Old 08 July 2020, 01:05   #1

Town: Girdwood, Alaska
Make: Zodiac
Length: 5m +
Engine: 50hp 2 stroke
Blank slate Hurricane 530

Hi all,
I recently picked up a 1990 Zodiac Hurricane Pro 530 and am looking for any input on outfitting it.

It came w/o a motor, but with a starboard center console mounted ~3/4 of the way towards the bow with steering.
Previous owner had a Yamaha 115. Data plate is rated to 120hp (which I believe was the Mercury Force 2 stroke 120 at the time of manufacture)

Currently we are puttering around with a 40hp tohatsu tiller control I was able to borrow from a friend, it's just enough to get us on plane, but is allowing us to catch some summer boat time as we plan. Above deck fuel potable fuel tank currently.

I am looking at 70-90 hp motors as we are new mariners and while I appreciate power, I can live without the extra expense, weight and power for our use.

Family of 2 adults, 1 6 y/o, 1 elderly German Shepherd Dog and 1 chocolate lab on board usually (but not always). We are experienced wilderness travelers, but new mariners.

Primary use is family cruising on Alaska lakes and Prince William Sound (PWS), Homer/Cook Inlet. Definitely taking it out to deer hunt later in the year in PWS with. Trips will include overnight camping on lake islands and in PWS, both on islands and at shore based sites and cabins.

Currently sorting out seating using lashed down coolers as placeholders.

As I am new to boating, I would love advice on weight distribution, motor size, seating solutions, and general advice on boat set up. Beside the console, the boat has an open deck, no bow box or anything, just a few tie downs.

Do folks put batteries in the console to move weight forward? That would put it in the same spot relatively as the pilot, which to my uneducated mind stacks weight on one side. Above deck fuel tanks in the stern seems standard in many boats, are ribs the same?

Ultimately thinking a rear bench seat with a back, tied into an A frame attached through transom and deck, over the fuel in the rear. Leaning post for the helm, or just stand. small jump seat in front of the console, mostly because it worked well for our maiden voyage on Saturday with a small cooler!
Worth building a bow locker of some sort?
Probably going to put a T top on eventually for some shade and rain protection.

Thanks in advance for any info, critique or encouragement!

Sorting out my photo sharing too, here's one from our maiden voyage sorry for the link:

[IMG]Maiden Voyage Hidden Lake[/IMG]

Sorted:
Old 28 July 2020, 02:18   #2

We've been getting out a ton in July with the boat. A neighbor donated an older 50hp Tohatsu with controls that was taking up space in his shed. It's the same vintage as the 530, and a bit rough around the edges. I got it all rigged over the last week and we took it north to Big Lake to try out in warm water with lots of other boats around! All went well and the few gremlins we found were easily sorted this afternoon.

The console control is a game changer.

Old 16 September 2020, 06:26   #3

Alaska summer adventures

Some more pictures from summer adventures.

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 16 September 2020, 23:22   #4
RIBnet supporter

Town: Newcastle
Boat name: Merlin
Make: RB4 Gemini 550
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 90C
lovely part of the world.
Were you sold the boat on the basis that it is a Zodiac Hurricane model ?
I can tell you its not, that the Hurricane is a deep V model much sought after,
generally sold through Zodiac's Milpro set up.
Most that come to the second hand market have come down from
the Navy, Coastguard etc
What you have is regular Zodiac Pro 530, medium V hull and a much different
animal to the Hurricane.
To see some of the typical set ups for the Pro 530 leisure Rib just try searching
online. The offset console position was typical.

You should search on this forum .. the difference between a 530 pro
built in the factory in Canada that makes the Hurricane, and the actual Hurricane etc .
Try starting with this thread... enjoy yourself - going to be freezing
up there before you know it !!
https://www.rib.net/forum/showthread...eferrerid=3686
Old 16 September 2020, 23:54   #5

Thanks MustRib!

I didn't buy it based on the Hurricane model. It was built by the Hurricane factory according to the info plate though.

Definitely been doing a lot of reading, and I appreciate these links. I had wondered just what you confirm about actual model.

Things are cooling quickly here. Snow has fallen on the peaks, but at sea level we'll be in the rainy season for a bit yet.

Thanks again!