Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 08 June 2012, 08:34   #101

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
OK! That should bring a few more customers to your door.

I'll make this my last post on this topic too.
Old 08 June 2012, 08:40   #102

Town: Plymouth
Length: 6m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rum Runner

No!, the customer is not always right especially if they are so called experts and come on a public forum making slanderous comments about dodgy boats which they are not, and dodgy money handling process which is industry standard. I feel there is a need for understanding of the buying process to be put forward.
I am also not in the business of spending valuable time with customers who are so called experts that start pulling the boat to pieces within minutes to look good in front of there friends, especially given that boat was in better condition than advertised due to work carried out the week previous.
So if you would like to call me direct to discuss this any further or give me any expert business advice feel free to do so. If not this is the last I will say on the matter.
I was about to post something similar, although I'm not getting involved in this particular situation, on a general basis the customer is not always right. If we worked on that basis we'd end up bust! Sometimes they are wrong. It's just how you tell them that matters, I tend not to bother

If a "expert" genuine or not started picking holes in a boat I had on brokerage I'd walk myself and leave him to keep bumping his gums.

Peter @ Boatsandoutboards4sale ~ askboatsandoutboards4sale@sky.com ~ 07930 421007
Old 08 June 2012, 08:53   #103

Town: N Wales Chester
Boat name: Mr Smith
Make: Humber
Agreed customer isnt always right.

Until now I posted with no reference to you and the specific boat. I was enquiring re sales process.

You still haven't resolved this for me.

Btw I did not pull the boat to bits to impress and I
never purported to be experienced at purchasing boats, so your point is irrelevant. I merely found faults with a boat that I'm entitled to point out to my friend who asked my opinion.

The fact is it has been painted on the rear of the hull joining the transom. Not standard. I have since been told the boat was dropped on first launch off it's trailer when new, I can't verify this but it would explain the non standard paint.

The boats transom is too low for me personally and it looks nothing like what other Humber 5.5s do. The transom is lower than standard, it has been cut, granted fairly well, but it is not standard.

You knew we were coming and I think it is fair to expect to hear an engine run on inspection. Do we really need to request this. As you would a car or bike. A text or call to tell us you had no keys would have been courteous as a broker knowing our travel.

When i asked if there was any history You said specifically "no second hand boats, unless very expensive have any service history". I said that's not quite true, but you maintained your stance. It's an opinion but I think you are wrong and misleading to customers.

You said we needed to give you 10% to test the engine and we could not arrange our own independent "professional" test. I disagreed as I said I'd never give a deposit before getting an AA inspection on a car. Rudely you said its not a car and BMF and RYA rules state the process you follow. That is not true and is misleading.

I've remained factual in my posts so as a sales professional on a forum, I'd expect similar from you.

You acknowledged you had no keys and this was poor, but you haven't clarified your position re quoting the RYA or BMF.

As for being busy, it was 9.30 tuesday morning. No on else entered the shop or yard the hour or so we were there. The next door shops were also shut.

Others from here have mailed me re the boat, it's owner and the yard clarifying certain things. Funny how the post stating you're brilliant was their first post, a few minutes after you first posted.

This isn't "trip advisor".

Last post for me, bored now.
Old 08 June 2012, 09:02   #104

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rum Runner View Post
No!, the customer is not always right especially if they are so called experts and come on a public forum making slanderous comments about dodgy boats which they are not, and dodgy money handling process which is industry standard. I feel there is a need for understanding of the buying process to be put forward.
I am also not in the business of spending valuable time with customers who are so called experts that start pulling the boat to pieces within minutes to look good in front of there friends, especially given that boat was in better condition than advertised due to work carried out the week previous.
So if you would like to call me direct to discuss this any further or give me any expert business advice feel free to do so. If not this is the last I will say on the matter.
Me Grandad allus said, "ee lad when tha in an oyl, stop diggin"
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 June 2012, 09:04   #105

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
Sorry, one more post.

There are a very important couple of words some are missing in my first post:

It's not: "The customer is always right". But "The customer is always right *IN PUBLIC*".

All of us in business know that they are not always right but my point is don't slate them on a public forum. Remember this topic will always be on the internet available for all to see...

Just as an example - Google for 'big motoring world' - a large BMW dealer who I planned to visit for a purchase, the power of Google changed all that...
Old 08 June 2012, 10:18   #106

Town: Wakefield
Boat name: Bouncer
Make: Redbay Stormforce
Engine: 2x Honda 100 Hp
MMSI: 235025718
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max...
Sorry, one more post.

There are a very important couple of words some are missing in my first post:

It's not: "The customer is always right". But "The customer is always right *IN PUBLIC*".

All of us in business know that they are not always right but my point is don't slate them on a public forum. Remember this topic will always be on the internet available for all to see...

Just as an example - Google for 'big motoring world' - a large BMW dealer who I planned to visit for a purchase, the power of Google changed all that...
I was told the customer is always right it's up to you to prove them wrong but like you say not in public it's the sort of thing kids do on F B
Been doing my job for 35 y and I still get people telling me how to do it , but I take it on board as life is a big learning curve and when you know it all your to old to do it
Old 08 June 2012, 17:52   #107

Town: west mids /tywyn
Boat name: HAWK
Make: RIBCRAFT/ Suzuki 250
Length: 7m +
Engine: Tohatsu 3.8/15hpsuzi
MMSI: 235086594
Quote:
Originally Posted by captnjack

Maybe instead of sounding so defensive you could either: shut up, or listen to how you not only lost a buyer but got slammed on the internets too...
1 buyer so what .. I don't blame him for defending his business if he feels he should fair play to him.
B.S. LEADER
tony t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 June 2012, 18:04   #108

Town: Seattle
Boat name: Water Dog
Make: Polaris
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yamaha 60hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony t View Post
1 buyer so what .. I don't blame him for defending his business if he feels he should fair play to him.
Cause he just looks like an arse in public, regardless of how "right" he may or may not be.

