Old 27 February 2006, 14:31   #1

Town: Cornwall
Length: no boat
Backrests

Ok, being the owner of the worlds longest single jockey seat (attached)
I've decided to add some backrests in order to give the pilot something to rest his back against and provide a handhold for the passenger/s. My idea was to have 2 more backrests made to match the one at the rear of the seat and fix them on in the relevant spots, I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions at to different heights/designs that they wish they'd had or have had done, the Ribtec seat is very low and provides very little opportunity to distribute your weight through your legs so I did wander about some support in the standing position, that said when standing the steering wheel is of course then fairly low and I tend to have to bend forward to make it usable.
Any thoughts gratefully received
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	jockey seat.JPG
Views:	322
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	17681  
Old 27 February 2006, 14:47   #2

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
I agree with you, I found the standard Ribtec seat dreadful. To low and the sides catch the insides of your legs after a while, could do with more padding too if your not built like Jono. Its a narrow boat (1.1m if memory serves me correct) so your probably have to stick to in line seating but there is a lot better. Although Outhill are very expensive there seat was much better. Trip up to Ribcraft perhaps or Tue (Paul) is down your way with a 535 and a Ocean console in it. Might be worth having a sit in his.

Pete
Old 27 February 2006, 14:49   #3
exspyrd trayd membir

Town: inn wiliks hed
Make: Redbay 6.5
Length: 6m +
Engine: Twin Etec 90hp
fuk mee dats de furst tyme i sean a chez longew inn a bote beeforr

gaRf
Old 27 February 2006, 14:56   #4

Town: Reading, Hants
Boat name: Juicy
Make: Sealine F43
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x 370hp
MMSI: TBC
so kernow you must have very long arms indeed.

ribcraft do some very nice stainess backrests that might just fit your seats already, otherwise you could use marine fabrications to make something custom, i can give you a pic of mine as an idea and you could let him know the specific sizes you need and he will sort you out at a very reasonable rate i am sure as he has been very helpful

perhaps you could replace the bench with a series of single jockeys and get the height difference you need that way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kernow
Ok, being the owner of the worlds longest single jockey seat (attached)
I've decided to add some backrests in order to give the pilot something to rest his back against and provide a handhold for the passenger/s. My idea was to have 2 more backrests made to match the one at the rear of the seat and fix them on in the relevant spots, I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions at to different heights/designs that they wish they'd had or have had done, the Ribtec seat is very low and provides very little opportunity to distribute your weight through your legs so I did wander about some support in the standing position, that said when standing the steering wheel is of course then fairly low and I tend to have to bend forward to make it usable.
Any thoughts gratefully received
Old 27 February 2006, 16:05   #5

Town: West Sussex
I have seen this poor arrangement done by a few manufactures and because of the way the seat cover opens the individual persons can't have backrests.

we overcame that by giving each person seperate seating with backrest even when the the GRP section had to accomodate 2-6 persons. The seat cushion is removed to gain access to the storage area below.

You will have to do something similar if you want to give each person a backrest or leave the seating as it is , fit a backrest and provide a side hatch for storage. The latter is probably the best solution

Andre
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RGA 05040-12771a.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	17683  
Old 27 February 2006, 16:14   #6

Town: Nutbourne
Boat name: Renegade
Make: Porter
Engine: 140 Tohatsu
MMSI: 235022904
My mate's Ribtec has intermediate back rests that lift out so you can open the seat. I think they lock in to prevent them leaving the boat with the passenger still attached.
Old 27 February 2006, 16:20   #7

Town: Calshot
Boat name: Swan Song
Make: LM 27
Length: 8m +
Engine: Bukh 20
MMSI: ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Halliday
My mate's Ribtec has intermediate back rests that lift out so you can open the seat. I think they lock in to prevent them leaving the boat with the passenger still attached.
So does my Ribeye,it may be an off the shelf part,but do think about it,I think the removable back rests are such a pain,I don't use the storage at all
Old 27 February 2006, 21:33   #8

