Click Here to Login

Old 04 July 2021, 18:30   #1

Town: Dartmoor
Boat name: Spirit of Adventure
Make: Brig
Length: 5m +
Engine: 50Hp Suzuki
Boarding a rib from shallow water

My wife and I are in our early 60s. Healthy but not physically strong. We would like to take our rib to join the family on the beach, mooring in shallow water to join them and take the grandchildren out for a ride and on a donut.

We have a MOB drop down ladder. And in an emergency, could use the OB and A-frame to scramble over the transom. But its not very dignified for my wife. Especially in front of everyone on the beach.

If there was something I could rig up to help her, the family could take it with them and help out. I can bring the rib into knee depth water for her. I've been thinking of altering a small pair of aluminium steps to form a ladder with straps to clip the top to the rib, whilst a couple of us hold the boat from wandering too far. If the steps were connected even if the rib drifted a little the steps should remain relatively stable.

What do you think? Does this sound plausible? Any other ideas please?
Old 04 July 2021, 20:02   #2

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
>>> its not very dignified for my wife

Mrs F has knee joint issues and a beach stop even from a SIB needs thought. She far prefers a pontoon... with a G&T at the top.
Old 05 July 2021, 09:07   #3

Town: Poole
Boat name: ORCA III
Make: XS500
Length: 4m +
Engine: Mercury 60hp
We bought a narrow folding ladder from Force 4,which fixes to transom.
new rib has one of those little fold down steps on transom which works. we are 70+
Old 05 July 2021, 09:20   #4

Town: Cheltenham
Make: Marex
Length: 9m +
RIBase
I carry an Avon 7 dinghy and a 2.5Hp 2 stroke just for the purpose! The whole thing takes up very little space and weighs less than 30kgs, its quick to put together and take down.
Old 05 July 2021, 09:33   #5

Town: Southsea
Boat name: Voodoo
Make: Ribtec
Length: 7m +
Engine: Mercruiser 350 Mag
RIBase
You said you can bring the rib in to knee depth, I would suggest she sits on the tube at its lowest point and then swivel her legs over and in. A transom ladder is good but can be difficult to negotiate at times. Failing that carry a plastic step she can stand on to ease the boarding.
Old 05 July 2021, 10:50   #6

Town: Principalite d'Chaos
Boat name: The Nashers Revenge!
Make: Windsor Brothers
Length: 6m +
Engine: Optimax 225
MMSI: "Mmmmm SI" she said!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoo View Post
You said you can bring the rib in to knee depth, I would suggest she sits on the tube at its lowest point and then swivel her legs over and in.
Can you not walk the RIB in a little closer than Knee depth so she can swing her legs over the tube and straight onto the bottom?

Far easier to board that way as well just reverse up to the tube and sit down.

There really isn't a reason to avoid nudging the bow up on the beach Unless it's rocky.

Nasher.
Old 06 July 2021, 07:29   #7

Town: Beckenham
Boat name: No Name
Make: Highfield
Length: 3m +
Engine: Outboard Suzuki 30HP

Her is a video I posted on You Tube about getting into a RIB.
I'm 74 and can do it easily even with diving gear on.
Hope it helps.
Old 06 July 2021, 08:53   #8

Town: Abersoch
Boat name: vanishing point
Make: phantom, Ribtec
Engine: 200hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty Pete View Post

Hope it helps.
Excellent salty Pete, like your idea
Old 06 July 2021, 09:26   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickter View Post
We bought a narrow folding ladder from Force 4,which fixes to transom.
new rib has one of those little fold down steps on transom which works. we are 70+
I wanted one of these. IMHO they are the best solution. But I don't have the room. I've looked at the really narrow ones. Measured the transom over and over!

I've had an idea. We will only be doing this on family days out. Probably meeting them at the beach, so there will be people to help. If I get a small pair of aluminium steps, just the step side, fix a small plate to the feet of the legs to stop them sinking in the sand and figure out a way of temporarily attaching them to the boat at the top. Possibly a webbing strap to the bottom of the A frame or a cleat. With the steps rested on the tube. Then if there are 2 people to hold the boat, people can get in and out without a struggle. If the boat wanders a bit, it won't matter too much. I can use a bit of neoprene to protect the tubes if needs be. It is a bit of a faff. But we would be using them quite a bit if it works, so probably worth the effort.
Old 06 July 2021, 09:34   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasher View Post
Can you not walk the RIB in a little closer than Knee depth so she can swing her legs over the tube and straight onto the bottom?

Far easier to board that way as well just reverse up to the tube and sit down.

There really isn't a reason to avoid nudging the bow up on the beach Unless it's rocky.

