Old 20 August 2002, 18:11   #41

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Of course we did!! (...quickly making up that I haven't lost the plot... )

Thanks for putting me right, I'll look at the picture again in an entirely new light.
Old 20 August 2002, 19:17   #42
DJL

Make: Ribcraft 6.5
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki DF175TG
What was the length of the smallest boat that took part? I'm thinking of doing a Poole -> Cherbourg trip, but i'm not sure about it in a 4.7m RIB.

I can do about 120nmi without refueling so thats no problem and I have done long cruises near the coast but never that far out.

Daniel
Old 20 August 2002, 19:43   #43
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
It's doable (is that a word?), but won't be a particularly comfortable few hours!

I would make sure to pick a decent weather window, and if you plan to cruise in company then make some allowances for the difference in comfortable cruising speeds if the other boat is bigger.

My early channel crossings were in a 5.7m RIB with Alan Priddy in Still Never Enough showing as an occasional splash on the horizon!

John
Old 20 August 2002, 21:09   #44

doable in a 4.7m RIB?

Yes, weather window was the phrase that I was thinking of...

But I'm certainly not the best person to recommend what is, or isn't possible. What I can tell you is that the smallest RIB on the cruise was a 6.5m (&150hp)...

I learnt an awful lot on this cruise. One thing was the safety of cruising in company. Not just the numbers, but the quality of experience. It was like being in a five-a-side team with Beckham, Gigsy, Owen and Seaman. It's not something that I had considered until joining BIBOA (mainly 'cos I didn't know anyone else with a RIB). One RIB suffered an engine fault off Cap de la Hague which could have been extremely serious on a solo RIB. This was resolved by a tow across the channel. Not a problem at all when the tow boat is a 10m with one of the country's most experienced RIBsters.

I don't have a RIB of my own, so I went over on Still Deep One, a 9.5m twin diesel engined Delta. The outward passage was at about 33-36kts, with almost no wind but a confused sea which slowed some of the smaller boats. I returned on the smallest RIB (when we left Carteret marina, some English people on a 36ft cruiser pointed at us and shouted "are you going across the channel on that???") and we lost no time in getting on with the passage as the wind was forecast to rise to F4-F5 during the afternoon. I took the helm for a short period of time and found the conditions difficult - not because of much of a chop, but just difficult to keep on course whilst maintaining speed. More experience needed, I think! We were able to keep up 32-33kts all the way back, but part of that was whilst travelling in the flat part of Still Deep One's wake whilst battling against the disturbed sea off the Cherbourg Peninsular.

Lessons? My skipper (Peter) was well at home on his 6.5 m Scorpion in a variety of conditions. However, with my limited experience, I was struggling when at the helm. But, having a crew member on board is very desirable. I could give Peter a rest, control the boat during a "comfort" break, use the VHF, all things that were impossible for a solo RIB skipper at speed.

However, to blow all my arguments "out of the water" Brian tells us that the Alderney Harbourmaster has done a cross-channel in a 4m inflatable in an F8! Just goes to show that you need to know your boat.

Longest answer to the simplest of questions? (don't answer that! )

See you on the Weymouth cruise (or perhaps on a cross-channel?).

Richard.
Old 20 August 2002, 21:21   #45

Make: FB 55
Length: 10m +
That's right...... Roland Neale of Maynebrace, Alderney(Chandlery,boat and engine repairs,water taxi, in fact most anything), but not the Harbourmaster. His story is legendary, in nothing more than a 4m RIB he crossed the Channel in a Force 8 . Battered and bruised he limped into Alderney. Sometimes biggest is not always best. The kind of confused seas we find around here with a short steep chop is better approached with a 5.8 or 6.5 M RIB. The gap between, say up to 9M is very uncomfortable. Basically it all comes down to the condtions on the day. Why do you not try and team up with a few other ribs and wait for a nice weather window and go for it? Please let us all know when you are going and a detailed report upon yor return.....GOOD LUCK.

PS. Roland Neale (Maynebrace) Alderney has retired in the last couple of weeks and sold the business. His (ex)business partner, the plucky Pam, retains 49% of the business.
Old 20 August 2002, 21:35   #46

"Battered and bruised"

Roland's tougher than me then! I almost couldn't sit down for the Monday after the cruise due to "numb bum"
Old 23 August 2002, 17:47   #47
DJL

Cheers for all the info guys. Don't think i will be trying a crossing in F8!

Just got to sort out all the paper work now. Certificate of competence and all that, plus a new passport (the last one took a trip through the washing machine)
Old 23 August 2002, 22:42   #48

Town: SOUTHAMPTON
Boat name: Won't get Fooled Again
Make: Ribtec
Length: 6.5
Engine: Honda 130
I have a 4.7 metre Avon and I'd love to take her accross the channel. So if you want to follow up Charles suggestion then count me in

yipee
Stuart
Old 24 August 2002, 19:52   #49
DJL

Sounds good. I'm off boating this week in the solent, I will start making plans when I get back.

Anybody else fancy a trip accross the channel?
Old 24 August 2002, 21:21   #50

Town: Worcestershire
Boat name: Not Yet Named
Make: Avon SR 4
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40 HP Yamaha Autolub
We are planning a crossing from Poole to Cerbourg on 23 or 24 September - staying over and returnng next day.

See thread started by Mike C

So far as I know the current boats are a 6.3 Humber, a 6.2 Avon, a 5.6 Avon and possibly a 4.8 metre Yam.

If you are free then - why not come along