Old 14 April 2005, 21:35   #1

Town: Oxford
Make: Ribtec, Ballistic, C
Engine: 40hp 4 strokes - twi
azores

not specificaly a rib question but I am off down the coast of france and spain then out to the azores. off in the next few weeks and back around August :-)

anyone any comments on the islands, places you must see? thing that must be done?

thanks
DGPW
Old 16 April 2005, 17:24   #2

Town: Ireland
Boat name: Ally Cat
Make: Several
Length: 6m +
Engine: Several
Acores !

Hi !

Stopped there while doing Trans Atlantic. The main port is Horta on the Island of Faial. All the really big stuff stops here for a few days R and R so it can be quite a party town / marina.

They are Portugese so the Euro is your man.

There are a few traditions ! All crews paint their boat's logo say 2 - 3 square feet on the harbour wall to mark the occasion of their visit so have you artwork ready.

Hire a jeep on Faial and head for the old light house which until the 50s was on a headland on the island. They then had a volcanic eruption and a small island rose up out of the seaward side of the lighthouse blocking the light house ! They then had to build another on the "new" island.

Just a few miles across from Horta is the Island of Pico which is a classical conical Volcanic Island. In clear weather you will see Pico for a day before you see the other Islands as you sail in - Very striking and well worth the climb to the top.

The must go pub in Horta is Peter's Bar named after an old Whaler. The Pub is now run by his son and is the official half way Pub and post office in the Atlantic. Buy a few coffee mugs there as they outlast all other souvenirs. I still have my first one fom 95 ! If yo post a letter to yourself before you go to dgpw, Boat name, Peters Bar, Horta, Azores. It will be waiting for you behind the bar !

Beaches are black and rocky ..very little sand which is also black. Temperature would be like Channel Islands..But I am used to traditional Trans Atlantic times of May and October.

Hope this helps !
Powerboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2005, 17:29   #3

Azores

Oh ! And of course go out whale watching!

Some of the best and closest large whale sightings that I have ever had have been off the Azores !...Like bumping the yacht !!!!!!!!!!
Old 17 April 2005, 13:17   #4

Azores

Just had a quick look for websites for you.

The official Azores Tourist Board website seems about as useful as an ashtray on a RIB.

Have a look at www.azores.dk . A private website by a Danish chap. While the site design might be a bit home made, I found it quite informative and the photos are quite good ! See the Faial page for pictures of the light house which now is block by a new hill and the harbour art work I mentioned earlier!

Brought back some happy memories of pre children days when I was allowed to head off for 4 or 5 weeks sailing !!
Old 18 April 2005, 08:04   #5

Town: Manchester - Abersoc
Boat name: MeMe
Make: SeaPro 595CC
Engine: Mercury 115 4S
Send a message via MSN to MeMe
Powerboat obviously........

...knows what he's talking about.

I've been there twice (Transats via Bermuda). Although we were only there for 24/36 hours before pressing on, the islands are a welcome site whichever way you're crossing.

The one thing I regret most and therefore the one tip I will pass on, whilst in Peters Bar (a must visit bar for all sailors) buy a couple or three of their t-shirts. They're a great brag tool when standing at the bar of the local Yacht Club where, donning on of Pete's Bar very nice logo sweat shirts really pi**es off the.........."I've never sailed out of sight of land, but I'm the best sailor in this Yacht Club" brigade
Old 18 April 2005, 15:53   #6

True about the tee shirts !! You can also be very posh and buy a "Club Navale de Horta" ( Horta Yacht Club) wind cheater ! Really winds up the Yotties in RKYC !! Pay back for calling Ally cat a Rubber Duck !

Clothes are great Mingies ( Irish Army word for souvenir !!) but after a year or so they fade and shrink .....or we grow !!

Hence my suggestion of the Peters Bar Coffe Mugs with the Sperm Whale logo !! Still going years later !

Maybe after all this friendly advice....and if we send over a couple of the Queen's Quidlets before he leaves... DGPW might bring or even mail back a few new Sweat Sirts and Tee Sirts to those of us qualified to wear them !

Stuart

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeMe
...knows what he's talking about.

The one thing I regret most and therefore the one tip I will pass on, whilst in Peters Bar (a must visit bar for all sailors) buy a couple or three of their t-shirts. They're a great brag tool when standing at the bar of the local Yacht Club where, donning on of Pete's Bar very nice logo sweat shirts really pi**es off the.........."I've never sailed out of sight of land, but I'm the best sailor in this Yacht Club" brigade