Old 28 June 2006, 18:23   #1

Town: dartmouth, devon
Boat name: no boat
Length: 5m +
boat share

i am considering sharing a boat with a friend,
this way i could have twice the boat for half the money.
also the fuel/maintenance costs would be halved.
any thoughts?
pros/cons
Old 28 June 2006, 18:47   #2
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
relatively common in the yacht world. The advice there seems to be to put it in writing and agree up front how you will split the costs etc (e.g. if you go out on your own and you ding the prop who pays to get it fixed? if you leave 1/2 a tank of fuel do you expect 1/2 a tank of fuel in return? etc) Also what about usage - how will you agree who uses it and when? What happens when one of you wants to leave (i.e. sell) - do you sell your share? - does the other party have the right to buy it first? how will you work out the value?

I think PBO and Sailing Today have both had articles about it - and the general conclusion is it is a good idea provided you plan it properly and agree everything in writing up front regardless of how good friends you are. This is as much about forcing you to discuss and agree the details as it is about having something to fall back on if it all goes wrong.
Old 28 June 2006, 19:02   #3

Town: Christchurch
Boat name: Sha-my-sha-my
Make: Valiant
Length: 4m +
A couple of my friends own a small RIB together. Has it's pros and cons of course. Helps if you both have the same attitude about maintenance etc.
Old 28 June 2006, 20:09   #4

Town: San Carlos, Mexico
Boat name: INDE
Make: LOMAC 730
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200 Merc.
MMSI: Please press 1
Send a message via Skype™ to Limey Linda
Do not think you can get twice the boat for half the money. One or the other and there are long term risks involved.
Old 28 June 2006, 21:09   #5

Town: darlington
Boat name: GlennVinny
Make: Leeway 6.3
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mariner135v6/4hp aux
MMSI: 235038455
Me and GL doing exactly this. It halves the costs of everything, and means you can have a better boat. But everything should be in a contract, even down to who gets the boat if one dies !
What you could consider is to set up an account at the bank each owner puts in a set amount of money in each month by D Debit, and then if something goes wrong with boat, you buy it out the fund and nobody`s scrattin around for dosh. It does work, as long as its thought out and written down.
Old 28 June 2006, 21:18   #6

Town: Reading, Hants
Boat name: Juicy
Make: Sealine F43
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x 370hp
MMSI: TBC
if you share with someone i would have thought you could get twice the boat for the same money or the same boat for half the money......does that make sense
Old 28 June 2006, 21:18   #7

Town: Southampton
Boat name: SMH Rib / War Shot
Make: Ribtec / Scorpion
Engine: 100hp Yam/150hp opt
RIBase
As said above

You both need to have the same outlook on what you want from the boat and to what standard it should be maintained.

Both pay into an account for the maintainance.

Kind of doing this with my brother - no contract but working well.

Regarding fuel - you have to own up to what you've used and always make sure there's enough in the tank for what the other partner might want to do when it's their turn.
Old 28 June 2006, 21:25   #8

Town: Torbay
Boat name: Loupy Lou
Make: Yamaha 480R
Engine: 50HP
I've been in a boat share for the past 18 months and have just left it. I was just bought out of the deal as the others wanted more useage. Make sure you can get access though when you need the boat to match your holidays! I work in the education sector and i was losing use of the boat as my weeks fell when I was in work etc.

Also consider equipment - how many lifejackets do you need? We all bought our own for the number of people we took with us etc.

With regards to fuel as we used plastic 25ltr cans we all bought our own cans and just took them with us - so you only ever used your own fuel (for long journeys used to borrow the others)

PM for anymore ideas etc
Old 28 June 2006, 21:29   #9
G L

Boat name: GlennVinny
Make: Leeway
Engine: Mariner 2.0 V6 135
MMSI: 235038455
Its a good idea. I've found you seem to go out on the boat with your mates, so you might as well let them pay for it as well.
Old 28 June 2006, 21:33   #10

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Engine: Honda BF50
I have known of two boats with shared owners and in both set ups those involved have said 'never again'. The whole concept rarely works unless all parties concerned are extraordinarily fair and sensible people. Classic gripes are 'Who scratched it?', 'Who left beer cans in it?',' I left it full of fuel, Why isn't it now?', ' How come you always get it when the sun shines?' and on and on. Good luck.
Old 28 June 2006, 21:46   #11
JCW

Town: Essex
Boat name: Inflatable
Make: Zodiac
Length: under 3m
Engine: Yamaha F6
Send a message via AIM to JCW
I am just coming out of a very successful and pleasurable Ribshare agreement with Bern Hanreck. We drafted an ownership agreement at the start of the partnership but we have never needed to use it.
If you are like minded people and agree to maintain the boat and be open and honest with each other it can be a success and cost saver.
The only reason I am pullng out is due to an imminent house move.
Bernie is looking for another parntner (advert in ribs for sale), if you are looking for a good boat and trustworthy partner, Bernie is your man.

