Old 06 November 2016, 18:51   #1

Town: Exmouth
Boat name: Wolverine
Make: Vicking 500
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury 60hp OB
MMSI: 235000194
B7 RIB Valves

I have a Viking 500 RIB The tubes appear in good condition but I deflates slowly. It has 6 Leafield B7 valves. My first thought was to replace the valve seals. I have noticed that 1 valve will deflate the entire RIB. Do they normally have internal baffles? Even so I would be surprised if there were 6! It was supposedly professionally repaired before purchase 2 months ago. It holds pressure for 36 hours or so but does not go right down.

The valve seal replacement is a pig to do as it is difficult to get pressure on the rear to control the valve. I noticed that there is already a ‘spare’ valve inside the tube when I tried to do the first two today! Getting the valves to reseat is not easy as you can’t get sufficient pressure behind it to allow tightening with the B7 Wrench. I think I may have put the valve from inside the tube back in as it has a damaged valve in it

Any advice appreciated
Old 06 November 2016, 19:58   #2

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Hi mate have a look on poly marine web site in info tells you how to fit valves.

Cheers
Old 07 November 2016, 01:51   #3

Town: S. Carolina
Boat name: D560
Make: Avon
Length: 5m +
Engine: 2016 Merc 115hp CT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garnett View Post
I have a Viking 500 RIB The tubes appear in good condition but I deflates slowly. It has 6 Leafield B7 valves. My first thought was to replace the valve seals. I have noticed that 1 valve will deflate the entire RIB. Do they normally have internal baffles? Even so I would be surprised if there were 6! It was supposedly professionally repaired before purchase 2 months ago. It holds pressure for 36 hours or so but does not go right down.

The valve seal replacement is a pig to do as it is difficult to get pressure on the rear to control the valve. I noticed that there is already a ‘spare’ valve inside the tube when I tried to do the first two today! Getting the valves to reseat is not easy as you can’t get sufficient pressure behind it to allow tightening with the B7 Wrench. I think I may have put the valve from inside the tube back in as it has a damaged valve in it

Any advice appreciated
The baffles push on each other, so it is normal for the whole boat to deflate slightly if one chamber loses pressure.

However, being able to entirely deflate the boat through one valve is not normal. That signifies a complete and total failure of the internal baffle construction...bad design, bad glue, age, etc.
office888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 November 2016, 20:28   #4

Town: Chorley, Lancs
Length: no boat
The final tightening is easier with the tubes fully inflated as is the loosening to remove the valve.
As Office888 has said you will get some softening of the whole tube if you deflate one chamber but not complete deflation.
6 inflation valves normally indicates 6 chambers with a baffle between each.

Please check if the baffles are functioning as a rib with failed baffles presents a risk to yourself and passengers if you were to puncture/rip the tubes at sea.
Old 07 November 2016, 21:38   #5

Length: 7m +
I found advice on rib store very good for replacing valves/diaphragms - they give full picture and step by step guide. It's fiddly but can be done.

Tags
rib