Thanks for all the responses guys,
Pete your right, I'd forgotten about the seat digging into my legs whilst stood, really uncomfortable in a short space of time. I'll stick with inline as you say but dont think I can justify a new console (besides I'll only cock it up!).
I'll have a look at Ribcraft Hugh, I spoke to my local fabricators, told them what I wanted and they asked for the backrest as a pattern, I took it off the boat removed the backrest and took it in, the guy took 1 look and said
" Oh sorry no, we can't bend stainless" I can imagine how classy a right angled welded bracket would look
Andre thanks for your input, I forgot to mention that the seat is fixed so storage is already through a side hatch, that said there's not much room there allowing for the fuel tank at the front and battery/oil tank at the rear. I must say I like the look of those comfy cushions and even more so the backrests, I think with a deeper cushion and the addition of some backrests thats about my best solution.

Quote:
fuk mee dats de furst tyme i sean a chez longew inn a bote beeforr
Garf I cant believe you've ever seen a 'chez longew' the only things you've seen like that are a park bench and a bed in a police cell
Old 28 February 2006, 07:55   #9

Town: Salcombe, Devon, UK
Boat name: BananaShark
Make: BananaShark
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2xYanmar 260 diesels
Kernow - Have a word with Dan on Boatmad or call Phoenix 316 in Plymouth - I'm sure I can find the numbers if you can't.
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2006, 08:16   #10

Town: Hayle, Kernow
Boat name: Spare RIB
Make: Narwhal
Length: 5m +
Engine: 130 Yam Outboard
Hi Kernow
Try KAB, they do all the Stainless steel work for fishing boat manufactures H Baumbach & Sons in Hayle.

KAB Metalworks
Main Telephone: 01736 740803
Sheetmetal Workers & Fabricators in steel, stainless steel, aluminium, brass & copper.
Rospeath Ind Est
Crowlas
Penzance
TR208DU

Shaggy
Old 28 February 2006, 08:40   #11

Cookee/Shaggy
Cheers boys, found phoenix phoenix316.com and I'll have a word with KAB
Old 28 February 2006, 11:58   #12

Town: Edinburgh
Boat name: Great White
Make: Searider 5.4/Dory 13
Engine: 90hp(Rib),30hp(Dory)
RIB Seats

This one is specifically for those that operate Rescue Craft. Our SR 5.4 had a 3 man console seat, until this winter, when we took a hefty boot to the rotten back half that had been added by previous owner (open throttles and 3rd crew falls backwards with backrest!). The current situation is that it can only accomodate two very friendly people on the seat, otherwise only one.

It has been voiced that as this is our primary rescue craft for our dinghy sailing events, it should be able to take helm and crew on console, in case of extreme weather. This is not my opinion however, as I feel any crew should be capable of sitting on sponson and holding tube+backrest, provifding ample security. We operate on sheltered water just west of Edinburgh, so we tend not to get big waves, except around the island. As a result, someone wants to add 6" to back of seat to allow 2 to sit. I don't want this, as it's another weak point (our boats get well abused), and it will take away valuable deck space. The other issue is that some of our sailing members are Sailibility, and so we need to ensure that they can easily be transported too. All the other rescue boats I have been in have a single jocky seat.

Any views from those that operate rescue boats would be appreciated, on the 1 or 2 seat choice... (I hope this still counts as on-topic).

Cheers,
Nick
Old 28 February 2006, 12:28   #13

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Nick, for years divers have sat on tubes travelling long distances to dive sites and I don't remember ever coming home with fewer divers than we set out with. The BSAC make it quite clear the Coxwain is in charge of the dive boat, so if you are told to sit on the floor thats what you do, no questions, just do it. I would expect the same if I had just rescued a dinghy crew, they go were the coxwain tells them, on the tubes or on the floor if its rough. Some hand holds on the tubes would be sensible. The other thought about deck space is how are you going to treat a posiible casuaulty in a small rib if the boat has a 3 man console. Have you go the room to lay a casualty flat and carry out AV and CC? would the extra deck space be helpful, something for the club to think about perhaps.

