving the boat on Thursday, thanks again.

Andy
The power of a forum at work

In reading one of the posts above saying cost could be around £50, that wouldn't come close to getting a return phone call in the USA. Tow bills run into the hundreds here for only a few miles.
__________________
Peter_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2022, 16:27   #18
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Abersoch
Boat name: vanishing point
Make: phantom, Ribtec
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200hp
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 402
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_C View Post
The power of a forum at work



In reading one of the posts above saying cost could be around £50, that wouldn't come close to getting a return phone call in the USA. Tow bills run into the hundreds here for only a few miles.
£50 is to hire a flat bed trailer to piggy back your boat onto to move location

https://www.cheshiretrailers.co.uk/car-trailer-hire/
__________________
whiskylee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2022, 01:23   #19
Member
 
Peter_C's Avatar
 
Country: USA
Town: NorCal
Boat name: SHARKY
Make: AB
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF75
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 1,665
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskylee View Post
£50 is to hire a flat bed trailer to piggy back your boat onto to move location

https://www.cheshiretrailers.co.uk/car-trailer-hire/
Language confusion on my part hire=rent

We rent trailers, and hire=pay other people to move them.

In the USA they also require a 3/4 ton or larger truck to rent car trailers or the like.
__________________

__________________
Peter_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




All times are GMT. The time now is 09:30.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.