Old 13 January 2015, 08:53   #21

Town: Acharacle
Boat name: Iolar
Make: Redbay
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki DF175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
IMO boat shows (or any other show for that matter) ain't for buying, they're for looking; unless there's an absolute bargain to be had, which is rare these days. Go, look, touch, play, talk- come home & buy online or from your favourite local retailer.
Trudat
Old 13 January 2015, 10:34   #22

Boat name: Hysucat
Make: Hysucat
Length: 8m +
Engine: Twin Suzuki 175's
MMSI: 235102645
RIBase
OK, so its still pants then.

I wont bother going this year, but will do the Southampton one if I'm in the country.
Old 13 January 2015, 12:19   #23
RIBnet supporter

Town: Hants
Engine: 300hp plus
It is a shame to see people not going or being put off by others, the companies there work very hard and spend time and money on being there. I am not a fan of the location and have fed that back to BMF as a member. They have kept it going during economic downturn over quite a few years when we have seen the RIB show on South Coast disappear
Old 13 January 2015, 14:28   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by C2 RIBS View Post
It is a shame to see people not going or being put off by others, the companies there work very hard and spend time and money on being there. I am not a fan of the location and have fed that back to BMF as a member. They have kept it going during economic downturn over quite a few years when we have seen the RIB show on South Coast disappear
It is a shame, but at the same time it's a commercial venture. If they/you want people to come out of the show enthusing about it, then they/you need to give the punters something to enthuse about. Having said that if we, the punters, don't go and it folds then we can't really moan about it not being on next year. It's like the complaints about there not being any local dealers where you can play with electronics; there's no money in it because we all go and look at the kit in a physical store then buy online cos it's cheaper.

It's a tricky business this free market economics!
Old 13 January 2015, 16:02   #25

Town: Adelaide
Boat name: No Name
Make: Revenger
Length: 7m +
Engine: 2 x Mercury 90
Can anyone explain why London has a falling attendance? I was a regular attender at Earl's Court because when I was outside London it was always an "event" to travel to London for the day, and later when I was inside London it was easy to visit in the late afternoon after work. I have not been to the London show since it moved to Excel. I am now a regular user of London City Airport so could visit Excel with little effort, but all the adverse publicity has put me off. Is it because British boatbuilders have steadily disappeared? And those that did well in the boom became so arrogant (I suspect many of you were also unwelcome on the show boats of one particular builder) that the boat show became an unpleasant experience? Or simply that Excel is the wrong place? I made a trip to the Paris boat show about seven years ago and thoroughly enjoyed it. It reminded me of the good old days at Earl's Court!
Old 13 January 2015, 16:10   #26

Boat name: Hysucat
Make: Hysucat
Engine: Twin Suzuki 175's
MMSI: 235102645
RIBase
I think the organisers need to address the problems we all keep moaning about and I do have sympathy for the suppliers/exhibitors who are there.

I've done shows as an exhibitor, its bloody hard work. But if the organisers put on a good show it works for everyone.

The marketing seemed better this year. But from the feedback given so far the show does not seem any different to last year.

I went last year and the hall was not full, it felt empty and didn't have the hustle and bustle of a vibrant show. Cost of parking and entry and travel also put me off.

Compared to Southampton, it was small, uninspiring and costly.
Old 13 January 2015, 16:35   #27

Town: swanwick/hamble
Boat name: stormchaser
Make: custom rib
Engine: inboard/diesel
Not sure if it the same committee as southampton but when we took Macrib to southampton, they wanted to charge us top dollar for the pitch and they altered the size of it without telling us, as a result we had to dismantle the trailer to get it to fit, pretty shabby, if it's the same committee, what more can I say

Sent from my iPad using RIB Net
Old 13 January 2015, 16:46   #28

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Well, as a punter, just a few thoughts about the "show":-
A, imho, it isn't a "Show" it's a trade fair, a show would have entertainment, exhibitions, call it what you like, but these would be of a non-commercial nature that would justify the entrance fee. I object paying to spend money. The "Show" needs to decide what it, is & re-affirm its identity.
B, it should be in a decent venue, personally I don't have a problem with Excel, we use the DLR to get there & it's pretty hassle free.
C, If it is a trade show, then it needs traders, & I mean of a marine nature, not selling overpriced garden furniture & gazebos.
D, You ain't going to get the mainstream traders, t'internet has killed that. Why lug heavy purchases around all day when you can buy it cheaper online & have it delivered?
E, IMO the future lies not with traders but manufacturers, use the event to publicise new products, talk to the punters, demonstrate how good they are & point them to their dealers, this is where Southampton wins.
D, maybe the UK market just ain't big enough for both shows, exhibitors will decide where to spend their marketing budgets, & 2 shows is probably 1 too many.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2015, 17:46   #29

Town: Leicestershire
Boat name: Bathtub
Make: Humber Ocean Pro
Engine: Honda 150
I went to the show yesterday and I thought it was pretty good!

The guy I spoke to on the Garmin stand REALLY helped me and answered all my questions concerning NMEA2000. I learned more in 15 minutes than I had googling and trying to do my own research.

The Icom guy gave me great advice and saved me a few quid

The NASA guy and later the Digital yacht chap helped me with my questions concerning AIS connection to my Garmin chartplotter. They both agreed that a receiver was all I really needed as I could power my way out of a problem rather than a sailing boat that may need to transmit their position and also pointed out that regardless of little puny boats transmitting their position that tanker wasn't going to change course!

