Old 04 September 2003, 13:00   #1

Town: Wickford, Essex
Boat name: Seahorse V
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4
Engine: Mercury 50HP
Avon Searider 4m with 50HP Mercury

Hi All,

I have recently purchased my RIB ( an Avon 4m with a 50hp Mercury ). Havn't had chance to use it much yet because it was a fairly old RIB and I needed to do some work on it which is nearly finished.

I would appreciate any comments you may have on this make of RIB such as how it handles in rougher sees, what is the maximum whether conditions ( force 4/5/6 etc ) you would take it out in.

Are there any known common problems that affect this type of RIB, Common manufacturing defects etc etc. The RIB is late 1980s early 90s with the engine being mid-1985. I have had the engine rebuilt with nearly all the major upper components being new. The hull and tubes were in very good condition ( although the hull had a lot of scratches on it ). I now just need to work on the trailer so by next weekend I should be able to use it to it's full potential.

Being that Winter and the bad whether will be upon us before we know it I was just wondering what the limit of this RIB is.

Many thanks in advance.
Old 04 September 2003, 14:19   #2

Town: Chelmsford/Anglesey
Make: Avon SR/RibLite 3.1m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda 30hp/Yam 8hp
You've got what is effectively the most seaworthy rib in its size class and that's not just me being biased! Your limits will be reached a long way before those of the boat and Avon told me they've tested the 4.0m Searider in just about everything up to a Force 6. Obviously it slams and bounces more than the longer ribs in a chop, but it's still a great handling boat for its size. I've just watched the new video on the Round Britain Challenge (RB4) in 4.0 metre ribs and I think you'll be stunned at what this size of rib will cope with.

A lot of guys on the forum started with this boat and anyone who's owned one seems to hold it in considerable affection. The deep-V hull is what makes it so good in rough weather, although the fact that's it's water ballasted means it's slower than conventional hulls onto the plane. This is considered by some as a disadvantage,although you can put bungs in the inlet holes if it causes you a problem. I haven't bothered with mine because I like the extra stability afforded by it. Glad to see you've got a 50hp on it - I'm about to change my 30 for the very same because it just doesn't have quite enough oomph.

Coincidentally I see you live about 10 miles from me so if you want to get together for some blasts on the Essex/Suffolk coast send me a PM. Enjoy the boat, I certainly do!
Old 04 September 2003, 14:19   #3

Town: Whitstable
Boat name: Tango
Make: Avon and Narwhal2.4m
Engine: 60HP Yamaha
Hi slangley

I have a 4.7 metre Avon Searider with a 50HP engine on the back and find the boat handles pretty well in fairly rough conditions, ok so its a fairly wet and wild ride but so far its been ok, think the boat driven correctly with a good helmsman will practically go anywhere within reason but really the problem is the crew and what level of discomfort your willing to put up with, have to remember 4.8 metre boats went around Britain last year.
Avon make extremely good strong boats and are renound for there sea keeping abilities.

Hope you get your repairs done and get her out for a spin soon.

Richard
Old 04 September 2003, 14:23   #4

Phil / Slangley

You guys are just the other side of the Estuary from me, i'd be happy to arrange a meet some time with you and we can all go for a spin somewhere in convoy, might be neat having an Avon group gathering sometime plus of course going out as a group always means more safety.

Richard
Old 04 September 2003, 14:47   #5

Town: Chelmsford/Anglesey
Make: Avon SR/RibLite 3.1m
Engine: Honda 30hp/Yam 8hp
Team Searider!!

Bilge Rat

Excellent suggestion, I'm definitely up for that. Perhaps you could pm me your details. I'll be in Austria for the next two weeks with work, but I'll catch up with you as soon as I return to organise an outing or three! I was only saying to someone last night how much more fun ribbing is when there's a few of you out. I might ring Avon to organise some sponsorship!!
Old 04 September 2003, 14:52   #6

Phil

Thats a great idea i'll PM you direct with my mobile and home numbers, a few weeks sounds great to as my engines in for fixing at the moment :-(

Richard
Old 04 September 2003, 14:53   #7

Town: Wickford, Essex
Boat name: Seahorse V
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4
Engine: Mercury 50HP
I would definitely like to meet up. It is always good to learn from more experienced RIBers like yourselves. I bought the RIB because I am a diving instructor and was always going out / driving the club RIB which is considerably bigger and more powerfull ( I think it is a Humber 6 or 7 metre with a 200HP engine on ).

I needed to get a fairly small RIB because it has to go in the garage and this fits perfectly. The ballast holes had already been sealed off when I got it. I intend to use it to take the family out and for occassional diving with a couple of friends at the most.

I have magaed to get it on the water twice but due to problems with the engine ( turned out to be the Stator ) I twice ended up getting towed back in.

Just when I thought I had fixed it all, I decided to take it to Southend on Saturday to give it a try to be greeted by a suspension unit snapping on the trailer on the way there and having to be taken home by the AA. I have decided to replace the whole suspension both sides ( including HUBS, bearings and wheels etc ). The parts for this arrived this morning which I hope will fit. If all goes well I should have it all completed by the end of the weekend, although the old suspension unit is all bent up and is proving a pain to remove because it is covering up the nuts underneath. Luckily, none of the chassis was damaged.

I seem to have problems getting spares for this trailer and a lot of the trailer places say they refuse to deal with SNIPE anymore. Eventually I measured up the suspension unit as best as I could and orderd it all from www.trailerpartswarehouse.co.uk which I hope will fit.
Old 04 September 2003, 15:06   #8

Town: Aberystwyth
Boat name: Undecided
Make: Undecided
Length: Undecided
Engine: Undecided
Avon Seariders are top notch boats, never heard a bad work spoken about them. Well I have actually, but that wasn't really the fault of the boat. My uncle once had a 4m Searider, which he once took to Wales for a weekend of diving. The dive club also took the club RIB, so there were the 2 boats out. Anyway, this was in the days of rubber drysuits. So, once the 2 boats were in the water, my uncle was leaning over the tubes to grab the painter, his weight went a bit too far forward, and with there being very little friction between the tubes and the rubber drysuit, in he went. Ended up inverted in the water, with his dive kit in the boat. Everyone else, obviously, found it hilarious.

Several people at the dive club have Seariders of their own, as I've said my uncle used to own one, a fair few people on here habe Seariders or have owned them in the past. Spent most of the first NW Ribsters cruise on Ian's Searider, and absolutely loved it.

Infact, if I can find one within my price range (quite likely at the prices they seem to go for 2nd hand), I intend to get one once I'm working down in Wales.

Matt