Old 01 September 2014, 19:22   #1

Town: Southampton
Make: Honwave 3.8
Length: 3m +
Engine: 5
Back to basics in a Honwave

Greetings, while searching on SIBS before buying my Honwave 3.8 air deck i came across this place and thought i would register. Found some very interesting posts on the Honwave.

I have a Maxum 1750 bowrider with 3.0L inboard as well which has been my pride and joy for the last 4 years. I keep it drystacked for 3-4 months of the year which drains me of around 270 quid per month. I just decided that for the weekends it gets used the stacking cost along with fuel is just way too much for my pocket.

Im in my late 40's now but started on the water years ago in a small Achilles with 4HP merc on it, could just about get it onto a plane on my own. The Honwave seems to be leagues ahead in design etc and i plan on swapping the 5 HP Honda engine it came with to a 25HP Honda.
I saw i video on here of someone out on the Solent in their Honwave in a chop that looked like it would be a challenge for my bowrider and it handled it with ease!

So thats about it from me, looking forward to my 1st trip out, hope it will be this season, but still have my boat in the stack, due to collect it this weekend. As the SIB will fit under the leanto around the side of the house, i think once i sell the Maxum next spring ill get a trailor and the new engine and get back to the spray in my face. I think i read the Honda 25 will do around 25 mph? will be a lot slower than the maxum, but should feel quicker as lower to the water, just wont be able to chase the seajet to the isle of Wight
Old 01 September 2014, 21:17   #2

Town: liverpool
Make: tohatsu6.1 one desig
Length: 6m +
Engine: mariner 125hp
Hello and welcome. A lot on here may say you have stepped up. Good luck with the first trip
Old 02 September 2014, 06:04   #3

Town: teesside
Boat name: magic
Make: humber 5.5
Length: 5m +
Engine: mariner 115
MMSI: 232012453
I recently came over from a fletcher arrowflash with 75 mercury outboard that would do 46 mph .now with my honwave 3.2 airfloor and mercury 15 I find I am spending a lot more time on the water.no more pissing about on the slipway (paying £25 a year for a key) needing a tow vehicle ,paying for storage , having it sat in storage as im only at my caravan for two days and its too much chew for the time im there. just unwrap the sib blow it up and walk it into the water. true its slower but I would say just as much fun just at a slower speed.easily gets on the plane and a hoot in a bit of chop
Old 02 September 2014, 19:54   #4

Being in a dry stack meant my boat would be sat in the water ready when i turned up, only 2 mins down the road from me, but the amount i have been out on it this year means each trip has cost me in excess of 200 quid!!

You saying about the slipway hassles, i remember when i had my old Achilles, i would inflate it by the side of the slipway, 10 mins later it was in the water. I used to watch all the others trying to still get the trailor into the water as i set off. It would help if we had slipways like over in the states, but we dont and never will.

Im no no longer confined to boating on the Solent and looking forward to a holiday down Devon and or Cornwall next year for some great scenery boating!
Old 02 September 2014, 21:27   #5

Make: Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50hp EFI
Hi mate and welcome (small world innit)
As said above I find my 3.8 air floor sib with 20hp motor much more versatile than the previous ridged boat it replaced.
Can launch it almost anywhere and quickly, no storage problems, no towing etc, etc.
Can even leave it inflated and chuck it on the Nav's roof if I'm lazy or touring the coastline when away in the caravan
Loads of cheap fun.....enjoy
Old 03 September 2014, 19:07   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wozizname View Post
Hi mate and welcome (small world innit)
As said above I find my 3.8 air floor sib with 20hp motor much more versatile than the previous ridged boat it replaced.
Can launch it almost anywhere and quickly, no storage problems, no towing etc, etc.
Can even leave it inflated and chuck it on the Nav's roof if I'm lazy or touring the coastline when away in the caravan
Loads of cheap fun.....enjoy
Wow it is a small world. Great choice in boats and trucks