Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 28 January 2005, 22:53   #1

Town: London & Bolton
Length: no boat
Send a message via MSN to keytouch
bargain rib? on ebay -not got long left

nearly missed this one cos its not in the usual section

any use to anyone? looks like a bargain to me but then what i know about ribs can be written on the back of a stamp
Old 28 January 2005, 23:24   #2

Length: 6m +
Er, which Rib you talking about?
Old 29 January 2005, 00:07   #3

Town: London & Bolton
Send a message via MSN to keytouch
d'oh

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...e=STRK:MEWA:IT
Old 30 January 2005, 22:13   #4

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
Length: 4m +
I've just won the auction...........I'm still shaking...........
Old 30 January 2005, 22:18   #5

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Interesting buy and looks a good price. What are you going to do with 3 ribs, you will soon have more than Riva

Pete
Old 30 January 2005, 22:21   #6

Well.......

I'll do the little blue one up, and take it with me to uni (Portsmouth).

Sell the current 4.1. Keep the 7 at home..........
Old 31 January 2005, 07:26   #7

Town: sunny south coast
Boat name: Pride of Bilboa
Length: 10m +
MMSI: 4
Commodore Tim..

This confused..

Quantity: 1 lot (2 items each)
Cost per item: £1,750.00 each (Not sold individually)

Any idea why? Never seen it for an item that can't really be split into two lots..
Old 31 January 2005, 13:57   #8

Tim, you coming to Pompey uni? Excellent choice! Would be more than happy to show you the best place to drive your Rib down here, I've just got a job teaching powerboating.

Pompey doesn't at the moment have a powerboating club (That i've found) but there is a Sub-Aqua club with a newish Rib, and the Sailing club (which I'm involved in) is about to place an order for an XS-Rib with a 60 on the back. They are quite friendly with a local sailing club and use their facilities and yard.

Which course are you planning on studying?
Old 31 January 2005, 14:56   #9

Starting at Pompey in September doing enterprise dynamics in E-buissness. (still can't spell buiessess)

Should be fun!
Old 31 January 2005, 14:57   #10

Woo! I'm doing Disaster Risk Management...

Have you sorted out your accomodation form yet? Best 2 halls are James Watson, closely followed by Trafalgar. They're both self catering, but are also really modern and nice. Make sure you get your form in as soon as they give it to you, or you'll end up in Langstone, which is a trek and a half.
Old 31 January 2005, 15:52   #11

Town: Cornwall
Well done Tim
That looks a lot of Rib for the money. Keep your 4m though, you can use it as a tender!
Kernow :
Old 31 January 2005, 18:51   #12
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo
Pompey doesn't at the moment have a powerboating club (That i've found) but there is a Sub-Aqua club with a newish Rib, and the Sailing club (which I'm involved in) is about to place an order for an XS-Rib with a 60 on the back. They are quite friendly with a local sailing club and use their facilities and yard.
When I was there (when it was still a Polytechnic!) someone managed to persuade the Students Union to buy a brand new ski boat for the waterski club, which we used to blast around Langstone Harbour.

The "Offshore Racing Club" was good fun too -- we chartered a few Sigma 36's and pretended to go yacht racing. Normally ended up moored outside the Jolly Sailer on the Hamble and drank far, far too much Tanglefoot

Happy days . . .

John
Old 31 January 2005, 19:36   #13

The Union seem pretty up for spending money at the moment, all new buildings and such!

Langstone harbour have various speed limits and such, and as I am good friends with one of the enforcers in the Harbour master rib, I have to be good! It's langstone harbour I sail in, as they decided that beginners didn't need to contend with warships and ferries from pompey!

I think I'll reserve judgement on the Offshore Racing Club, they currently charter 50' sunsail yachts every wednesday and a lot of weekends, and I have been out with them a couple of times. However, I dont have very many nice things to say about most of them!

I do have one of their hoodies, with the slogan "If we can't win the race, we'll win the party" on the back.

Now then, must go try this tanglefoot stuff...
Old 31 January 2005, 22:18   #14

Town: Principalite d'Chaos
Boat name: The Nashers Revenge!
Make: Windsor Brothers
Engine: Optimax 225
MMSI: "Mmmmm SI" she said!
John

I still remember it fondly as the Poly too, what year did you leave? I was in the engineering block up to 89. God that's not done my reputation any good.

Didn't get involved with any of the poly boat clubs though, as I used to persuade my Dad to leave his Flatacraft with me for some of the year.

Couldn't get on with the motorbike club either, my old Z1000 was too old for them even then. Plastic fantastic brigade pretending to be hardcore.

