Old 27 April 2014, 19:08   #1

Length: 4m +
Avon sr4 advice

Hey guys could a sr4 take a Honda bf50???? If it does I'm gunna join the sr band wagon
Old 27 April 2014, 19:17   #2

Town: Thornbury
Make: Avon Searider 4m
Engine: 50hp tohatsu tldi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam the ribber View Post
Hey guys could a sr4 take a Honda bf50???? If it does I'm gunna join the sr band wagon
plenty of people have them and they are fine for the searider

To name a couple people you can search:

Chris Caton
Mollers
Chris.moody
Old 27 April 2014, 19:24   #3

Thank you! Looks like I'm on the hunt for a sr4!!
Old 27 April 2014, 19:27   #4

Quote:
Thank you! Looks like I'm on the hunt for a sr4!!
There is a nice one on ebay nice and original but obviously you would either have to negotiate to buy it without the engine or sell the engine on.

SR4.0 AVON SEARIDER RIB BOAT, MERCURY 50HP OUTBOARD, ROAD TRAILER. READY TO USE | eBay
Old 27 April 2014, 20:06   #5

That is a top notch boat! But it's in the isle of white?? Will have to weight around for one alittle closer to home
Old 27 April 2014, 20:18   #6

Town: Wirral & Caernarfon
Boat name: That's Enuff
Make: Revenger & Avon SR4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Honda 150HP & 50HP
as Henry said, Honda 50 fits just nice
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	112.8 KB
ID:	93909  
Old 27 April 2014, 21:25   #7

Great looking set up there! How does it feel when the chop picks up? Is it alittle stern heavy?
Old 28 April 2014, 06:01   #8

no idea, not finished yet but will be soon, Chris Moody has the same setup on his SR4 and seems very pleased
Old 28 April 2014, 06:37   #9

Quote:
That is a top notch boat! But it's in the isle of white?? Will have to weight around for one alittle closer to home
you dont find many 2003 4 meter seariders! That's a little jem. Maybe it's worth the trip
Old 28 April 2014, 06:45   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by henryfreston View Post
you dont find many 2003 4 meter seariders! That's a little jem. Maybe it's worth the trip
+1
Old 28 April 2014, 06:52   #11

Just looking through the pictures of it and pic 1 shows a dip in the transom, has it been modified or are the later ones like this
Old 28 April 2014, 07:20   #12

Town: Bristol
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha
Quote:
There is a nice one on ebay nice and original but obviously you would either have to negotiate to buy it without the engine or sell the engine on.

SR4.0 AVON SEARIDER RIB BOAT, MERCURY 50HP OUTBOARD, ROAD TRAILER. READY TO USE | eBay
Its not nice at all. the sea water has impregnated the Gel coat and made it all go a bluey green colour,, the engine is totally scratched and would require a complete respray. the trailer is shot and lots of rust on the engine.
the original owner would take 2750 last year but this guy has just bought it and wacked it out for 3500.
Old 28 April 2014, 07:25   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt h View Post
Its not nice at all. the sea water has impregnated the Gel coat and made it all go a bluey green colour,, the engine is totally scratched and would require a complete respray. the trailer is shot and lots of rust on the engine.
the original owner would take 2750 last year but this guy has just bought it and wacked it out for 3500.
my bad

suppose that explains why there is a complete lack of photos of the hull and close up of the engine.
Old 28 April 2014, 08:40   #14

Town: Daventry & Beaulieu
Boat name: Tigga2
Make: Ribcraft 4.8
Engine: Honda BF50
MMSI: 235900806
RIBase
The bf50 is great on my SR4. Currently achieving 31.2kts WOT with a 14 inch pitch prop, but its under propped with a 14. Waiting for a 15 inch pitch to be delivered for testing to see how that affect WOT speed and hole shot.

Trim is fine with the bf50 but I do keep an anchor, chain, and spare fuel tank in the bow to help get some weight forward.

It is quieter, uses half the fuel, WOT speed similar, and hole shot maybe slightly slower but not enough to be really noticeable. I think the BF50 is perfect for the SR4.
chris.moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2014, 17:57   #15

Quote:
Quote:

Hi Matt,
I am guessing you are the Matt I spoke to on the phone a few days ago.

Despite the fact that you (helicoptermanr22) offered me £2750, I was surprised that you seemed to think you knew more about this boat than I do.
I guess you visited it in Poole when it was for sale last summer?

I appreciate that you are entitled to an opinion, but I don’t really think that your post is a fair description of my boat.

I would say that it certainly is a nice boat, it is one of the later examples of 4m seariders, and the tubes are in very good condition. The deck / transom are as solid as the day the boat left the factory. The engine is a good fit, and runs very well.
I have enjoyed many days afloat over the last year, and will continue to do so until it sells. I have my reasons for selling, which I won’t go into, but it’s certainly not due to any issue with the rib.

