Old 19 June 2015, 01:19   #1

Town: Squamish
Boat name: Scooty Puff Jr.
Make: Defender
Length: 4m +
Engine: Evinrude Etec
beaching considerations

Hi there,
I'll try to keep this simple and to the point.
I am looking for thoughts about a boat that we are looking at purchasing for a business venture...without getting too much into the details of the day-to-day; we need a medium sized boat to get men and gear onto rocky shores and rocky beaches.
We have always used SIBS in the past due to the rocky shoreline in the Howe Sound, as I have felt they did this best. We currently have a 14ft SIB with a tiller and in the past we had a 16ft SIB with a nice console system(recently stolen). The beaching advantages of these are clear, however, they suffer in the performance category when comparing to a RIB.
We are now looking at upgrading to a 17-18ft sized boat that would need to move more people and faster and further.
So my question(s) revolves around this...Is there any way to make a RIB able to beach on rocks regularly without causing hull damage? Something more than a simple keel protecting strip? Or should I stick with the SIB format? Will this format (just like the set-up we had before) perform better or worse in the larger size with say a 50hp on it? Is there any way to stiffen stringers and/or transom in a larger SIB?
There's a lot there to consider...thanks for taking the time for reading and thanks in advance for any suggestions or thoughts.
cheers,
Simon
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	10887159_10103101341229392_2591882703238038501_o.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	301.0 KB
ID:	106204   Click image for larger version

Name:	10632653_10154572091715193_8074958362715176652_n.jpg
Views:	292
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	106205   Click image for larger version

Name:	11252500_10155660140230008_3879056122922006900_o.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	116.0 KB
ID:	106206  
Old 19 June 2015, 04:42   #2

Town: Cork Ireland
Boat name: Rambler
Make: Valiant PT
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki Df 60 a
I have a Buster magnum aluminium with a Honda 130 outboard coming up for sale in the next cuple weeks . This would be ideal for the Job with loads of deck space for transporting crew .
Boat and trailer in V good condition €13000
Old 19 June 2015, 06:38   #3

Town: N. Devon
Boat name: (Not Another) Nutkin
Make: Highfield
Length: 6m +
Engine: Outboard, Honda 135
MMSI: 232036183
RIBase
Rigid Rader or dory hull seems perfect for this role.

Bude Dive Club - www.budediveclub.co.uk
GAFIRS - www.gafirs.org.uk
treerat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2015, 07:15   #4
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
We did see boat here recently which had the hull covered in a giant keel protector. It's a lot of trouble and will still get damaged if it's not treated delicately. You may be as well buying an aluminium hull (also not invincible).

Or have you considered retooled polythene something like a pioneer multi with its fold down front might be ideal. There are more affordable alternatives but none I am aware of with that ramp. If you search youtube for waly boats you will see the sort of abuse they can survive. There are also examples of mac boats being intentionally driven into rocks somewhere. At the end of the day though you will always have a vulnerable prop sticking out the back.
Old 19 June 2015, 07:22   #5

Town: N. Devon
Boat name: (Not Another) Nutkin
Make: Highfield
Length: 6m +
Engine: Outboard, Honda 135
MMSI: 232036183
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
At the end of the day though you will always have a vulnerable prop sticking out the back.
Outboard jet will help with that too - still got the leg but it'll let you get closer.

Mount this on a rigid raider (or similar) and you'll get everywhere you want to go.

It's why the marines use them

Bude Dive Club - www.budediveclub.co.uk
GAFIRS - www.gafirs.org.uk
treerat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2015, 08:37   #6

Town: Castlebar
Boat name: Clewless
Make: Valiant DR 490
Engine: 60 hp ETEC
MMSI: Awaitng one
RIBase
The problem as I see it is that you require a boat with a very shallow draft i.e sib to get close to the shore, but you also need a boat with a med- deep Vee hull to cut through the chop. I think that a single boat cannot do both. The advice on the Ali Hull may be the best solution as it has a Vee hull and can take some abuse.

TSM
Old 19 June 2015, 08:41   #7

Town: Squamish
Boat name: Scooty Puff Jr.
Make: Defender
Engine: Evinrude Etec
Beaching

Thanks for your input guys.

A lot of the suggestions here are unavailable to me here in PNW Canada.

I guess my question open to this forum is sort of a philosophical/engineering one that has probably been covered...but in this case it is very mission specific.

I need to move 6 people several times daily 10-25km at good speed to places that have no soft landing...hard rock ledge shelfs.

I am considering a Defender 530 or Achilles SU18 with a full console system and 50hp or on the other hand a very durable RIB like an SRMN500/550 with a 70hp

I know the obvious points about how they would compare as far as performance on the open water...but what I would love is any info about beaching abilities and durability of a RIB...and any other mods that could help this.

At the end of all of these trips there will be no way to get the personnel off the boat without putting the bow on rock shelfs. I have zero experience with aluminum hulled boats so don't know if thats a reasonable solution...my gut tells me with seeing how the sea beats up boats on the shore it would not cut it...but I'm looking for people with experience.

thanks again,
SH
Old 19 June 2015, 10:08   #8

Boat name: Tempo
Make: Scorpion 8.1 Mk1
Length: 8m +
Engine: Honda BF225
Sea legs is the way to go.
Old 19 June 2015, 10:09   #9

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by otilly View Post

Even then you'd need a gentle shelving beach, not a rocky shelf. The potential for costly damage is even higher.