Nasher.
Old 31 January 2005, 22:21   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kernow
Well done Tim
That looks a lot of Rib for the money. Keep your 4m though, you can use it as a tender!
Kernow :
I'll be using my 3m for that

Jimbo; which halls have student parking?
I got my letter from Ucas last Saturday about confirming my courses - finally got all my offers back. I'm going on an openday to Pompey in a couple of weeks so hope to get accomodation sorted within the month. As I understand it I'm well ahead of the pack; most of the local schools around here didn't get their UCAS applications in until January! (We had ours in back in October....)
Old 31 January 2005, 22:29   #16

Town: Essex/Vendee
Boat name: shockwave,Voluntry 2
Make: Pac 22/ searider5.4
Engine: 180hp turbo,yam 90
Well done tim, agood buy
Old 01 February 2005, 13:20   #17

The only halls that have official student parking are the ones at langstone, where you have to get in quick and pay £25 a year for a spot (always busy). That's a bonus, but the downside is the halls aren't very good, and it's a 15min bus ride from the main campus/pubs/clubs/shops. And the buses aren't too good on weekends etc.

Cos James Watson and Trafalgar are in the city centre, they have an agreement with the council which means you are NOT allowed to keep a car in Portsmouth.

That said, I have found a nice out of the way place to keep mine, and I'm in James Watson! JW and Traf are the nicest two halls, right in the centre, but the closest you're going to be able to park your car is a 5min walk. Mine is down a residential street where I spoke to some guy and he said the car should be safe. it's been down there since october with no problems.

Rees and Burrell are catered halls, don't know about parking near them, doesn't look to be easym mostly pay and display spots around.

Margaret Rule isn't too bad a hall, once again, parking just less than 5mins walk away (non-uni parking, just a quiet residential area with no pay and display)

Bateson hall is rubbish. Harry Law I don't know anything about, don't think its all that nice. Again, parking about 5mins away.

Parking in Portsmouth is generally a pain, traffic wardens tend to be quite strict too. You don't need a car to get around much, but it is mighty handy for getting home etc.
Old 01 February 2005, 13:42   #18

Town: Portsmouth
Make: Tornado
Engine: Yamaha HPDI 200
Send a message via MSN to thorper
Quote:
but there is a Sub-Aqua club with a newish Rib
Andy and I are involved with the uni sub-aqua club (just got a new XS to replace the humber we had stolen!), so if you're interested look us up at the freshers fair (UPSAC, not the other dive club that the union managed to let start up!).

If you are bringing a rib down, make sure you keep it somewhere secure, as there have been quite a few boat thefts in the last year or two

Quote:
I think I'll reserve judgement on the Offshore Racing Club, they currently charter 50' sunsail yachts every wednesday and a lot of weekends, and I have been out with them a couple of times. However, I dont have very many nice things to say about most of them!
We've had similar experiences with them too! They once borrowed our dive rib as a safety boat - it came back damaged with empty spirits bottles in the bow locker!

Ricky
Old 02 February 2005, 08:39   #19

Town: Portsmouth
Boat name: Sting
Make: Tornado 6.8
Engine: Yam 200 HPDI
Send a message via MSN to Andy
Jimbo, Tim M,

Hi there, as Ricky said we are both at the Dive Club as instructors ... take care if you look for us there are 2 clubs, we are in UPSAC the other is affiliated to Triton Dive Shop & School.

Ricky and I are very active RIBsters we are out a lot all year, all weathers in our own boats. In addition the Dive Club has a RIB although its used for diving rather than cruising. Just got it, only done 10hrs.

http://www.badviz.com/Galleries/ClubRib/index.htm
(my web site)

I have been trying to setup an RYA school at the uni to enable me to teach RYA Level 2 Powerboat to students very cheaply, with the aim of getting them into the sport and up to a basic capable skill level. However I have struggled to get this off the ground as we need to be setup and inspected which seems very difficult to pull off. I have also tried to find an RYA Principal that would help me by endorsing my teaching ... also failed. And so I am an instructor that can't teach and issue quals, very frustrating. If anybody is out there who can help me please shout..

Please get in touch with us it would be good to meet up with you both. Tim see you in September!! You will love Portsmouth if you like boats!

Other links:

www.upsac.com <-- uni dive clubs web site
www.grownupsac.com <-- extended community / old memebers etc

www.badviz.com
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 February 2005, 09:46   #20

How much is this RIB likely to weigh on it's trailer? The seller isn't sure.

Tim

(Mariner engines BTW)