Old 15 May 2007, 13:32   #1

Town: Mudeford
Make: Humber Ocean Pro 5.3
Length: 5m +
Engine: 90ho Tohatsu
batteries and fuel tanks....

Hello all,

My fuel tank is mounted in the jockey console, and is filled via an external filler, and it is also vented to the outside of the console. I wanted to put the battery in the same console, but was concerned that one day there may be a spark and a very big bang..... Anybody else got the battery in the same console as the fuel tank?

J
Old 15 May 2007, 13:38   #2

Town: Principalite d'Chaos
Boat name: The Nashers Revenge!
Make: Windsor Brothers
Length: 6m +
Engine: Optimax 225
MMSI: "Mmmmm SI" she said!
Strangly, Myself, Hightower and Pete7 were discussing this last night at the church.

My personal feeling is that the two should never be mixed.

If there are any joins at all in the fuel pipework within the console there is the potential for leaks. Fuel evaporating into vapour within an enclosed space where there is also the potential for a spark sounds like a recipie for disaster to me.

However I do understand that many have this set up and have not had any explosions.

Nasher.
Old 15 May 2007, 13:53   #3

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
I have this set up with battery ( in box ) in console along with one of the 25l tanks. It was set up this way by the avon dealer so I have to assume its OK if its all vented ( which it is) . All jetskis have the tank & battery in the same place (there really is no option in them & I have only ever heard of one problem somewhere in the US. Realistically has any one ever known of a spark from a battery igniting vapour (apart from the cases where hoses / connections/tanks were not looked after at all ? ) - I will be pleased to hear of any................If there are any stats/accident reports on it it would be interesting reading

I am ready to be proved wrong & go into panic mode .......
Old 15 May 2007, 17:21   #4

Town: Fareham
I know that several people here have fillers and tanks and primer bulb and fuel filter/water seperator in their console.

I guess that there could be a risk of explosion if fuel was spilled in an enclosed console with battery, switches and general electrical gear close by (Fuses, bulbs etc) and thats not counting any hyrogen that could build up from the charging of the battery/s.

What I will be doing is to have a fuel fill in the side of the consol with hoses and fittings within the console. I am undecided as to whether or not to install the fuel filter and seperator there as well. In theory everything should be OK providing that the console in suitably vented, this I intend to do!

Just a thought!...How do conventional fuel level senders work?

A wire round around a shaft with 12 volts passing into it, another strip rubbing along it also with voltage running though it. This is mounted within the fuel tank!

A BIG bang..... Yes or No?

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2007, 20:14   #5

thanks guys

thanks guys, i think i'll put the battery in the console with the fuel tank then. Will definately put the battery in a box though...
Old 15 May 2007, 20:38   #6

Town: Leicester
Boat name: Vixen
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Suzuki OB 175
MMSI: 235071839
Vent it as well

Remember the battery can evolve explosive gases too unless its one of the gel types like Optima (ferrociously expensive) So vent the box, and yes, I've heard of more batteries going pop than console demolition.

A battery in the same space as the fuel tank was I think a fairly normal configuration late 80's - to 90's. If it wasnt relatively safe fuel would not be piped around the power head in the way it its at tother end. So unless you can find a stautue declaring its illegal then your probably ok.
Simon B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2007, 22:45   #7

Town: cornwall
Boat name: nothing
Make: rib eye 430
Length: 4m +
Engine: tatsu 50
MMSI: 666
My battery is in the console next to the tank in aplatic battery box .

The only time I can see a spark being produced is when disconecting and re connecting the battery or if you needed to use jump leads or a charger .

The tank is vented to outside so if the tank lid is on properly and there are no fumes or spills from recent filling up It should be pretty safe .

Its not ideal but what choice is there on a smaller rib with a single console space .
Old 17 May 2007, 12:50   #8
RIBnet supporter

Town: Rutland
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightower View Post
I know that several people here have fillers and tanks and primer bulb and fuel filter/water seperator in their console.

I guess that there could be a risk of explosion if fuel was spilled in an enclosed console with battery, switches and general electrical gear close by (Fuses, bulbs etc) and thats not counting any hyrogen that could build up from the charging of the battery/s.

What I will be doing is to have a fuel fill in the side of the consol with hoses and fittings within the console. I am undecided as to whether or not to install the fuel filter and seperator there as well. In theory everything should be OK providing that the console in suitably vented, this I intend to do!

Just a thought!...How do conventional fuel level senders work?

A wire round around a shaft with 12 volts passing into it, another strip rubbing along it also with voltage running though it. This is mounted within the fuel tank!

A BIG bang..... Yes or No?

I put my primer bulb in the rear pod and the filter etc on the Aframe with the filler/breather on the side of the console

James
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	filter-vent-cutouts.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	34.5 KB
ID:	26928   Click image for larger version

Name:	fuel-filter.jpg
Views:	606
Size:	113.9 KB
ID:	26929  
Old 17 May 2007, 13:05   #9

bedajim

hey bedajim that looks like a nice setup. quick question, that black flexible cable conduit you are using, where did you get it from, can you get it online?
Old 17 May 2007, 17:00   #10

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Engine: Etec 150
mine has the battery right next to the fuel tank right under my butt and I am not at all happy about it but I don't have the time - or the proper mega insulated battery cable - to shift it at the moment as it would mean rewiring right back to the outboard

when I bought it the tank breather pipe leaked like a sieve and there was petrol sloshing round under the seat, not really the best situation

Sent from my Computer, using a keyboard and mouse
BogMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2007, 17:27   #11

Town: Fareham
Quote:
Originally Posted by bedajim View Post
I put my primer bulb in the rear pod and the filter etc on the Aframe with the filler/breather on the side of the console

James

Did you buy the filler moulding from Osprey if so how much was it?

I can't mount my fuel filter like that. I'm not having a conventional A frame. I'll mount it to either the transom or in the console.

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2007, 07:20   #12
RIBnet supporter

Town: Rutland
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightower View Post
Did you buy the filler moulding from Osprey if so how much was it?

I can't mount my fuel filter like that. I'm not having a conventional A frame. I'll mount it to either the transom or in the console.
No came from Outhill £50 ish