Old 04 March 2005, 16:16   #1

Town: Bury
Boat name: honwave
Make: honda
Length: 3m +
Engine: outboard/petrol/15hp
boat info

thinking of purchasing a zodiac medline 1 4.8 metre 70hp has anybody any experiences with them rough weather handling etc
Old 04 March 2005, 17:17   #2

Town: Surrey
Boat name: ocean pro 6.3
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
Engine: 140hp suzuki
hello there

as far as i know the medline 1 rib is very leisure orientated, and shallow vee hull, so although you will be fine in a small chop, anything rough will be very uncomfortable, however the boat will handle exceptionally in light chop and calm conditions, and with 70hp behind will fly. most of the reson why its not sui9ted to rough weather is the length, and also there is not much seating actually inside the boat, you have a bench, but then there are the suicide seats in front of console,not ideal in choppy conditions. is it a second hand rib or new? if its new then i would consider others in that price bracket, possibly a small humer, valiant, or one of the other new comopanies around. medline is mediterranian style with comfort in mind rather than rough water capability. hope this helps
Old 04 March 2005, 17:43   #3

thanks for info it was a new boat but will look for alternatives a know about 5metre will just fit in garage on a trailer so i guess i am looking for a deep v hull then any webs sites you can recommend to look at. I have a zodiac and like it , what do you recommend in their range again thanks for your time mark
Old 04 March 2005, 19:01   #4
RIBnet supporter

Town: Lymington Hampshire
Boat name: Hot Lemon
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: Yanmar diesel
MMSI: 235
Humber

Go for a HUMBER they have a terrible website but good boats !
Old 04 March 2005, 20:21   #5

Town: Swinton Manchester
Length: 5m +
Send a message via AIM to Graham H
Hi Tide mark
Come & have a look at mine if you like im only 15 mins from you , pm me if you want & i will send you my address.
Graham
Old 04 March 2005, 20:22   #6

Town: Newfoundland
Length: no boat
Best sub 5m RIB for rough water is Ribcraft 4.8m IMHO.
Old 04 March 2005, 20:26   #7

Town: london
Boat name: Frances May
Make: vailant DR450
Length: 4m +
Engine: mercury 50 hp
Send a message via Yahoo to Daniel TD5
have a look at valiant the dr range are very good medium deep v
you can have fun very fast with small engines

vanguard 4.5m 40 hp mariner 30 knots
dr 4.5m 50 hp mercury 34 knots

tube can,t complain about the build

dan
Old 04 March 2005, 20:39   #8

Town: Newport
Make: Avon Rover 3.4
Engine: Merc 15hp F/S
if you want some pics or info on a 5m humber assault let me know,I bought one just over a year ago and have been very happy with it.
Old 05 March 2005, 00:16   #9

Town: Surrey
Boat name: ocean pro 6.3
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
Engine: 140hp suzuki
hello again mark

i would say that to go for a humber boat around the 5 mtr mark would be a wise move, evry capable craft, although not as aesthetically pleasing as say a zodiac, they have a better hull. a valiant is also a good option, the 4.9mtr is a cracking boat, but steer clear of the vanguards, they are not meant for our waters! you could look at www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk for ideas, or just use it to find ut various manufacturers of which it has a list on the site, which you can use to make a short list!
just in case you do end up looking for a zodiac i do have a zodiac pro 9 man for sale in as new condition, and its good in moderate chop, but in serious stuff it need longer hull length! i am loking for a larger rib around the 6mtr mark! it depends what you plan on using the baot for, because if general cruising, fishing, fuel efficiency, etc is in mind then a zodiac pro 9 for example would be fine, but if you want a more ruggedboat, the humber or a valiant4.9mtr would be better which although will have higher horsepower, and less efficient, will have advantages in the rough stuff, etc. let me know what you choose, or pm me if you need any mroe help! jonathan
Old 05 March 2005, 19:09   #10

took down the details chaps and now going for a good trawl on the web site for the boats you mentioned ta
Old 06 March 2005, 21:01   #11

Town: Wilmslow
Boat name: Serotonin
Make: Quicksilver
Engine: Mariner 15
Hi Tidemark I have a Medline 1 which on the whole I am pleased with it, it does everything that we want it to however it is a poor ride in the rough stuff we bounce when everyone else is cutting through the swell and waves this is made even worse by the poor bench seating. When seated the console is too high to drive safely when standing the console is too close to the bench making it fell as though you are being forced backwards i would much prefer a jockey seat arrangement. That said it does have blue and white upholstery not available on a Humber!! It suits us fine for pottering around the coast, waterskiiing doughnutting taking refuge from the sizzling sun underneath the Bimini top whilst sipping Champers from the picnic table, afterall it was designed for the Med!!!!!!!