Old 10 January 2003, 07:12   #1

Town: Newfoundland
Length: no boat
Back supports.

Does anyone have experience/recommendations/information about back braces/supports for use whilst ribbing? I know for example racers use them.

I suffered a slipped disc last year which was intensely painful and debillitating. Cross fingers touch wood etc things are a lot better now and I hope to be able to resume ribbing in the Spring. Part of the preparing for the future is in strengthening up the various muscles to support by I also wonder whether any kind of external support might help.

Either that or I'm gonna have to take up sailing !

Alan
Old 10 January 2003, 07:23   #2

Town: St Mawes
Boat name: Magellan Zulu
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 7m +
Engine: 2 x Suzuki DF150
MMSI: 235094135
Looks like a job for Google, Alan. I'll get to it. Glad the back's on the mend. Keep doing the sit-ups and press-ups!
Old 10 January 2003, 08:08   #3

Make: FB 55
Length: 10m +
Hi Alan

Good to hear you are more positive than the last e-mail you sent and are on the mend. As I explained re my accident, I had intensive physio for 6/8 months and unfortunately still suffer to this day. Back problems are exceedingly painful (not that you don't know) but with some 'targeted' exercising you can go a long way in alleviating this. The key is discipline in the routine of excercising. I was encouraged to work on my hamstrings by simply sitting on a chair and trying to touch my toes. 10-15 minutes twice daily for the first month, and every day thereafter for another 4 months. The muscles around the lumbar region need strengthening by doing sit-ups, pull-ups and push-ups. Its not so much doing it hours on end, rather the frequency; ie regularly, that is important.

I know of many people who hang themselves from their ankles for 5 minutes a day, and they swear by it. Consciously remember to adopt a good posture whilst walking, sitting or driving. Walking, cycling and swimming are the most helpful forms of exercise. I used to swim every day for half an hour for 6 months, although I never had a slipped disc, the pain and symptons are the same.

Hope this helps a little bit and look after yourself - good luck!

Oh, just one other thing - go buy yourself a kidney belt, the motorcyclists on this forum will point you in the right direction. These things which moto-cross blokes wear support the lower lumbar region and keep things nice and tight and together.
Old 10 January 2003, 08:54   #4

Town: St Mawes
Boat name: Magellan Zulu
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 7m +
Engine: 2 x Suzuki DF150
MMSI: 235094135
This looks like a good UK on-line source of back supports, Alan.

www.thephysioshop.co.uk

Good luck!
Old 10 January 2003, 09:12   #5

Town: Salisbury
Length: 5m +
Alan

maybe as well as back supports you should look at investing in some sort of custom seat with shock absorbing properties

something like the attached
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ribex2001ullman.jpeg
Views:	299
Size:	28.2 KB
ID:	1566  
Old 10 January 2003, 09:38   #6

Town: Poole
Alan

I spent 5 years with really bad back pain, sometimes unable to walk/crawl for a week or so, and would suggest regular maintenance by a Chiropractor until you are near 100%.

As suggested by the previous posts the need for continuous stretching is the key to insuring your back can twist in what can be considered normal movement and take the odd bump we know Ribs can dish out.

Regards

Mark
Old 10 January 2003, 11:35   #7

Town: Portsmouth
Boat name: Not sure
Make: ABC/Priddy
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x 500 FPT
And always remember "It doesn't even hurt in a Scorpian" as their new advert says, and if it does at least the compensation you get from sueing them will pay for a decent doctor Alan P
Old 10 January 2003, 11:37   #8

Town: Blackpool
Boat name: To Exi
Make: new sib 4 man
Length: 8+ft
Engine: Mariner 4hp long shaft
I know somebody who had two ullman seats for sale ,if thats any good.Im not sure weather they are any good or not.?
Old 10 January 2003, 12:02   #9

Town: Newfoundland
Thanks one and all..........

For the helpful comments. I have an exercise regime developed by a physio which should help strengthen the requisite muscles. I have looked at the various wierd and wonderful back supports available on the net but am interested to see whether anyone has any personal experience of anything.

Suspension seats would be lovely but I can't afford Professor Ulmans creations I'm afraid!

And yes it does bloody hurt in a Scorpion but unfortunately it also bloody hurt in the first place when I picked up my laptop one morning. So maybe I'd better sue Dell as they probably have a bigger cheque book than Graham Jelly !

Cheers,
Alan
Old 10 January 2003, 12:30   #10

Town: N.C.
Alan...

It might be worth a google on "Williams Flexion Excercises" vs "Mckensie Extension Excercises"... as well. Braces sometimes give a false sense of security, and one tends to let a brace "do the work" instead for holding good posture for whatever task is at hand.. Tying a bit of elastic flat tape around your waste, as a reminder, nothing more, can also work to remind you to maintain good posture. Then what type of chairs you sit in, how you hold your posture, slam dancing vs. country line dancing become equally important. Strengthening the muscle groups is key to holding it all together, but many people can do more harm by doing the wrong exercises, especially the sit-ups. The Williams Flexion model has worked for me and the method for sittups is crucial, and very beneficial.
Pubs can be the worst place for back pain as well, never any ergonomic seating, standing and leaning on the elbows for hours at the bar, dulling the pain with Beer, then the next thing you know your slam dancing. You might have to become a "twitcher" before it's all over. Good luck