Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 25 June 2022, 09:49   #1

Town: London
Length: no boat
Best forecast of sea state in the Solent?

Hi,

As the title says, I'm looking for somewhere that will show me a forecast of water conditions in the Solent. This is because I hire my boat in advance and some of my passengers have bad backs and can't handle drops and bounces.

Some of my passengers absolutely love the the thrill!

Is there somewhere that can give me a relatively simple answer, a map would be ideal, showing forecasted wave heights or sea state conditions? Or am I asking too much.

This is the best resource I've found so far... if anyone has something better or an app recommendation please do share!

The idea is to have a rough estimate of what to expect before getting on the water. I assume it's more than simply looking at the wind speed, or is it that simple?
Old 25 June 2022, 10:34   #2

Length: 3m +
Ferryman recommended to me the Solentmet App which gives live weather from Southampton Water, Bramble Bank, Chichester Harbour etc.
Old 25 June 2022, 11:05   #3

Town: London
Quote:
Originally Posted by chriswjallen View Post
Ferryman recommended to me the Solentmet App which gives live weather from Southampton Water, Bramble Bank, Chichester Harbour etc.
Have used this excellent app but unless I'm using it wrong, it provides live weather, not a forecast?
Old 25 June 2022, 12:03   #4

Length: 3m +
Yes you are right - it is real-time. I also use XC Weather app for forecasts up to a week ahead
Old 26 June 2022, 07:29   #5

Town: Plymouth
Boat name: Sea Dragon
Make: Tornado Viking
Length: 6m +
Engine: 100 Yammy
Its not a bad idea to build up an idea of the weather for yourself, using a number of sources

Synoptic charts will give you an over view and an idea of what is likely to be coming our way, though remember no forecast is really reliable more than 3 days ahead

Windfinder, XC, Ventuski, etc are all good for broad forecasts using set models - pick one that represents the data in a way you like

And lastly dont overlook the Inshore Waters Forecast, its one of very few that are written by human being with a specific usage in mind. The only downside is the sea areas usually over 100nm long so not location specific

Failing that get a weather rock (also indicates earthquakes)
Old 26 June 2022, 09:03   #6
RIBnet supporter

Town: Cowes
Boat name: Clear Dawn
Make: Cormate
Length: 7m +
Engine: Verado 200
MMSI: 235924981
I like XC weather as well, it seems to work well around here. SolentMet does give the opportunity to get in the lee of the IOW and find some calm water.
Old 27 June 2022, 03:49   #7

Town: Hamble
Engine: Bigger the Better!
https://bramblemet.co.uk/(S(2vb4j555...)/default.aspx

MGx
Old 27 June 2022, 09:12   #8

Make: RC585
Length: 5m +
Engine: 140
It's wind and tide innit.
I've mentioned the Absolute Tides app elsewhere. It includes tidal stream charts.
Wind against tide is always choppier and the stronger the tide the bigger the waves.
In the Solent the west going ebb tide which starts about two hours before HW Portsmouth is always stronger than the east going flood tide. So the worst conditions are always a westish wind against a spring ebb.

Get the Absolute Tides app, study the tidal stream charts.

Look at the https://isleofwightwebcams.co.uk/web...owes-yachting/ at different times in conjunction with Bramblemet wind strength and the appropriate tidal stream chart and you will gain an understanding of how to forecast for yourself what future conditions will be like.

For example on a day with a strong SW wind check the Cowes camera about 4 hours before HW Portsmouth, take a screenshot, then check it again about 2 hours after HW Portsmouth. See the difference!