Pete
Old 28 February 2006, 12:36   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogcatfish
It has been voiced that as this is our primary rescue craft for our dinghy sailing events, it should be able to take helm and crew on console, in case of extreme weather. This is not my opinion however, as I feel any crew should be capable of sitting on sponson and holding tube+backrest, provifding ample security. We operate on sheltered water just west of Edinburgh, so we tend not to get big waves, except around the island. As a result, someone wants to add 6" to back of seat to allow 2 to sit. I don't want this, as it's another weak point (our boats get well abused), and it will take away valuable deck space. The other issue is that some of our sailing members are Sailibility, and so we need to ensure that they can easily be transported too. All the other rescue boats I have been in have a single jocky seat.

Any views from those that operate rescue boats would be appreciated, on the 1 or 2 seat choice... (I hope this still counts as on-topic).
Nick,

I'm very much in favour of having sufficient jockey seating for 2 on safety boats. Indeed, when I arranged the purchase of Portsmouth Universities Rib (only a little 4.8m Ribcraft) I specified a double jockey with individual backrests.

My reasons are as follows:

1./ You Don't actually loose that much space. Our rib is only 4.8m, yet we still have ample room to transport racing marks, racing crews to their boats etc.

2./ Even if your crew can hold on to secure points whilst sitting on the sponsons (which most can) do you really want them to? It means the helm has to spend more time concentrating on not throwing the crew out in rough weather, and less time concenctrating on positioning and race awareness.

3./ Comfort. You wat your safety boat crews to be as fighting fit as possible, especially in bad weather. Putting them on jockeys will help that a lot, as they won't be as flaked out responding to a capsize/mob etc.

4./ Multitasking. Secure on a jockey, your crew is able to operate a radio, write down tallies, and maintain better all round lookout than when sitting on a sponson holding on for dear life trying to avoid spray.

5./ Versatility. What happens when the boat isn't a safety boat? For example, using it as a photo boat, using it to transfer crews to dinghies/yachts. Then, you'll be glad of the extra seating!

6./ Storage. 1 more jockey, 1 more storage locker (generally).

7./ Sailability. Depending on the disability, it could well be preferable to have a less abled person sitting on a jockey seat. The RYA Sailabiliy dept would be very pleased to offer more advice on this. sailability@rya.org.uk.

Why not consider the system some people have, where you have a quick release jockey seat?
Old 28 February 2006, 12:40   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7
The other thought about deck space is how are you going to treat a posiible casuaulty in a small rib if the boat has a 3 man console. Have you go the room to lay a casualty flat and carry out AV and CC? would the extra deck space be helpful, something for the club to think about perhaps.
What about a spinal injury? If they're unconscious and you want to get them into the recovery position? The list could go on, and the net conclusion would be to make every safety boat a 7m ish rib with 2 jockeys side by side, and a huge flat padded area for crews/divers/first aid or similar.

The searider goes some way as a by product to helping this problem - the console offset for prop torque (ack Scary Des) has the by product of giving slightly more room on one side, so that laying down a casualty is possible.

I'd rather have my safety boat crew secure and ready to respond, and a fast enough safety boat that you can get any casualty back to shore/committee boat asap. First Aid in a small open boat is not the most practical of undertakings, no matter how much space you try and give yourself.
Old 02 March 2006, 14:08   #16

Town: Hayle, Kernow
Boat name: Spare RIB
Make: Narwhal
Engine: 130 Yam Outboard
Hi Kernow
I poped into KAB Metal works this morning and had a chat with Keith, he said that a SS back reast made in 1" tube would be approx. £100.

If your intrasted an a double A Frame with room for Nav lights VHF etc would be approx £500-600.

Cheers Shaggy