Click Here to Login

Old 20 February 2004, 11:15   #1

Town: Dublin
Boat name: ?
Make: Avon SeaRider
Length: 5.4
Engine: Mariner 115
Avon Searider 5 .4 manufacture dates

I am looking at a Searider 5.4 next week with a view to a possible purchasse. It will be my first boat so I'm on a steep learing curve at the moment. I was just wondering how to tell the date of manufacture for the boat as the seller tells me it is a 1996 boat (is there a plate on all boats if so where to look). Does anyone know what dates the Searider was manufactured from /to ?

Also the seller tells me that a1996 Mariner 115 - 2 stroke is fitted with same date. I know this exceeds the recommended load limit and could cause problems so any advice as to what tell tale signs of damage to look out for would be much appreciated.

Another point, the boat is fitted with centre console and no seating...Is it difficult / expensive to fit seating. Any recomendations on sourcing and fitting would also be appreciated.

Daithi
Dublin
Old 20 February 2004, 11:55   #2

Town: Whitstable
Boat name: Tango
Make: Avon and Narwhal2.4m
Length: 4m +
Engine: 60HP Yamaha
Hi daithi and welcome to the forum

Congrats on your choice of boat seariders are well praised and respected within the ribbing community and as a first boat i cant see you'd be going far to wrong buying a searider.

Quite correctly there is a small plate with a number on at the back of the transom, this has some numbers on it and the last 2 refer to the year of manufacture, this applies to the hull only as the engine will have probably been changed at some point during its life.
If I’m correct the 5.4 is only rated up to a maximum weight/hp of 90 (may be wrong others here will be able to confirm this) if the engine is over sized and outside of the manufacturers specification then you have a few things to consider, is the transom strong enough to take the loadings, will the boat handle correctly at WOT, seariders have a tendency to chine walk and especially if the engine is over sized, and thirdly will you be able to get the boat insured correctly, we all know insurance companies will do anything not to have to pay out when you make a claim, also if you choose to go to sea without insurance and do have an accident then you could be hit with a massive repair bill not only for your boat but someone else’s.

The engine age can be checked by taking note of the serial number and logging onto the manufacturer’s website, (again others here will be more help with this).

Seats tend to be very expensive unless you can source these second-hand from somewhere, as a rough estimate you could look to pay anything from £150 up to £500 for a single jockey seat depending where you shop.

When you check the boat look for stress in the joints and the transom, a good way is to lower the engine then get a good hold of it and see if you can shove it upwards, if the transom flexes it could be because water as got inside it and rotted away the marine ply, also look for stress cracks in the gel coat on the inside and outside of the transom as these tend to give away potential problems, check the tubes for wear and have a really good look over the entire length of the hull..... Essentially seariders were designed to be used and stand up to harsh conditions at sea and at the end of the day most things on the hull, tubes and engine can be fixed if you’re willing to invest the money and time in it..... Good luck and happy hunting.

R
Old 20 February 2004, 12:12   #3

Thanks for that Bilge Rat.... Can you explain the Chine walking thing... I will take the boat out on the water for a test drive (obviously) what are the symptoms of chine walking.....Also does anyone know the dates of manufacture i.e. when did Avon start making these ribs and when did they discontinue..

Daithi
Dublin
Old 20 February 2004, 13:26   #4

Town: Whitstable
Boat name: Tango
Make: Avon and Narwhal2.4m
Length: 4m +
Engine: 60HP Yamaha
You can still buy seariders now as i know of at least one new searider user on the forum (Phil D) not sure when they started to make them though.

Take a look at the thread attached as it gives a very good explaination of chine walking. Do a search on the forum and sea what others do to compensate this.

http://rib.net/forum/showthrea...ight=chine+walk

R
Old 20 February 2004, 15:19   #5

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Daithi, the 115 hp 2 stroke wasn't the best engine they ever built. Early ones ran on a 2+2 system were at below 1800 rpm they only fire on 2 cylinders. Above this the run on all four. the idea was to save petrol. but a 2 stoke will suck in fuel/air mix when its not firing anyway so really a bit of a gimick. Some where converted by Martin Stitt the Larne (Co Antrim) Mercury Dealer to run on all four permanently. I think later 115s ran on all 4 cylinders all the time anyway.

I agree with Bilge Rat, its a huge engine for the little Avon. Don't pay over the top for it and if the handling is scary think about changing it for something smaller. A 90 hp would be nice. The RN fit 75 or 90 hp Mariners to these boats as standard.

Pete
Old 20 February 2004, 15:44   #6

Pete,

The total price for package engine, rib, trailer will be close to 7500 euro. I am worried about the engine size though I suppose I should wait and see how it goes and how it looks.
Old 20 February 2004, 17:48   #7

Town: Margate / Ramsgate
Boat name: Bumbl
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: Yanmar diesel
I think david manning had one with a Yamaha 115 on it, thats 167kg if my memory serves me correctly... but i also think he re-inforced the transom to acheive this.

From what i remember handling wise it was OK. Havent got time to do it for you but searching the forums will reveal loads of info and pics of this boat, or he'll reply in due course when he sees this.

Can't really add anythhing else not already said, but i have a single jockey seat i'll probabbly sell soon, not sure now much yet, it's blue though.
Old 20 February 2004, 20:33   #8

Boat name: wizzard
Make: REDBAY
Length: 7m +
Engine: 225 optimax
Dublin

Hi and where in Dublin will you test the rib,, as far as I know the first 2 nos of the serial no on the Avon are the year, the year is also printed on the plate on the merc. we are in Dublin if can offer any help or whatever cheers gavin

WHEN THE CAT IS AWAY THE MICE GO TO REDBAY..............
gavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2004, 20:38   #9

Town: Tampere
Make: Atlantic 21, Avon SR4.0
Length: 6,9 m
Engine: Mercury F60 EFI x2
Oversize engine

115 hp really far too mych power so SR 5.4. We have repaired couple of Seariders that have been used with 90 hp engines. Transom is not very strong construction, so I'm sure it will break off if you drive in rough sea with SR 5.4. Also, the whole hull will get extra load and won't last more than couple seasons if you tend to give stick to your boat with 115 hp. 90 hp is absolute max, 70 hp probably the best power if the boat is not used as a carrier with heavy loads.

Anyway, SR 5.4 is not the worst boat at all, but there were surprisingly notable variations with hull material thickness when we disassembled the boat and repaired it after damages. Therefore, I'd suggest not to overpower any SRs if long life is preferred.
Old 21 February 2004, 08:39   #10

Gavin,

Thanks for the offer of help. The rib is located outside Dublin so I will have to travel to view and test. I live near Howth so I will probable launch from there. I will let you know how the deal goes.

Daithi
Old 21 February 2004, 08:42   #11

Daniel,

If I get the rib i will certainly be in the market, can you post a pic please. Can you respray those things easily ?

Daithi