Click Here to Login

Old 15 May 2007, 18:01   #1

Town: Ayrshire
Boat name: Raven
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150 suzuki
MMSI: 235040525
Blaming the drink but it was only my steering.

I have seastar hydraulic steering,

When up on the plane, the boat slowly veers to the left, which necessitates corrective input to keep the boat running straight, do they all do this?

The movement is very small to the point that you start doubting yourself as to whether you have inadvertently wandered, however after noticing I paid attention to the positioning of my hands on the wheel and it's the steering that's wandering.

Has anyone come across this.

Cheers,

IB.
Old 15 May 2007, 18:08   #2

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
Length: 4m +
I had an Osprey that did this. I put it down to prop torque. Think of a helicopter; if it didn't have a rota at the back the body of the chopper would spin round under the top rota blades. Its the same with a boat; if the props whizzing round at 6k rpm it can create a bit of a veer. On the Osprey it was a complete nightmare - anywhere above about 3k rpm the boat would dive really badly to the left. In the end I decided the boat was overpowered; it had a 115 and would probably have been happier with a 90.

If the veer is only very slight you may get away with adjusting the trim tab on the underside of the anti ventilation plate just above the prop. If not I don't know, trim tabs maybe?
Old 15 May 2007, 18:13   #3

Town: Oakley
Boat name: Zerstörer
Engine: Suzuki DF 140
MMSI: 235050131
Iain,

Mine doesn't do this. As far as I'm aware it runs straight as a die even when my hands are not on the steering wheel which I like. My last boat went dramatically round in circles if you let go of the steering wheel.

I'm out tomorrow so I'll make a point of watching out for it veering off and I'll post back tomorrow night.

NR.
Old 15 May 2007, 18:15   #4

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
Nick, (guessing here about the types of steering) that could be due to the fact that your searider had cable steering and the ribcraft has hydraulic?
Old 15 May 2007, 18:28   #5

Tim,

Thats right. The Searider was old and had many foibles. It was okay for me because I was used to it but on this new boat everything is vastly better. It should be it cost an arm and a leg. Even before Iaim mentioned the steering I was impressed with it. Means I'm able to drive along talking on my mobile phone with one hand and gesticulating the other at all the bad drivers on the sea. Makes me feel like I'm driving round town. (The last bits only a joke).
Old 15 May 2007, 20:18   #6

Nick,

On reading my post, I wasn't clear, the issue is one of the steering needing to be turned very slowly all the time to get the desired affect,(run straight and true) my first thought is that there is a seal weeping pressure slowing in the ram.

But I'm new to oil steering so could be wrong. My old searider (telelflex) would pull to the left up to a point,if you kept trimming out too far, it would eventually pull to the right? trimmed just right you could take your hands of the wheel. It was a good way to tell if the thing was trimmed right.

If you are out on Sat, get the boat on the plane running straight, then put your hand in a set position on the wheel, Things I think, should remain constant.

On mine your would find in a short space of time that your hand would be moving round and you would need to take another bite at it....

My concern is the accident( if your aware of it ) on Loch Lomond where a father and daughter died because of sudden and catostrophic steering failure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggles View Post
Iain,

Mine doesn't do this. As far as I'm aware it runs straight as a die even when my hands are not on the steering wheel which I like. My last boat went dramatically round in circles if you let go of the steering wheel.

I'm out tomorrow so I'll make a point of watching out for it veering off and I'll post back tomorrow night.

NR.
Old 15 May 2007, 20:24   #7

Town: Fareham
Length: 6m +
Yes, all hydraulic steering can "creep" ie: steering wheel in a different position relative to the outboard being in the same postion.

Obviously as things start to wear you might well expect this "creep" to worsen. I think it's down to a one way valve within the helm unit. If it's an old helm it might be ready for a refirb or replacement.

Could also be a leak, have you been topping up lately?

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2007, 20:33   #8

Iain,

I thought I had understood you maybe I didn't put myself across correctly.
Just to make it clear as far as I'm aware I have to make no corrections at all once its set on a course.
Tomorrow I will check this and report back.

Nick R.
Old 15 May 2007, 23:33   #9
DJL

Make: Ribcraft 6.5
Engine: Suzuki DF175TG
As far as I’m aware you shouldn't be experiencing that much creep.

First thing to check is the oil level - from memory the oil should be no lower than 1/4 inch below the filler. Also check its colour, it should be like vegetable cooking oil - clear and slightly orange in colour.

Next, turn the wheel hard to port until it stops. Then keep turning the wheel to pressurise the system until you hear the pressure relief valve trigger (popping/gurgling/spring type noise) - will require a fair amount of force, you won't do any damage. Check all the port hoses/connectors for leaks. Then repeat turning the wheel to starboard. If you can't pressurise the system then you either have a leaky relief valve or seals are leaking (or you have a leaky hose).