.....sh1t happens.......
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2015, 10:29   #10

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Quote:
Originally Posted by otilly View Post
Lot easier (and cheaper!!)...pluss that choice although no doubt right for some is rather "limiting" your type/spec of RIB.... surley better just to get a small Dinghy tender!...or anchor and swim (Dry suit optional)..works for most peolple.

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2015, 13:55   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
Or have you considered retooled polythene something like a pioneer multi with its fold down front might be ideal. There are more affordable alternatives but none I am aware of with that ramp. If you search youtube for waly boats you will see the sort of abuse they can survive. There are also examples of mac boats being intentionally driven into rocks somewhere. At the end of the day though you will always have a vulnerable prop sticking out the back.
I would look into this route, I was at Seawork yesterday and looked at both, in particular the drop down bow and massive amount of deck space on the Multi was very impressive.
Old 19 June 2015, 14:09   #12
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Just realised autocorrelation has changed rotomolded to retooled!
Old 19 June 2015, 22:50   #13

Town: Cardiff
Length: no boat
How about:

ceasar inflatables
Old 20 June 2015, 03:30   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDAV View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceasarinflatables.co.za
5.3 Ceasar Maxi

Length - 5.3M
Max HP - 90HP
Max person - 6
Max Weight - 800KG
He says he needs to move 6 people. I was assuming that was 6 plus crew but I may be wrong? Even if its not for a boat that size with 6 on it will be cosy. That boat doesn't strike me as any better for the job than a standard big SIB for rocky shores? But may be faster than a SIB 'at sea' however fast and bouncy doesn't = safe to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shayter
I need to move 6 people several times daily 10-25km at good speed to places that have no soft landing...hard rock ledge shelfs.
Surprised no-one has mentioned seating? He's talking of moving 6 people at good speed over a fair old distance. If I'd posted up that I was thinking of doing Rib Rides in the UK for 6 people on a SR5.4 because it has a carrying capacity of >6 people so it must be OK, I'd have been destroyed by the forum for the risk of seating on the toobs. Does the collective think its OK to be moving people 25km at sea on the toobs? Or worse on the solid edges of a pioneer?

So Shayter - you may want to describe in a little more detail the Modus Operandi. Is that 6 people (?+crew) who you pick up from a starting point. Do they have gear? You then transport them at speed (what sort of speed were you thinking?) to a rocky shore location and chuck them out. Do you then return empty and collect more and return to the same location? Or do you wait and retrieve? Is it lots of short journeys totalling 25km or a single long trip of 25km? There may be one or two other relevant things like is the SIB/RIB the only route in/out? e.g. Could they be retrieved by road in the event of a problem? Is this a safety boat as well as a means of transportation etc.

Any coding type requirements (e.g. in the UK being more than 3miles from point of depart and / or more than 3 miles from land opens up additional requirements...). Daytime only operations? Good weather only operations?

Sorry I know your interest was the beaching part but I fear you may be getting good advice on boats that will beach safely (rotomoulds and ali hulls) but that this is only half a story as there may be other requirements.
Old 20 June 2015, 08:28   #15

Talking to the importers of the Pioner there were seating options available, I was looking for use as a patrolling rescue boat, last night we were on duty from 1900-0200 this morning, I'd not have fancied sitting on the edges of a Multi for that time!
Old 22 June 2015, 19:52   #16

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by shayter View Post
Hi there,
I'll try to keep this simple and to the point.
I am looking for thoughts about a boat that we are looking at purchasing for a business venture...without getting too much into the details of the day-to-day; we need a medium sized boat to get men and gear onto rocky shores and rocky beaches.
We have always used SIBS in the past due to the rocky shoreline in the Howe Sound, as I have felt they did this best. We currently have a 14ft SIB with a tiller and in the past we had a 16ft SIB with a nice console system(recently stolen). The beaching advantages of these are clear, however, they suffer in the performance category when comparing to a RIB.
We are now looking at upgrading to a 17-18ft sized boat that would need to move more people and faster and further.
So my question(s) revolves around this...Is there any way to make a RIB able to beach on rocks regularly without causing hull damage? Something more than a simple keel protecting strip? Or should I stick with the SIB format? Will this format (just like the set-up we had before) perform better or worse in the larger size with say a 50hp on it? Is there any way to stiffen stringers and/or transom in a larger SIB?
There's a lot there to consider...thanks for taking the time for reading and thanks in advance for any suggestions or thoughts.
cheers,

Simon
When using our inflateable near jettys we cover them in rubber door mats the ones with multiple holes which allows them to be tie wrapped together to prevent damage you could set up a system you could deploy to cover the hull with buoys & ropes pull under the Boat before beaching any that get damaged can be replaced or doubled up. If set up correctly it could fold up into blocks to sit on or stow easily.

Cheers
Old 22 June 2015, 23:58   #17

Town: Dalmeny
Make: zodiac
Engine: outboard
Even aluminium boats will damage if landing or rocks with a bit of wave action. Is it possible to find a regular landing spot and just clear or at least move rocks to make the area as flat as possible.

If your regulations are anything like ours here (Aus) you may need all sorts of permits to land anywhere you like once you become a commercial business and interfering with any part of the shore line may not be possible.

Jon