Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 31 March 2019, 18:48   #1
Member
 
Country: New Zealand
Town: Auckland
Make: Gemini Waverider 550
Length: 5m +
Engine: Johnson 90hp
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 101
Boat Cleaning

I spent some time cleaning the tubes (pale grey hypalon) on our Gemini WR550 yesterday. I first used a mould cleaner (chlorine free) and then used Aurora inflatable boat cleaner and a '000' grade pad (Norton Synthetic Steel Wool).

There are still some marks, which in some places do go some more if I rub harder, however can I use a coarser pad?

I'm heading back to the UK next week, so there will be more choice of cleaner for me there. I was thinking about getting the RibShops Rib Cleaner and Rib Revive. Any thoughts?

Thanks
__________________

__________________
RichardinNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2019, 19:47   #2
Member
 
Tim M's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Make: Avon Searider SR4
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yamaha 50
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 5,785
I use either these:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-HIGH-...TNqBqlN6R6_1-w

Or these:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Magic-Spo...f2b6d4010b1e9c

Available in just about every supermarket world wide!

Ribshop do a kit which comes with everything you need including the cleaning pad so that might be worth a shot.
__________________

__________________
Tim M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 April 2019, 02:12   #3
Member
 
boristhebold's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Length: 7m +
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,606
What ive found that works best for me is hot soap and water plus fairy liquid power spray and use a green slightly abrasive cleaning pad, then wash off/rinse off and finish with the Rib conditioning gel from ribshop.

The fairy liquid power spray and hot water ive found works great for getting salt off the grp parts of a rib, fairy liquid power spray is one of those great finds, as its cheap and effective.
__________________
boristhebold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 April 2019, 02:13   #4
Member
 
Simonh66's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Southampton
Boat name: Gecko
Make: Valiant
Length: 5m +
Engine: 115 Optimax
MMSI: 235060442
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 134
RIBase
I’ve just used Ribshops, it’s not that good. I’ll be trying August Race kit next time
__________________
Simonh66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 April 2019, 02:16   #5
Member
 
Country: New Zealand
Town: Auckland
Make: Gemini Waverider 550
Length: 5m +
Engine: Johnson 90hp
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simonh66 View Post
Iíve just used Ribshops, itís not that good. Iíll be trying August Race kit next time
Was that their cleaner you have used, not the conditioning gel?
__________________
RichardinNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 April 2019, 02:18   #6
Member
 
Country: New Zealand
Town: Auckland
Make: Gemini Waverider 550
Length: 5m +
Engine: Johnson 90hp
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 101
Does anyone know, are the green pads graded as to coarseness (ie equivalent to wire wool).

The Norton ones here are, and as mentioned I've used the 000 grade ones. I did have one green pad (bizarrely labelled as being marketed by Bosch) and it seemed similar to the 000 ones in texture.

Thanks
__________________
RichardinNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 April 2019, 02:50   #7
Member
 
Country: New Zealand
Town: Auckland
Make: Gemini Waverider 550
Length: 5m +
Engine: Johnson 90hp
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by boristhebold View Post
What ive found that works best for me is hot soap and water plus fairy liquid power spray and use a green slightly abrasive cleaning pad, then wash off/rinse off and finish with the Rib conditioning gel from ribshop.

The fairy liquid power spray and hot water ive found works great for getting salt off the grp parts of a rib, fairy liquid power spray is one of those great finds, as its cheap and effective.
I'll see whether we have the power spray here! Hot water is a good idea.
Thanks
__________________
RichardinNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 April 2019, 02:51   #8
Member
 
Country: New Zealand
Town: Auckland
Make: Gemini Waverider 550
Length: 5m +
Engine: Johnson 90hp
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim M View Post
I use either these:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-HIGH-...TNqBqlN6R6_1-w

Or these:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Magic-Spo...f2b6d4010b1e9c

Available in just about every supermarket world wide!

