Old 27 January 2007, 13:30   #1

Town: Galway
Boat name: rockhopper
Make: ballistic
Length: 6m +
Engine: petrol
MMSI: TBC
Ballistic 7.8Mtr report

Just received my copy of Rib International.

I am reading the report on the Ballistic 7.8 Mtr and I believe the 6.5 that i had planned on buying will have the same issues as follows:
Page 56 "Though the Colsole is unusually tall in design and gives the appearance serving as a real protection against the elements, we found in practise that it created vortices of air that caused the ride aboard ballistic to be noticably windy immediately behind the helm as well as those passengers located in the stern seats. This effect appears to be due in the first instance to the counsoles flat non aeroynamic leading profile..."

Also Page 57 " I found the ballistci`s hull to not really come into its own until the 30 Knot mark,.... below this this speed the going can be hard, espcially into head seas where the boat tends to sit on its haunches and fly its nose, the latter sometimes too readily..."
"these issues are a problem for a family/Leisure orientated RIB where most people will be wanting to cruise at speds of between 20-25 kts in order to to economise on fuel and establish a comfortable pace..."

My problem is that this is exactly what I need it for.

Does anyone have any information that can prove or disprove this please that have experiece with teh Ballistic rib. After all this is their top boat.
I should thank HMS for his honesty but I am alarmed now as Pointing its nose in the air upset my good wife in the last boat wher I had to add Plane wings on the engine which did work but took a few kts of the top.

The hard ride below 30 also has me thinking about suitability.

I have not picked up my boat yet and I do not wish to back out of agreement though this is most possible. I have given my word subject to sea trial....

Any takers on this one please, especially Ballistic owners
Old 27 January 2007, 14:13   #2

Town: Hampshire
Boat name: Everlong
Make: Botnia Targa 27
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD44
Always found the console to offer good protection - in 00's of charter trips not had one complaint about wind, even up to 50 odd knots. Have sat in rear port and stbd jockey plenty of times and it is noticably less windy than sitting in the same spot on an equivilent ribcraft 7.8 charter rib..the only observation I would make is that the console screen should be a bit taller - it doesnt really serve much purpose the size it is.

The ballistic hull does come into its own above 30 knots, but actually (imho) outperforms comparable ribs at speeds below this when cornering and dealing with typical solent chop. No expert on the detail or why this might be the case, but the 7.8 has always seemed to manage confused water down here better than ribs like the same sized cobra and ribcrafts I've been out on.

HMS is no doubt a more accomplished helm than me - but again, I've never noticed any tendancy to "fly its nose" - unless there are 6 fat men like me at the back and nothing to counter this up f'wd...I would suggest this is pretty normal for any boat. If anything, I've found the 7.8 to ride very flat and this can be a bit disconcerting initially - when I first drove her, I thought there was more chance of stuffing the rib rather than the front end taking off.

No idea how the 5.5 and 6.5 handle as never driven/seen one in action but with regard to the 7.8, I think HMS is a bit wide of the mark. To his last comment, all I'd say is pick the right engine, stick at 20/25 knots and you'll be fine...and have a rib that can do the business at nearly double that speed.
Old 27 January 2007, 16:05   #3

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
A hefty anchor and chain as far forward as possible will help a lot. If it is a real problem a bow ballast tank would be the ideal solution.
Old 27 January 2007, 18:43   #4
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
I've driven a couple of Ballistics, and some other RIBs with big and un-aerodynamic consoles, and haven't found it to be a problem. In fact I'd choose this sort of console.

I'm not aware that Ballistics have any particular tendency to be flighty either. In fact they always seem to run pretty level.

However, the hull design does give a harder ride than a more convention deep-V design. The scalloped chines have a lot of horizontal surface that gives lots of lift (so they're fast) but the downside is a tendency to come down hard.

I used to own a Crompton which had the same type of hull, and it was very capable but not particularly leisurely!

John
Old 27 January 2007, 19:30   #5

Town: Galway
Boat name: rockhopper
Make: ballistic
Length: 6m +
Engine: petrol
MMSI: TBC
Thank you gentlemen, you are restoring some of my confidence.

I do read the RIB Int mag or study more like.

Its not that I mind taking a chance with a 5 mtr etc, but I am jumping this size to get my final boat and I do not wish to have to do it again.

I also dont want a 4X4 massey ferg tractor thing, I like the look of the ballistic so I am hoping it will be right. I can always ann tabs or Hydro wings, though the y look ugly.

Does this boat have a ladder?

Thanks,

Aidan