Click Here to Login

Old 15 January 2014, 21:52   #1

Town: Poole
Boat name: El Mono
Make: Ribtec 9M
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yanmar 315/Bravo III
Back on the water (after maintenance)

Having done some work on the RIB in-between sailing trips over the Summer, am glad to have it back on the water.

I started by stripping the Bravo III outdrive down to do a full bellows replacement, shift cable, trim senders, gear oil, anodes and a repaint of the leg. I wanted to eliminate some sideways play in the drive, so used a JRMarine kit to create access to the gimbal pin, and replaced with all stainless parts I had brought over from the US (although actually, once I started pulling stuff apart, could see much of the play was in a dodgy bell housing, and once we pulled the engine, found some in the steering). I got a new bell housing (cheap off Ebay) instead of getting the knackered threads in my old one helicoiled - the lack of threads meant the housing was shifting around and causing some slop in the drive. Finally went to put the leg back on, and discovered the driveshaft wouldn't go into the engine coupler - the rear engine mounts had dropped slightly.

So ended up getting Graham ("yam man" on here) to come and pull the engine (Yanmar 6lp), which turned out to be a fairly quick job if you know how! Whilst in the workshop, we changed the timing belt, reset the valve clearances, renewed the front and rear engine mounts, replaced the power steering cylinder and put in some new bilge pump pipework. Two new batteries later, and everything works perfectly! Attached a photo of the empty (and cleaned) engine bay - many thanks Graham for all your work!

And while all that was going on, Giovanni at Rodella Ribs put on the new grey Treadmaster M-Tec wear patches, which are brilliant!

A short vid from my first test last weekend in brilliant weather: RIB "El-Mono" test January 2014 - YouTube . Now looking forward to getting out in future weekends - let's hope for more weather like that!

Regards,

Paul
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo copy.JPG
Views:	209
Size:	227.4 KB
ID:	89254  
Old 15 January 2014, 22:16   #2

Town: Margate / Ramsgate
Boat name: Bumbl
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: Yanmar diesel
This is what ribnet is all about... Unsolicited recommendations.

Please PM me yamman's contact I need exactly this done to our 6LP (engine out, big service with timing belt and valves). We don't have time to do ourselves and the boat is down your way right now.

Luckly we don't need a drive overhaul as we fitted new in 2012.
Old 16 January 2014, 07:41   #3

Boat name: Half Cut
Make: Cobra 8.6
Length: 8m +
Engine: Verado 275
MMSI: 235104619
Paul,

I saw you out last Saturday (on my way to Yarmouth for Nachos) Glad its all working again. I have pulled a V6 Ford (x2), a big block petrol V8 and a pair of Volvo 6 cylinder diesels out of boats over the years. You always seem to find more to do than expected! But is is nice to be able to start again with a spotless engine bay knowing that all the stuff that you can't normally get at is back in good condition.

I hope you will be able to join us on the next Ribnet cruise.
Old 16 January 2014, 14:15   #4

Boat name: El Mono
Make: Ribtec 9M
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yanmar 315/Bravo III
Yes, was good to see you down by the Castle, having chased me down the North channel! I'm very glad I didn't need to beg you for a tow back... Would have loved to do the run to Yarmouth, but wanted to give things a proper test first - will definitely join in on any futures trips I'm around for.

Agreed, once you've pulled the engine out, which hopefully you won't do very often, it's very easy to say "that's not quite perfect, let's fix it while we have this excellent access". Let's just hope that's it for a little while now!

Daniel - have Pm'd you the details.