Length: no boat
RIBase
Bad Rib driver or what??

http://youtu.be/3HWR77jy6Gk

A seriously bad rib driver
Old 06 April 2015, 09:49   #2

RIBase
Just to explain what's going on here. This is a gate start at a dinghy regatta - a boat steams along a line at a certain speed and the boats starting have to pass behind it. There is no excuse to just crash into a competitor however! The Rib should have stopped / avoided a collision - and then called a general recall and restart. The offending boat/s who failed to pass behind are subsequently penalised or disqualified from that race.
Old 06 April 2015, 09:55   #3

Town: N. Devon
Boat name: (Not Another) Nutkin
Make: Highfield
Length: 6m +
Engine: Outboard, Honda 135
MMSI: 232036183
RIBase
Having been involved in some of these, they are pretty manic at times.....

Although there is usually a guard boat as well to stop this. The rib is there to protect the dingy, to be fair did as he was told

Bude Dive Club - www.budediveclub.co.uk
GAFIRS - www.gafirs.org.uk
treerat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 April 2015, 10:19   #4

Town: Gloucester
Boat name: Lunasea
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzi 140
MMSI: 232005050
Under these conditions, it's the responsibility of the racing craft to stay clear of the gate and start boats is it not - it was when I raced dinghies?

The rib's job is to be the start line & it must follow -the close hauled gate dinghy- hitting it is like hitting a starting mark.

Still at the top level competitors will always push the boundaries & take risk for the optimum start.
Old 06 April 2015, 10:40   #5

Town: Cambs
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: 225 Opti
Nope very good rib driver. Very poor start by the boat whose mast he took down. For a world champs that is terrible boat handling!!
Old 06 April 2015, 11:42   #6
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
The start boat has to hold course and speed. If he tries to dodge round all the racers who are cutting it fine then the start just shouldn't work.

If this was just a bit of general boating then I'd agree that the rib driver should have avoided the collision, but in this case he seems to have done exactly the right thing.
Old 06 April 2015, 11:47   #7

Town: Wakefield
Boat name: Bouncer
Make: Redbay Stormforce
Length: 6m +
Engine: 2x Honda 100 Hp
MMSI: 235025718
That reminds me of the GRR when a boat came the other way straight into the competitors 😳
Old 06 April 2015, 13:04   #8

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Thankfully Yachties are quite soft & hopefully no damage was done to the Rib.

.....sh1t happens.......
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 April 2015, 13:31   #9
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by indaba1991 View Post
Just to explain what's going on here. This is a gate start at a dinghy regatta - a boat steams along a line at a certain speed and the boats starting have to pass behind it. There is no excuse to just crash into a competitor however! The Rib should have stopped / avoided a collision - and then called a general recall and restart. The offending boat/s who failed to pass behind are subsequently penalised or disqualified from that race.
I've watched it a few times, and think he was pretty close to stopped by the time he made contact. There wasn't obviously anywhere else to go, and I expect there were loads of boats on his stern too. There is probably 3 seconds when the intentions of the dismasted boat become clear.
Old 06 April 2015, 15:01   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
I've watched it a few times, and think he was pretty close to stopped by the time he made contact. There wasn't obviously anywhere else to go, and I expect there were loads of boats on his stern too. There is probably 3 seconds when the intentions of the dismasted boat become clear.
IF and it would have been a huge ask... He had seen the accident going to happen before the other boat with the dismasted dinghy he could have swerved both by turning to starboard and ditching the start.

Trouble is you are down to milliseconds and needing to check round you etc and being convinced he's not going to get out the way. And being convinced when there is a general recall and dismasted boy is disqualified that the dismasted boat won't protest etc and say he would have made it across the line if the poncey rib driver didn't panic....

Damned if u do, damned if u don't.

Certainly not the RIBs fault.

Did well to get the general recall signalled so quickly, think I'd still have been swearing at the dinghy crew (oops I mean checking they were OK).
Old 07 April 2015, 16:01   #11

Length: under 3m
Just goes to show that everything is not as it appears in YouTube videos at first glance!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 07 April 2015, 17:20   #12

Town: Cambs
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: 225 Opti
[QUOTE=ShinyShoe;672592]IF and it would have been a huge ask... He had seen the accident going to happen before the other boat with the dismasted dinghy he could have swerved both by turning to starboard and ditching the start.

If he'd turned to starboard he'd have put himself on a collision course with all the helms doing a decent gate start and that would have been absolute carnage because you're expecting that they have a hole to leeward to bear away into. Chances are he would have taken out three or four boats by doing that

In my view he did the right thing, throttled down and waited for the crash. It's not uncommon for the guard boat to take a hit on a gate start, which is fundamentally why he's there! I once witnessed someone starting upwind of me hit the guard boat rib broadside and stop dead! If you misjudge your approach and there's no gap sometimes you have no choice. Race starting is all about judging time and distance
Old 10 April 2015, 15:30   #13

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
Thankfully Yachties are quite soft & hopefully no damage was done to the Rib.

.....sh1t happens.......
Whaaat?? Just seen this highly contentious statement - the super hero himself (Sir Steve Regdgrave) went onboard with some yachties once. On record he said he thought they were the hardest bunch he had ever met! Your sentiments possibly emanate from the historical (if non-existent / certainly irrelevant now) divide between those who participate in either sail or power. It should be noted that these days almost every serious sailing boat / team has at least one rib. Its time to recognise that almost every yachtie either has a rib or aspires to owning one
Old 10 April 2015, 16:43   #14
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Whaaat?? Just seen this highly contentious statement -... . Its time to recognise that almost every yachtie either has a rib or aspires to owning one
It would appear however that they don't have a sense of humour!
Old 10 April 2015, 18:18   #15

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Whaaat?? Just seen this highly contentious statement - the super hero himself (Sir Steve Regdgrave) went onboard with some yachties once. On record he said he thought they were the hardest bunch he had ever met! Your sentiments possibly emanate from the historical (if non-existent / certainly irrelevant now) divide between those who participate in either sail or power. It should be noted that these days almost every serious sailing boat / team has at least one rib. Its time to recognise that almost every yachtie either has a rib or aspires to owning one
When I said soft, I meant "soft" as in flesh, bone & blood meets GRP & Stainless Steel, not the "in the head" kind of way, but then again...................
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rib