Nasher.
Its very soft sand where we go. So I could beach her gently. Its just the missus. I'm sure she would manage it but it would be a real trial for her and would probably put her off doing it. Upper body strength. And she's not the tallest! If she had something to stand on, it would help. I've replied to another suggestion with an idea I have to get peoples thoughts. See what you think?
Old 06 July 2021, 09:37   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliee View Post
I carry an Avon 7 dinghy and a 2.5Hp 2 stroke just for the purpose! The whole thing takes up very little space and weighs less than 30kgs, its quick to put together and take down.
Its one of the possible solutions I'm thinking about thank you. Its a good idea. I suppose its just like getting from a tender into a boat. As long as they're secured together I guess. It would also be useful for those coves you can't get right into.
Old 06 July 2021, 09:40   #12

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:

Hope it helps.

Nice one[emoji106]
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 July 2021, 09:47   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uh Oh View Post
I wanted one of these. IMHO they are the best solution. But I don't have the room. I've looked at the really narrow ones. Measured the transom over and over!
The ladder only needs to be the width of a foot in a boot, and most are easy enough to narrow.

I have very little room on the transom of my RIB because I may have put too big an engine on it

So I purchased a used ladder, drilled the rivets out where I could, cut the steps down, cut and welded the bits that were not riveted, and riveted it back together.
It's proved really useful over the years.

But I don't think it's the solution to Uh Ohs issue here, as it still takes some effort and flexibility to use.

Nasher
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	transom.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	152.9 KB
ID:	137985  
Old 06 July 2021, 09:49   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoo View Post
You said you can bring the rib in to knee depth, I would suggest she sits on the tube at its lowest point and then swivel her legs over and in. A transom ladder is good but can be difficult to negotiate at times. Failing that carry a plastic step she can stand on to ease the boarding.
This is pretty much what I was thinking. What I'm not sure about, (I really hope this is not a stupid question) I guess I'll have to try it out to see, is how high the top of the tubes will be above the beach? As to whether she can actually sit on them It? It will only be the bow end if the hull on the beach. So she will have to wade in a bit to get to the lowest part. They're 500mm tubes. Failing that, some sort of step. See my reply to another suggestion regarding the possibility of using aluminium steps? Or maybe just one of those caravan steps perhaps? With a base to stop them sinking in the sand?
Old 06 July 2021, 10:02   #15

The boat doesn't have to be upright with the Bow nudged up on the beach, it will naturally flop over to the side where she's sat on the tube, so will be very low.

The issue with using a step, apart from it floating away, is that you end up stood upright at the height of the tubes and would then need to step down into the boat, which at 500mm could be quite a step.
Old 06 July 2021, 10:07   #16

Quote:

Hope it helps.
Excellent idea. Its going to be my MOB solution. Im going to search for plastic stirrups on ebay. You made it look so easy which is very reassuring to me. Thank you.
Old 06 July 2021, 10:09   #17

Quote:
The ladder only needs to be the width of a foot in a boot, and most are easy enough to narrow.

I have very little room on the transom of my RIB because I may have put too big an engine on it

So I purchased a used ladder, drilled the rivets out where I could, cut the steps down, cut and welded the bits that were not riveted, and riveted it back together.
It's proved really useful over the years.

But I don't think it's the solution to Uh Ohs issue here, as it still takes some effort and flexibility to use.

Nasher
It looks the doggys mate.
Old 06 July 2021, 10:16   #18

Quote:
The boat doesn't have to be upright with the Bow nudged up on the beach, it will naturally flop over to the side where she's sat on the tube, so will be very low.

The issue with using a step, apart from it floating away, is that you end up stood upright at the height of the tubes and would then need to step down into the boat, which at 500mm could be quite a step.
Very good point. It highlights the issue of trying to visualise a solution to problem. Wood and trees come to mind. Thank you.
Old 06 July 2021, 10:28   #19

Thank you everyone

Thank you everyone for your suggestions. As always, this community comes up trumps with really helpful advice. Its my go to.

Its soft sand so I've decided to gently beach the boat, and as Nasher has explained, I'm sure my wife will be able to get in ok by simply sitting on the tube and lifting her legs over. Maybe with a little help from moi.

Thanks to Salty Pete for the stirrup suggestion which is simple but brilliant and will be my go to way for getting back in and for retrieving MOB.

THANK YOU
Old 07 July 2021, 12:53   #20

Town: Pembroke
Boat name: Rapscallion
Make: Humber Destroyer 6.0
Engine: E-TEC 150
For even easier access, walk the boat in and nudge it onto the beach stern first, this creates the easiest possible way in/out partcularly if you have a high-bowed or deep-vee boat. Just be quick if the tide is falling!

Tags
rib