I got some good ideas about putting a Bimini on my rib by looking at the Wiliams rib

I had a good talk to Honda about my engine and what I could connect to it, where to buy from and what to avoid

I had a cool time looking at the Fairline 88 with its sumptuous interior and HUGE engines that you could eat your dinner off.

I'm going to do a seperate thread about Boatwarden's wifi security device and more importantly the one that works when your boats on your drive and tells you if its being moved either on your mobile or by an internal house alarm

Craig Cohoon Watersports chatted to me about how wakeboarding and showbording moves were similar and had complete packages for about 150 quid (boots, bindings and boards). Different ways and where to attach a harness

Boat Owner Magazine told me that I could sign up for free on line

RNLI gave me FREE crotch straps for my life jackets as not having/using them its a great cause of drowning while wearing a life vest.

I think to summarise if you want to go to the show to look at your rib manufactuer and get stuff cheaper that the Internet then don't. If you want to get loads of questions answered and get ideas then maybe you might just enjoy it.
Old 14 January 2015, 17:53   #30

Town: Leicestershire
Boat name: Bathtub
Make: Humber Ocean Pro
Engine: Honda 150
Oh

I also got great information about how I'm going to get from Caernarfon to carlingford loch then to strangford then to Derry including mooring fees
Old 14 January 2015, 19:30   #31
RMT

Town: UCKFIELD
Boat name: marmite
Make: Pascoe / Zapcat
Engine: mercury 250XS
I went to the show yesterday and found it really good and looked at loads of ribs the only negative comment I can make is I spent about a couple of hours looking round the main hall housing Princess, ribs and loads of flashy power boats and only noticed the other huge hall housing sailing boats and all the masses of small interesting stands with only another half hour before the show closed this is because they left a really narrow small gap on the edge of the Princess stand (which is massive ) to get to the other large hall. I am sure loads of visitors never noticed the other hall or maybe it was just me!
Old 14 January 2015, 21:47   #32
RIBnet supporter

Boat show ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMT View Post
I went to the show yesterday and found it really good and looked at loads of ribs the only negative comment I can make is I spent about a couple of hours looking round the main hall housing Princess, ribs and loads of flashy power boats and only noticed the other huge hall housing sailing boats and all the masses of small interesting stands with only another half hour before the show closed this is because they left a really narrow small gap on the edge of the Princess stand (which is massive ) to get to the other large hall. I am sure loads of visitors never noticed the other hall or maybe it was just me!

Agree the massive think Sunseekers covered the hall and I entered the other end to you and was looking for RIBs so knew there had to be another section, poor layout for the Middle section as you say almost suggested half a hall used
Will add image showing how hall looked like and end wall when in fact same area beyond
Old 14 January 2015, 21:51   #33
RIBnet supporter

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByRIB Net1421275877.851845.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	104.7 KB
ID:	102321
Here is the wall
Old 15 January 2015, 13:57   #34

Town: Exmouth, Devon
Length: no boat
Went on Tuesday but only because I got a bargain Flybe £30 return Exeter to City airport.

A lot of the equipment manufacturer stands seem to have shrunk. Navico (Lowrance/Simrad/B&G) and Standard Horizon don't have a stand at all.

As others have mentioned, lots of RIBs/powerboats and engines so worth a look in you're in that market.

The '4D Experience' at the back of the hall is possibly the most underwhelming feature ever (but mercifully brief). Not much else in the way of visitor entertainment.

No boats on the water although that may have been canned in previous years.

For a mid-week it wasn't embarrassingly quiet though.
Old 15 January 2015, 14:19   #35

Town: Bristol
Engine: Yamaha
I dont think they cater for the general boaty populous and the location is difficult if not time consuming compared to SBS
Old 15 January 2015, 15:25   #36

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeCC View Post
Navico (Lowrance/Simrad/B&G) and Standard Horizon don't have a stand at all.
Bugger!, that's half the reason I'm going, I wanted to see the HDS Gen3, according to Lowrance's website, they are exhibiting Grrr!

Ah well, there's always Borough Market & the Whisky shop in Vinopolis I might even have a look around HMS Belfast, as I've never visited her before.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2015, 18:13   #37

Town: Royal Wootton Bassett
Engine: 250
Still planning on going tomorrow with Ribraff and Daniel
Old 15 January 2015, 19:46   #38

Town: Manchester
Boat name: Nikki
Make: Avon
Length: 3m +
Engine: 15hp Outboard
I'm just waiting at Euston for my train back up to Manchester. Had a great day at the boat show, saw some lovely boats, nearly bought a Bayliner, wished I could afford a Sunseeker, picked up a new lifejacket and some mooring/bridle line. It took about 5 hours altogether to get around including the lunch (which was the only crap part of it)
All in all, it was a really good day!

Jack
Old 15 January 2015, 20:02   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeCC View Post
A lot of the equipment manufacturer stands seem to have shrunk. Navico (Lowrance/Simrad/B&G) and Standard Horizon don't have a stand at all.
poop

Was hoping to have a play with the plotter i've already decided on. Nevermind, it'll be a nice day out and we get to visit the sister in law.
Old 19 January 2015, 12:58   #40

Town: Featherstone
Boat name: N/A
Make: N/A
Length: no boat
Engine: N/A
Boat Show ?

For some forum members the SEAWORK show could be worth a visit.
Date :16-18th June
There will be a limited number of commercial RIB builders showing, along with electronics, shock-mitigating seating etc.
Ian

« Oars? | Top | Salcombe »