Old 23 February 2015, 21:46   #1

Town: Acharacle
Boat name: Iolar
Make: Redbay
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki DF175
Boat Launch Antrim

So we're off to pick up the new boat on the weekend of April 10th/11th/12th. Planning on picking her up on the Friday then sticking around on the Saturday for a launch and to put some hours on the engine. Obviously we can launch at Cushendall weather permitting, but as far as I remember the slip is a little exposed in a NE'ly. I was wondering about alternative launches and it looks like Glenarm and Carnlough are possibililties with a little more shelter. It also appears that there aren't any restrictions on their use?

Is there anywhere round the area that does a tractor launch?
Old 23 February 2015, 22:04   #2
RIBnet supporter

Town: Belfast
Boat name: Cait
Make: Humber
Length: 5m +
Engine: 90hp Opti
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clamchowder View Post
So we're off to pick up the new boat on the weekend of April 10th/11th/12th. Planning on picking her up on the Friday then sticking around on the Saturday for a launch and to put some hours on the engine. Obviously we can launch at Cushendall weather permitting, but as far as I remember the slip is a little exposed in a NE'ly. I was wondering about alternative launches and it looks like Glenarm and Carnlough are possibililties with a little more shelter. It also appears that there aren't any restrictions on their use?

Is there anywhere round the area that does a tractor launch?
You would be best sticking to Cushendall. Yes it does get a bit of a blow from NE but then the prevailing is S / SW so the possibility of NE is getting slimmer by April.
Same conditions prevail just out of the harbour in Glenarm and I would not launch in Carnlough.

Tractor launch? - Cushendall!! Tom was launching and recovering last Saturday when I was there.

Now if you need 10 hours on her before you take her away I'd gladly offer my services as a test monkey (or if you need crew or a Mitzy to launch) - I'll have a look out for her this Saturday when I'm up.
Old 23 February 2015, 22:48   #3

Town: Acharacle
Boat name: Iolar
Make: Redbay
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki DF175
When we were there having a demo in Oct it was blowing straight up the slip and it took yer man a couple of goes to get it on the trailer, and I can just see me doing the gel coat first time out!
It's a nice tidy slip though and around high water I think we'll be ok with the Exeo. I was just thinking there might be somewhere with a little shelter. Google street view looks like Carnlough slip is nicely tucked in behind a breakwater?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonymac View Post
Now if you need 10 hours on her before you take her away I'd gladly offer my services as a test monkey
This is pretty much what I had in mind (apart from the test monkey bit ) Need to get the first service done before we go to Lough Derg at the end of May. If you're around it would be great to get the benefit of some local knowledge. We were thinking of heading round towards the causeway and see how we get on? Check out Rathin on the way.
Old 24 February 2015, 12:16   #4
RIBnet supporter

Town: Belfast
Boat name: Cait
Make: Humber
Length: 5m +
Engine: 90hp Opti
RIBase
Quote:
When we were there having a demo in Oct it was blowing straight up the slip and it took yer man a couple of goes to get it on the trailer, and I can just see me doing the gel coat first time out!
It's a nice tidy slip though and around high water I think we'll be ok with the Exeo. I was just thinking there might be somewhere with a little shelter. Google street view looks like Carnlough slip is nicely tucked in behind a breakwater?
Carnlough is a busy, awkward little place. The harbour is alongside the main street - and main coast road north - and so it becomes fussy to get into the slip. Once you pull up to get access you are blocking the main road. I just don't bother. I must say its my preference only - perhaps some others launch there?

Glenarm is a handy enough slip. Usually the gate is open and if not the Harbour master is in a building nearby. Very friendly, just lock up after you. Slip is steep though, but there is shelter behind the harbour wall.

Quote:
This is pretty much what I had in mind (apart from the test monkey bit ) Need to get the first service done before we go to Lough Derg at the end of May. If you're around it would be great to get the benefit of some local knowledge. We were thinking of heading round towards the causeway and see how we get on? Check out Rathin on the way.
The Causeway and Rathlin are all doable. Just watch the tides and races.
I'm not too sure yet whether I will be about or whether I'll be over on the West coast in Donegal that weekend. I'll be in touch about it closer to the date. (Her indoors may have plans for Easter week )