JCW
JCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2006, 14:40   #12

Town: dartmouth, devon
Boat name: no boat
Length: 5m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Jardon
if you share with someone i would have thought you could get twice the boat for the same money or the same boat for half the money......does that make sense
yeah what ever, you know what i mean
Old 29 June 2006, 15:25   #13

Town: Newfoundland
Length: no boat
I had a boatshare arrangement for my first RIB. Three likeminded friends, equal shares on a new boat/used engine. (BWM DS21). It worked well and we never fell out. We had a master spreadsheet where we recorded maintenance/equipment expenses and every so often totted up who was ahead and who was behind in spending money and settled up. Running costs - fuel and two stroke primarily, were split between whoever was using the boat on the day.

Our arrangement was a little different insasmuch as my friends were less experienced boaters than I so effectively I ran the boat - arranged/carried out maintenance and servicing and they paid their share of the bills. I often ended up physically doing much of the work but I also used the boat far more than either of them. (I dont think they ever took the boat out without me!) so I effectively got most useage of a boat but only a third of the purchase/running costs (excl. fuel). Marriage/children/not being able to dive anymore meant that neither of them was able to use the boat as much as they envisiaged at the outset.

We sold up after 3-4 years and split the funds equally. No fallouts and still all great friends. I would recommend a statement of principles/agreement, particularly on cost sharing and who does what, but would have no hesitation on doing it again with the right people.

In fact I think at one time I tried to persuade JCW to buy a half share in Blue Ice but the size of the tow vehicle required was an issue. For anyone looking for a half share in a very tidy RIB in the Essex area I would suggest they talk to Bern about La Bamba. He's a thoroughly decent chap!
Old 16 February 2007, 13:06   #14

Town: Lymington
Boat name: Myles Aweigh
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: Inboard Diesal
MMSI: 235018948
Any sample agreements

Hi

We are thinking of offering a half share for sale tas we don't use it enough which is a waste of such a lovely boat Does anyone have a sample agreement that I could use as a basis, or know where I might get one?

Cheers

Rosie
Old 16 February 2007, 13:32   #15

Town: Woldingham
Boat name: Black Gold
Engine: Mercury 300 XS
Boat Share

In my experience it can work very well. I share a Scorpion and having done an agreement where we had thought a lot about use we have found that on many occaisions we use the boat together.
I agree that you need to have a similar perpective on the level of spend as things always seem to cost a bit more than you'd expect. For example we spent as much fitting a new Lowrance GPS as it cost to buy.
As far as fuel goes, we always leave it full which takes judgement out of the equation although on a future boat I'd like twin tanks so that we don't always run so heavy.
I'd recommend it and given that most of us use a Rib for 75/100 hours max that leaves a lot of hours unused.
Old 16 February 2007, 19:03   #16

Town: Newport IoW
Boat name: Amean/Pronto/Rumbo
Make: Solent Rib Princess
Engine: 200hp Etec 260x 2
MMSI: lots of them
What about lynx sports club www.lynxsports.co.uk where you join for x amount per year and get the use of a Scorpion .
Seems that this is another option for some
Old 16 February 2007, 19:38   #17

Town: Hampshire
Boat name: Everlong
Make: Botnia Targa 27
Engine: Volvo KAD44
or charter a rib when you want one...the Lynx option at £411 up to £587 per day seems expensive, even if the RIBs are decent...
Old 16 February 2007, 19:48   #18

Town: West Sussex
Make: zodiac
Engine: suzuki 115
Nice kit I must agree, but 7K for 20 days its a lot of money .
Old 19 February 2007, 08:45   #19

Boat name: Emperor
Engine: Evinrude E-tec 200hp
Send a message via MSN to Millermob
That equates to £350 for a days charter, not bad considering others charge £500+.

Freddie
Old 19 February 2007, 10:17   #20

Town: Portsmouth
Make: Tornado
Engine: Yamaha HPDI 200
Send a message via MSN to thorper
I co-own my boat with Andy, and split the costs 50/50. We put everything in a contract (including what happens if one of us dies!), which states what happens if we disagree or want to buy each other out.

As other people have said, you need to have the same motivation to make it work and be honest with each other. I rarely use the boat without Andy, so splitting the fuel is easy.

I suspect if you do own it with more than 1 other person you can then get into the debates about who damaged it etc., but if there is just 2 of you thats quite straightforward!

Finally its worth making sure that you're both able to financially commit to the boat for a number of years, and both regularly put money in a shared bank account for the boat. It makes paying for parts and servicing much easier!
thorper is offline   Reply With Quote