Ribshop do a kit which comes with everything you need including the cleaning pad so that might be worth a shot.
I've half a magic sponge somewhere; I'll try it. Thanks
__________________
RichardinNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 April 2019, 10:56   #9
Member
 
Wightdiver's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Fareham
Boat name: Red Dog
Make: Porters Renegade
Length: 6m +
Engine: 150 HP Yamaha
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 536
Spent last Saturday giving Red Dog her annual clean up using Fairy Power Spray. It always does a good job but I have noticed that over the last few year the number of black mould spots are increasing, tried every mould removing product out there but nothing touches them.

I saw a posting on Facebook this week about a product called Shmuffex, so I bought a bottle from Rib Shop, WOW, every spot on the tubes are gone, easy to use and fantastic results. The only problem I had was that the areas with the mould spots that I cleaned came up far cleaner than the rest of the boat so I had to clean the whole thing.

Next year I will just clean the whole boat with this and not start with FPS.

Top tip, if you are going to google the product make sure you do not make a spelling mistake, I dread to think what might come up!!!!
__________________
Wightdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 April 2019, 14:17   #10
RIBnet Supporter
 
willk's Avatar
 
Country: Ireland
Make: Redbay Boats
Length: 9m +
Engine: 370hp
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 13,849
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardinNZ View Post
Does anyone know, are the green pads graded as to coarseness (ie equivalent to wire wool).
They absolutely are:

"3M Scotch Brite Nylon Pads:
7445 - White pad, called Light Duty Cleansing - (1000) 1200-1500 grit
7448 - Light Grey, called Ultra Fine Hand - (600-800) 800 grit.
6448 - Green (?), called Light Duty Hand Pad - (600) 600 grit
7447 - Maroon pad, called General Purpose Hand - (320-400) 320 grit
6444 - Brown pad, called Extra Duty Hand - (280-320) 240 grit
7446 - Dark Grey pad, called Blending Pad (180-220) 150 grit
7440 - Tan pad, called Heavy Duty Hand Pad - (120-150) 60(?)
Green Scotch Brite is available EVERYWHERE. It's 600 grit.
Blue Scotch-Brite is considered to be about 1000 grit.
(The value inside the parentheses is directly from 3M.)"
__________________
.
willk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 April 2019, 14:23   #11
Member
 
Country: New Zealand
Town: Auckland
Make: Gemini Waverider 550
Length: 5m +
Engine: Johnson 90hp
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
They absolutely are:

"3M Scotch Brite Nylon Pads:
7445 - White pad, called Light Duty Cleansing - (1000) 1200-1500 grit
7448 - Light Grey, called Ultra Fine Hand - (600-800) 800 grit.
6448 - Green (?), called Light Duty Hand Pad - (600) 600 grit
7447 - Maroon pad, called General Purpose Hand - (320-400) 320 grit
6444 - Brown pad, called Extra Duty Hand - (280-320) 240 grit
7446 - Dark Grey pad, called Blending Pad (180-220) 150 grit
7440 - Tan pad, called Heavy Duty Hand Pad - (120-150) 60(?)
Green Scotch Brite is available EVERYWHERE. It's 600 grit.
Blue Scotch-Brite is considered to be about 1000 grit.
(The value inside the parentheses is directly from 3M.)"
Many thanks...looking at that I can go up a grade!
__________________
RichardinNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 April 2019, 14:27   #12
RIBnet Supporter
 
willk's Avatar
 
Country: Ireland
Make: Redbay Boats
Length: 9m +
Engine: 370hp
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 13,849
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardinNZ View Post
I was thinking about getting the RibShops Rib Cleaner and Rib Revive. Any thoughts?

Thanks
I've used RIB Revive. It's OK - that said, this year I bought a 20L drum of the meanest nastiest TFR I could find (£25) and applied it warm at 50/50, using a green scotch pad. It was VERY effective. You'll need a "uv treatment with optical brightener" to finish the job. Beware of TFR and Finishes with silicone in - hypalon and silicone aren't a great mix.

