Click Here to Login

Old 06 April 2007, 08:38   #1
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Boat storage - central scotland? options?

It looks like we have just purchased a new house (subject to the formalities). New house has no garage - but boat currently lives in my garage. So I am looking for suggestions where to store the boat? She is 4m long on a trailer that takes that total length to 4.5m ish. and 1.6m wide.

The boat is used predominantly on Loch Lomond as well as the Forth. In addition to a little time on the west coast (which I would like to increase) - although that is usaully a weekend or week at a time.

The cheapest option would be one of the "sailing/boating clubs" such as Dalgety Bay - but 1. i'm not 100% happy with the security at these (generally none!) and 2. most of the clubs on the forth are not exactly on the way to loch lomond for me.

Port edgar (including indoor storage) is an option but quite expensive.

I am trying to find out about costs for the boat yards at loch lomond.

The other obvious option would be to rent a garage (or find a space in a barn) but not sure how one goes about that - is there a www.garagestolet.co.uk type website ?

Or can anyone suggest another option?
Old 06 April 2007, 08:58   #2

Town: Newcastle upon Tyne
Boat name: Happy Hours
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: 300 Verado
MMSI: 235040122
I looked at a Marina on the Northern point of Loch Lomond last year and was impressed by its security and relative cheapness. It has a slip to launch and was run by a friendly bloke. Near to Oban and the west coast too but not great for the east side.

Ollie
Old 06 April 2007, 09:37   #3
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Originally Posted by qcamel View Post
I looked at a Marina on the Northern point of Loch Lomond last year and was impressed by its security and relative cheapness. It has a slip to launch and was run by a friendly bloke. Near to Oban and the west coast too but not great for the east side.

Ollie
Presumably Ardlui? Costs aren't ridiculous, and you are right I would probably be passing it (or not too out of way) for west coast trips. Normally launch at S of loch - but this would be a possibility as it is a bit further away from the glasgow NEDs/Chavs.
Old 06 April 2007, 12:08   #4

Town: Newcastle upon Tyne
Boat name: Happy Hours
Make: Scorpion
Engine: 300 Verado
MMSI: 235040122
Thats the one, with the pub/hotel next door.
Old 06 April 2007, 19:11   #5

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Neil, if you need somewhere to store it temporarily, there is space here but it's about an hour from Polmont.
Old 06 April 2007, 20:03   #6

Town: NE
Boat name: RedGazelle
Make: Gemini GRX420 SIB
Length: 4m +
Engine: Mariner 40 2s
Maybe there is a self store company offering ISO shipping containers in your area. Quite a few companies offer secure storage in shipping containers with 24hr access.

In this part of the world, the stores range from a farmer with a few containers in a field to secure, razor wired, cctv, access controlled sites. Top of the range sites seem to charge about £30/week for a 40ft ISO. In a container in a farmers field, expect to pay £30 a month.

Hope this helps

Ed
Old 06 April 2007, 20:31   #7

Town: Exmouth, Devon
Length: no boat
Silly question - is there room for a garage or shed at your new place?

If you can find someone who's willing give you space for it, a 20' container is only around £10/month from people like Ravenstock MSG (maybe a bit more since I last looked). You have to pay to have it dropped in (and you also pay up-front for removal, so they'll take it whenever you want), so the economics may not be sensible for you. Or just buy one secondhand?
Old 07 April 2007, 13:26   #8
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalker View Post
Neil, if you need somewhere to store it temporarily, there is space here but it's about an hour from Polmont.
Jeff, thanks - thats a great offer and if I haven't sorted anything out by 22nd on June (moving day) then I will be getting in touch so its one less thing to panic about at the last minute. New house is in Linlithgow so will be 5 minutes closer to you!
Old 07 April 2007, 13:27   #9
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeCC View Post
Silly question - is there room for a garage or shed at your new place?
not a silly q. at all. but no. essentially no garden with new place.
Old 07 April 2007, 13:32   #10
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed the Duck View Post
Maybe there is a self store company offering ISO shipping containers in your area. Quite a few companies offer secure storage in shipping containers with 24hr access.

In this part of the world, the stores range from a farmer with a few containers in a field to secure, razor wired, cctv, access controlled sites. Top of the range sites seem to charge about £30/week for a 40ft ISO. In a container in a farmers field, expect to pay £30 a month.

Hope this helps

Ed
Thats useful. Boat is only 14ft long-ish so a 40 ft container is probably overkill. For £30/week I can keep it afloat in the marina at Ardlui! Or probably undercover at Port Edgar marina. £30/month is more like my price point.

So any idea how one finds farmers who do this?
Old 09 April 2007, 11:38   #11

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: The Black Pearl
Make: BRIG F400S
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40HP E-TEC
Hi Neil,

For ref at PortE I pay around £90 for 6 months storage outside, there is security guards, CCTV etc. That includes use of the slipway. In the shed it's roughly double that.

If you find a farm that offers cheap barn space, let me know! Might consider it as well.

Cheers,
F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
Thats useful. Boat is only 14ft long-ish so a 40 ft container is probably overkill. For £30/week I can keep it afloat in the marina at Ardlui! Or probably undercover at Port Edgar marina. £30/month is more like my price point.

So any idea how one finds farmers who do this?
Old 26 May 2007, 21:22   #12
RIBnet admin team

Just to finish off this thread - the boat has a new home... ...not really in the central belt - but we took her up to Linnhe Marine (between Oban and Fort William) on Friday and had a good day today playing around in Loch Linnhe.

They are as cheap there as Port Edgar - but somewhat more scenic and IMHO a bit friendlier.

Anyone else looking for pure storage might want to consider Nicolson Storage (on the way to Aberfoyle) - who were roughly the same price.

Linnhe Marine is a bit of an experiment for us to see if we use the boat more or less when its a bit of a treck away - and part of my cunning plan towards getting a bigger boat - which would be based on the West Coast.