I agree the hull has staining where it was in the water - this does not bother me, but its worth remembering that it is a 10+ year old boat.

Yes, the engine is scratched, and has several marks from being used. I don’t know where the 'lots of rust' are on it though? It runs perfectly and I have never had an issue with it - surely this matters more than some scratches?

The trailer has had new suspension units and bearings fitted since I bought it, and I have coated any rust spots with cold galvanizing paint - its a trailer, as long as it fits the boat and is safe to tow, (which it does and is) I don’t see the problem.

I would say if you want a solid and reliable 4m searider this is one of the best examples available. If some staining to the hull, and scratches on the engine are of massive significance to you, than it’s probably not right for you.

Bearing in mind the price I paid, and the work I have done, I don’t think what I am asking is unreasonable. How much would a brand new set up cost now?

As for people buying things and then selling them on, I wouldn’t like to make a return comment.....

Anyway, I have been reading the forum for a while but not felt the need to post before now, so here I am. I will probably go back to just reading after this, but I felt a need to respond to Matt’s comments, as hopefully some of you may understand.

Thanks
Nick.
Old 28 April 2014, 19:10   #16

Thanks for all the help guys does anyone know about the ribcraft 4.2? I heard it was designed my the same guy who made the sea rider hull?
Old 28 April 2014, 19:23   #17

Quote:
Thanks for all the help guys does anyone know about the ribcraft 4.2? I heard it was designed my the same guy who made the sea rider hull?
I think the problem is- It's not a Searider

Can't really beat them especially the value for money. If your looking for a newer one then why not just buy one off the new zodiac searider range or if they're too expensive wait around a year or two until a couple start come up second hand. That or wait until a really nice second hand avon searider. There are probably a few gems lying out there still in the cling film

Have a look through chris caton's refurbish thread. His looks basically new and he built it with a new engine for considerably less than what a new one would be and he could finish it to exactly how he wanted it. So there's another thing to consider?
Old 28 April 2014, 20:15   #18

Quote:
I think the problem is- It's not a Searider

Can't really beat them especially the value for money. If your looking for a newer one then why not just buy one off the new zodiac searider range or if they're too expensive wait around a year or two until a couple start come up second hand. That or wait until a really nice second hand avon searider. There are probably a few gems lying out there still in the cling film

Have a look through chris caton's refurbish thread. His looks basically new and he built it with a new engine for considerably less than what a new one would be and he could finish it to exactly how he wanted it. So there's another thing to consider?
not sure about the considerably less bit but I would agree that going down the route of a rebuild does give you the option of your own finish rather than the finish a builder thinks you want
Old 29 April 2014, 13:42   #19

Town: Bristol
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha
Hi Nick Please see my responses below

Quote:
the tubes are in very good condition. The deck / transom are as solid as the day the boat left the factory. The engine is a good fit, and runs very well.
Yes you are right, the deck tubes and transom are all perfect but the battery was flat or very low at the time when i got to it so have no idea ref engine running. probably is fine.

Quote:
but I don’t really think that your post is a fair description of my boat
Its a very honest description of when i saw the boat..Our standards are clearly very different. the visual issues haven't been mentioned and im guessing not attended too.

Quote:
I agree the hull has staining where it was in the water
Best thing is to put that in your ad now so that people travelling a long way don't have a issue.
Nick Even your current ad says it will Polish out....
Nick..the sea water has impregnated the Gel coat and re acted with it and all along the waterline in Bluey Green staining as has been left on a mooring too long with no protection.
When I originally came down to Poole last year this was denied to me that there was staining at all.

Incredibly enough both the staining and the maze of outboard scratches were totally denied as this is something that is not being mentioned again by yourself either.
It looks like the outboard has been sprayed with a can and then re scratched again.again not mentioned which should be.

Quote:
The trailer has had new suspension units and bearings fitted since I bought it, and I have coated any rust spots with cold galvanizing paint - its a trailer, as long as it fits the boat and is safe to tow, (which it does and is) I don’t see the problem.
As long as its roadworthy then that bit is sorted
But I'm glad that you have replaced the whole lot.

Quote:
this is one of the best examples available. If some staining to the hull, and scratches on the engine are of massive significance to you, than it’s probably not right for you.
Clearly have different standards

Nick. you have a lovely make of boat that needs a fair amount of work. Being what it is you should have sold it by now.If all the things that havent been mentioned were non existent then i would give you £3500.00.

Price it correctly in its current condition ,Advertise it correctly and it will sell or someone will make it into a lovely craft as it originally was and looked.
Old 29 April 2014, 14:19   #20

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
Interesting as this is ...I have a fundamental question about this SR4...

WHY has the tranom been notched down?

On a normal rigged SR4 with a longshaft engine its just not needed ...