Green pads are quite abrasive when new - be cautious about applying them vigorously to dark sheen fabrics - they have caused issues with black tubes etc. After a short time in use they become much less aggressive. I use new pads on the underside of tubes in heavily fouled areas and on heavily oxidised patches on top (but rubbing gently).
__________________
.
willk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 April 2019, 01:29   #13
Member
 
DanExe's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Starcross
Make: Lomac & Suzumar
Length: 5m +
Engine: Honda 90 & Tohatsu
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 51
Shmuffex works wonders, but is rather expensive.

The active ingredient is sodium hypochlorite, as you probably already know. I make my own diluted solution from buying it concentrated at Mole Valley, under the brand name Deosan. Much better value at £11.16 for 20l.

http://m.molevalleyfarmers.com/h5/r/...-hypochlorite?

It is essential that suitable ppe is worn! Nasty stuff - especially if inhaled, ingested or splashed on your skin.
__________________
DanExe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02 April 2019, 01:58   #14
Member
 
Country: New Zealand
Town: Auckland
Make: Gemini Waverider 550
Length: 5m +
Engine: Johnson 90hp
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 101
Guess one of our farm shops here would have that...
__________________
RichardinNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 April 2019, 02:07   #15
Member
 
DanExe's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Starcross
Make: Lomac & Suzumar
Length: 5m +
Engine: Honda 90 & Tohatsu
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 51
They are sure to sell it there in NZ, or possibly on ebay or Amazon, if not. Itís used extensively over here by farmers and is also known as ďdairy washĒ.
__________________
DanExe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02 April 2019, 02:26   #16
Member
 
Simonh66's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Southampton
Boat name: Gecko
Make: Valiant
Length: 5m +
Engine: 115 Optimax
MMSI: 235060442
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 134
RIBase
[QUOTE=RichardinNZ;792627]Was that their cleaner you have used, not the conditioning gel?[/QUOT

I used both
__________________
Simonh66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 April 2019, 02:27   #17
Member
 
Country: New Zealand
Town: Auckland
Make: Gemini Waverider 550
Length: 5m +
Engine: Johnson 90hp
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 101
Thanks Simon.

Looks like I know what mould remover to use now... Just what conditioner...
__________________
RichardinNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 April 2019, 02:31   #18
Member
 
Simonh66's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Southampton
Boat name: Gecko
Make: Valiant
Length: 5m +
Engine: 115 Optimax
MMSI: 235060442
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 134
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardinNZ View Post
Thanks Simon.

Looks like I know what mould remover to use now... Just what conditioner...
The conditioner seems ok, but donít know long term yet. Only used it last week. Boat now on dry stack so Iíll see how it looks at the end of the season
__________________
Simonh66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 April 2019, 02:44   #19
Member
 
DanExe's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Starcross
Make: Lomac & Suzumar
Length: 5m +
Engine: Honda 90 & Tohatsu
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 51
As a final touch, I can totally recommend 303 Aerospace UV protectant.

Available in NZ: https://www.repco.co.nz/en/brands/30...6ml/p/A1282296

Not really a conditioner, but provides a lovely finish and lasting protection. Lots of info and reviews on here and the web. Check it out.
__________________
DanExe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02 April 2019, 05:30   #20
Member
 
Wightdiver's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Fareham
Boat name: Red Dog
Make: Porters Renegade
Length: 6m +
Engine: 150 HP Yamaha
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 536
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanExe View Post
Shmuffex works wonders, but is rather expensive.

The active ingredient is sodium hypochlorite, as you probably already know. I make my own diluted solution from buying it concentrated at Mole Valley, under the brand name Deosan. Much better value at £11.16 for 20l.

Deosan Red Label Hypochlorite

It is essential that suitable ppe is worn! Nasty stuff - especially if inhaled, ingested or splashed on your skin.
How much do you dilute it by?
__________________

__________________
Wightdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:13.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.