Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Beware EBay cheap anchor chain

I bought a 5kg Bruce style anchor, 100 ft nylon rope and galvanised chain off a seller on EBay last year with perfect feedback. This was for a trip to the Summer Isles, as we knew the boat would be anchored off Ardmair point. Normally I just use my trusty grapnel anchor, as the boat is usually launched and retrieved. It's maybe been used once or twice since then as we anchor Sula if we're using the Avon tender to investigate the NE coastline or go ashore.

I was doing some minor gel coat repairs on Sula yesterday and considered removing the bow eye so had to get into the bow locker. I was actually shocked at the condition of the anchor chain when I saw it. It's a complete mess and only fit for scrap. The integrity of the chain is fine, but there's heavy rust flakes, and when you see the condition of an old Helly Hansen buoyancy aid that it sits on in the bow locker you'll see it's literally been disintegrating. Even the rope thimble was rusted, and the shackles. Ended up taking a grinder to the shackles to separate from the anchor, as the screw sheared when I tried to remove. The anchor itself is fine.

I've switched over the galvanised chain I had from the grapnel anchor, now bear in mind this is 10 years old, and the shackles are perfectly serviceable, and the chain looks as good as when I bought it.

Going to go through a proper chandlers next time. I'll propbably get scr**ed on weight and delivery charge, but needs must to get proper quality.

Anyway, buyer beware. Plenty anchor combos on EBay just now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0493.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	170.5 KB
ID:	133421   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0494.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	133.8 KB
ID:	133422   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0495.jpg
Views:	144