Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 22 September 2010, 14:35   #1
NSS
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Length: no boat
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 519
Avon Adventure v Brig v Ribtec

Am looking to upgrade to a slightly larger RIB than my current Avon. After going back for a second visit to Southampton Boatshow at the weekend (for a closer look at a number of RIBs I'd looked at the previous weekend), and after much trawling of the 'net, I've narrowed my 'possibles' list down to a shortlist of three - Avon Adventure 470, Brig Falcon 450 or the Ribtec 455.

However, though the Ribtec 455 is still listed on the Ribeye/Ribtec site, the only indication of prices I've been able to find is a 2008 price list on Falmouthribeye.co.uk

Does anyone know whether the 455 is still made?

Also, would appreciate your opinions on the relative merits of each of these boats. Will be used purely for leisure on and around the Solent.

Cheers!
__________________

__________________
NSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2010, 14:42   #2
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 6,298
I anticipate you'll get some replies asking why you haven't considered other manufacturers.

So, why not a 4.8 Ribcraft?
__________________

__________________
Downhilldai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2010, 14:42   #3
RIBnet supporter
 
C2 RIBS's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Hants
Boat name: Gemineye
Make: Ribeye S850 charter
Length: 8m +
Engine: 300hp
MMSI: 235097445
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 3,029
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSS View Post

However, though the Ribtec 455 is still listed on the Ribeye/Ribtec site, the only indication of prices I've been able to find is a 2008 price list on Falmouthribeye.co.uk

Does anyone know whether the 455 is still made?

Also, would appreciate your opinions on the relative merits of each of these boats. Will be used purely for leisure on and around the Solent.

Cheers!
This is I believe the link you refer to http://www.ribeye.co.uk/ribtec-classics.html
and I am aware the prices can be obtained direct from their offices in Dartmouth.
I would suggest a call to the sales director John Wood to discuss prices available. Having been with them at the show I know the options for you were still available. Happy for you to mention I sent you

I use a 585 Ribtec with 100hp and it works very well on The Solent. The Ribtec brand is manufactured under Ribeye now after they took over from the Hamble based operations for Ribtec. I am sure a few on here were involved and can tell you more about the brand.
__________________
Ian
Rib charter and Rib hire with www.c2ribs.co.uk
C2 RIBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2010, 14:46   #4
NSS
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Length: no boat
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 519
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downhilldai View Post
I anticipate you'll get some replies asking why you haven't considered other manufacturers.

So, why not a 4.8 Ribcraft?
As I said, I've narrowed down to this shortlist after looking at many manufacturers. A major limiting factor is the need to get the RIB in my garage, which means a beam limit of 2.1m and a length limit of 4.7m (absolute max), so the Ribcraft is a no go.
__________________
NSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2010, 14:50   #5
NSS
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Length: no boat
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 519
Quote:
Originally Posted by C2 RIBS View Post
This is I believe the link you refer to http://www.ribeye.co.uk/ribtec-classics.html
and I am aware the prices can be obtained direct from their offices in Dartmouth.
I would suggest a call to the sales director John Wood to discuss prices available. Having been with them at the show I know the options for you were still available. Happy for you to mention I sent you

I use a 585 Ribtec with 100hp and it works very well on The Solent. The Ribtec brand is manufactured under Ribeye now after they took over from the Hamble based operations for Ribtec. I am sure a few on here were involved and can tell you more about the brand.
Hi C2, yep, that's the link I've been looking at. Didn't realise Ribtec was originally a Hamble based operation (I'm fairly new to Ribbing) but that actually makes it even more attractive. Do you know if the Ribeye built ones use the original moulds (I'm assuming yes given the 'classic' branding).

I'll give John Wood a call and will be sure to mention your name, cheers.
__________________
NSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2010, 14:51   #6
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 6,298
I doubt you'll get an opinion yet on the 470 Adventure. Have any been sold?
__________________
Downhilldai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2010, 14:57   #7
RIBnet supporter
 
C2 RIBS's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Hants
Boat name: Gemineye
Make: Ribeye S850 charter
Length: 8m +
Engine: 300hp
MMSI: 235097445
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 3,029
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSS View Post
Hi C2, yep, that's the link I've been looking at. Didn't realise Ribtec was originally a Hamble based operation (I'm fairly new to Ribbing) but that actually makes it even more attractive. Do you know if the Ribeye built ones use the original moulds (I'm assuming yes given the 'classic' branding).