If the systems fairly old, you might want to get it serviced, they will fit new seals etc.
Old 16 May 2007, 06:54   #10

When it stops raining I try that,

the steering is 7 months old (along with the rest of the boat) so I hope it's not age.

Is repairing/replacing a seal yourself easy?

Thanks for your info.

Iain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJL View Post
As far as I’m aware you shouldn't be experiencing that much creep.

First thing to check is the oil level - from memory the oil should be no lower than 1/4 inch below the filler. Also check its colour, it should be like vegetable cooking oil - clear and slightly orange in colour.

Next, turn the wheel hard to port until it stops. Then keep turning the wheel to pressurise the system until you hear the pressure relief valve trigger (popping/gurgling/spring type noise) - will require a fair amount of force, you won't do any damage. Check all the port hoses/connectors for leaks. Then repeat turning the wheel to starboard. If you can't pressurise the system then you either have a leaky relief valve or seals are leaking (or you have a leaky hose).

If the systems fairly old, you might want to get it serviced, they will fit new seals etc.
Old 16 May 2007, 07:29   #11

Town: Inverkip
Make: Redbay 11m Cabin
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x Yamaha422Sti 275
Check/Bleed the system if you dont find any leaks as it sounds like it has a bit of air in it.
Andy
Old 16 May 2007, 07:55   #12

Andy,

How is this done ?

Thanks,

Iain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Gee View Post
Check/Bleed the system if you dont find any leaks as it sounds like it has a bit of air in it.
Andy
Old 16 May 2007, 18:13   #13

Town: Cowes
Boat name: Niam-ho
Length: 7m +
Engine: Suzuki DF250
MMSI: 235040417
Iain,
I've noticed a small element of sidewards drag on mine too (same deal - Seastar hydraulic)... nothing mega, but the boat definately veers slightly more to one direction, with helm needing to make corrective steering alterations to accommodate. Similarly, mine is quite new, ~8months old.
Old 16 May 2007, 19:48   #14

Iain,

Checked mine today and absolutely no veering either way.

NR.
Old 16 May 2007, 20:16   #15

Town: Reading, Hants
Boat name: Juicy
Make: Sealine F43
Engine: 2 x 370hp
MMSI: TBC
i have the seastar steering and mine goes straight as a die, you can comfortably travel with no hands at speed ..slow down and speed up..not recommended of course!
Old 16 May 2007, 20:33   #16

Nick,

Thanks for having a look, I'll try to have a go at bleeding it, as I've found the manual.

Nauti,

My boat run straight and flat with no drag, if i'm picking you up correctly, from either side of the hull, the boat just needs the steering to be constantly turned to maintain a straight course.

Huge,

Are you sure you aren't utlising that member to maintain a straight course ?

your lucky it's hydraulic, teleflex kicking back would sure make your eyes water
Old 16 May 2007, 20:38   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBWET View Post
Nick,

Thanks for having a look, I'll try to have a go at bleeding it, as I've found the manual.

Nauti,

My boat run straight and flat with no drag, if i'm picking you up correctly, from either side of the hull, the boat just needs the steering to be constantly turned to maintain a straight course.

Huge,

Are you sure you aren't utlising that member to maintain a straight course ?

your lucky it's hydraulic, teleflex kicking back would sure make your eyes water
no actually it is my belly rubbing against the steering wheel!!

it does run straight with no aid
Old 16 May 2007, 22:01   #18
DJL

Make: Ribcraft 6.5
Engine: Suzuki DF175TG
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBWET View Post
When it stops raining I try that,

the steering is 7 months old (along with the rest of the boat) so I hope it's not age.

Is repairing/replacing a seal yourself easy?
Shouldn't be having problems at that age - its still under warranty I guess. It might be worth ringing Ribcraft or Seastar and asking them.

You can buy the seal kits, not sure I'd fit one myself.

Is it easier to turn the wheel to the side the system creeps towards? Have you only just noticed this or has it been creeping since new?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Gee View Post
Andy
You can check for air in the system by pressurising the system (using method already posted) whilst watching the oil level in the helm. If the level goes down as you pressurise you've got air in the system.
Old 16 May 2007, 22:14   #19

Town: Nelson
Boat name: Mr MaBlue
Make: Wavebreak 4.2 Sport
Engine: Yamaha 60hp
...check that your motor is properly installed and not off center....
Old 16 May 2007, 22:24   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunta View Post
...check that your motor is properly installed and not off center....
i do beleive you will find that most are fitted off center to counteract prop torque i am sure that ribcraft would know exactly where to fit the engine for the configuration of the boat based on how many they have made. hopefully something simple with your steering