Boat name: GlennVinny
Make: Leeway 6.3
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mariner135v6/4hp aux
MMSI: 235038455
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Warners View Post
Hi

We are thinking of offering a half share for sale tas we don't use it enough which is a waste of such a lovely boat Does anyone have a sample agreement that I could use as a basis, or know where I might get one?

Cheers

Rosie
Hi Rosie, this is a good draft, I know it costs, but it does a lot of the thinking for you! cheers
http://www.sailonline.com/boat_buyer..._contract.html
Old 19 February 2007, 14:30   #22

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Aquaholic
Make: Ribeye
Length: 7m +
Engine: 250 V8
Send a message via Skype™ to benc
I was in a boatshare with Intrepid until a little while ago. The problem we had was that I wanted to use the boat more than the partner.. therefore I was clocking up the hours, and when the time came to service it, I ended up paying the service, because he'd put 10 hours on to my 100 hours (or something like that)... Also, when there was work to be done on it, I tended to end up paying for the work to be done, as I used it most...

The boat was quite expensive to run when I only had access to it 50% of the time, the rest of the time, it would just sit in the marina, rarely being used by the other partner... and when I asked if I could use it on the lovely summer days ... it was normally "I might use it later..."

I am now in another boat share - but its a much smaller boat, and a lot more manageable... and we are normally both be out with it at the same time, so doesnt cause any issues. Its a small engine, so parts are reasonably cheap (compared to intrepid!), and most of the maintenance we can do ourselves, and the best bit... is that it is small enough to live in my garage so we don't have to pay expensive mooring charges

So to summarise, I think boat sharing can work, but it depends on the people, and also about the amount of money the boat costs to "run/maintain"
Old 10 November 2007, 13:56   #23
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
I have rekindled this thread as it might simultaneosly address two issues for me: (1) I don't manage to get out on the boat as much as I would like due to other commitments - which seems like a waste (2) I can't afford the boat a I really want...

For those who have had boat shares - how did you find the partner(s). Did you already know them, or advertise? Who specced the boat, storage location etc? - did one person do that then find the partners or was it achieved by mutual concensus at the start?

If people have advertised - how easy has it been to fill places (either at the start or when someone wants to leave)?

Did you buy new or second hand - and does it matter?

Does anyone have any experience using services like yachtfractions?

Most people who responded to this 2006 thread seem to suggest that they are sharing a boat 50/50 between two parties. From what I gather from the yachting community they seem to quite commonly share in 1/4's or 1/5's. Obviously more parties creates a few more headaches - but realistically I will use the boat for 5 or 6 weekends and 1 or 2 weeks at best... Is there any reason this should work better for yachts than ribs?

Thanks in advance...

PS. Anyone who wants to talk about the possibility of a share on the west coast of scotland (perhaps a redbay/diesel/cannopy/6.5+m?) please feel free to respond or PM me...