If you look back at the beginning of the thread I actually (in part) defended the seller/broker's expectation of getting an offer and 10% deposit before more extensive examination of a boat is done, either mechanically or in a sea trial. And that the example brokerage forms posted seemed fair and if anything favored the buyer to me.

Since that time the broker has gone on to puff up his chest and act like a jerk, first claiming to not know much about RIBs and then out experting Humber's friend. Its unprofessional and in this country I would be sending this thread to the broker's association as an example of unprofessional conduct.
Old 08 June 2012, 18:47   #109

Town: Surrey
Boat name: Fugly & Rokraider 1
Make: Pac 22 & Porter 6.5
Engine: Ford 250 & jet,DT140
Quote:
Originally Posted by captnjack View Post
Cause he just looks like an arse in public, regardless of how "right" he may or may not be.

If you look back at the beginning of the thread I actually (in part) defended the seller/broker's expectation of getting an offer and 10% deposit before more extensive examination of a boat is done, either mechanically or in a sea trial. And that the example brokerage forms posted seemed fair and if anything favored the buyer to me.

Since that time the broker has gone on to puff up his chest and act like a jerk, first claiming to not know much about RIBs and then out experting Humber's friend. Its unprofessional and in this country I would be sending this thread to the broker's association as an example of unprofessional conduct.
I think this thread is getting out of hand personally. Fragile egos and public forums don't work well together.
Old 08 June 2012, 18:54   #110

Town: Plymouth
I think the OP and the Broker have conducted themselves respectfully. It's us lot that have made it a circus jumping on each statement.

Both have put their opinion over and clearly no agreement will be reached on a deal for the boat so maybe it's time for this to be locked off or something ?

Peter @ Boatsandoutboards4sale ~ askboatsandoutboards4sale@sky.com ~ 07930 421007
Old 08 June 2012, 19:33   #111

Town: N Wales Chester
Boat name: Mr Smith
Make: Humber
Fine by me. We all have lives to lead and boating to undertake if time permits!
Old 08 June 2012, 21:54   #112

Town: LONDON
Make: SR4/ZODIAC/3D
Engine: 30T/40T
I have read both party's threads and all other's opinions.
Now I offer mine.
I do believe that the broker was not indulging the buyer.
I believe that the broker was protecting his sale.
The broker was wrong in the way the product for sale was presented.
The customer was right in voicing his views and was also right in his requests for tests.
I believe the broker was wrong in not offering gratis testing.
As a buyer I'd walk away.
As a broker I'd protect my reputation and be transparent.
Potential customer 1......Broker 0
The issue is that it's public
Old 08 June 2012, 21:56   #113

Imagine if it was a Defender?!?!?
And also I reckon a ropey 3M SIB should be sold with the same enthusiasm and respect as a 2 million Sunseeker.
Old 08 June 2012, 22:12   #114

Town: west mids /tywyn
Boat name: HAWK
Make: RIBCRAFT/ Suzuki 250
Engine: Tohatsu 3.8/15hpsuzi
MMSI: 235086594
Quote:
Originally Posted by mister p View Post
And also I reckon a ropey 3M SIB should be sold with the same enthusiasm and respect as a 2 million Sunseeker.
where have you been for the last few months....looking to buy a second hand defender
B.S. LEADER
tony t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 June 2012, 22:44   #115

Understood, have been offline, it's what war does. Don't expect any advantageous outcomes.
Old 08 June 2012, 22:45   #116

Flattered that you noticed actually.
Old 09 June 2012, 08:29   #117

Town: Wirral & Caernarfon
Boat name: That's Enuff
Make: Revenger & Avon SR4
Engine: Honda 150HP & 50HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by mister p View Post
a defender, now i'm interested, who's selling what never met a straight car salesman yet, especially our local landrover dealer, right dodgy lot
Old 09 June 2012, 08:46   #118

Town: Zummerset
Boat name: irven arlyss
Make: Humber Oceanpro
Engine: evinrude 135hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Caton View Post
a defender, now i'm interested, who's selling what never met a straight car salesman yet, especially our local landrover dealer, right dodgy lot
Yep you can buy mine as long as you pay 10% before i turn the engine over, and pay in full before you test drive it!

If you dont like it, well then you are just WRONG!!
Old 09 June 2012, 08:52   #119

Town: Wirral & Caernarfon
Boat name: That's Enuff
Make: Revenger & Avon SR4
Engine: Honda 150HP & 50HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonto View Post
Yep you can buy mine as long as you pay 10% before i turn the engine over, and pay in full before you test drive it!

If you dont like it, well then you are just WRONG!!
no probs, why would i even expect the engine to turn over anyway, it's a landrover
Old 09 June 2012, 09:02   #120

Town: Zummerset
Boat name: irven arlyss
Make: Humber Oceanpro
Engine: evinrude 135hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Caton View Post
no probs, why would i even expect the engine to turn over anyway, it's a landrover
And dont you know, that no used cars come with any service history????

Now you have hurt my cars feelings! it is sulking!