.
I hope maybe biffer on forum may be able to answer about moulds , but also ask Ribeye as I dont know this.
__________________
Ian
Rib charter and Rib hire with www.c2ribs.co.uk
C2 RIBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2010, 14:57   #8
NSS
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Length: no boat
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 519
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downhilldai View Post
I doubt you'll get an opinion yet on the 470 Adventure. Have any been sold?
Didn't realise it was that new. To be honest though, the Avon is probably the least likely of the three as the length will mean having a shorter drawbar than I'd prefer (or putting a catflap in the garage door!).
__________________
NSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2010, 14:58   #9
NSS
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Length: no boat
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 519
Quote:
Originally Posted by C2 RIBS View Post
I hope maybe biffer on forum may be able to answer about moulds , but also ask Ribeye as I dont know this.
Okay, many thanks.
__________________
NSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2010, 15:01   #10
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 6,298
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSS View Post
Didn't realise it was that new. To be honest though, the Avon is probably the least likely of the three as the length will mean having a shorter drawbar than I'd prefer (or putting a catflap in the garage door!).
When it comes to length, I'd go for boat over drawbar every time
__________________
Downhilldai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2010, 15:09   #11
NSS
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Length: no boat
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 519
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downhilldai View Post
When it comes to length, I'd go for boat over drawbar every time
Don't get me wrong, I'd have an 8m job if I could store it (oh, and if I had the money of course), but the Ribcraft is also right on the beam limit at 2.1 and I'd prefer not to have to partially deflate the tubes to avoid scraping it through the garage doorway.
__________________
NSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2010, 15:12   #12
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 6,298
Sounds like you need a bigger garage




or a good boat cover

__________________
Downhilldai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2010, 15:56   #13
RIBnet admin team
 
Poly's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 11,046
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downhilldai View Post

or a good boat cover

I'm always surprised how many people limit their boat by needing to fit it in the garage: I realise storage is an expense / security headache etc but shopping around you can actually find some surprisingly affordable storage without the length/width restrictions you get with a domestic garage.
__________________
Poly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2010, 16:19   #14
NSS
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Length: no boat
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 519
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
I'm always surprised how many people limit their boat by needing to fit it in the garage: I realise storage is an expense / security headache etc but shopping around you can actually find some surprisingly affordable storage without the length/width restrictions you get with a domestic garage.
That may be the case in some areas, but I live close to the Hamble River. One friend pays around 3k a year to moor his RIB on the upper reaches of the Hamble and then has over 30 minutes at the 6 knot limit just to get out to Southampton Water. Another pays 2.5k for six months in a dry stack. Not only would I prefer not to incur such charges (and spend the money on a better RIB than I might otherwise be able to afford), but I plan to fit out the new RIB myself (as I did with my current one) and it's a lot more convenient to do that in my own garage than in some storage shed or field.
__________________
NSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2010, 18:10   #15
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 6,298
What about moving house?
__________________
Downhilldai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2010, 01:19   #16
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 8,869
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downhilldai View Post
What about moving house?
You can rent a county with water frontage in South Wales for 3 grand a year.
__________________
Mollers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2010, 02:46   #17
NSS
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Length: no boat
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 519
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downhilldai View Post
What about moving house?
Okay Dai, you win, I'll move.

That Celtic Manor looks like a half decent gaff. Mind you, my brief reckons I'll have to wait to get in as there's a load of johnny foreigners using the garden next month.
__________________
NSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2010, 11:15   #18
NSS
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Length: no boat
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 519
Quote:
Originally Posted by C2 RIBS View Post
This is I believe the link you refer to http://www.ribeye.co.uk/ribtec-classics.html
and I am aware the prices can be obtained direct from their offices in Dartmouth.
I would suggest a call to the sales director John Wood to discuss prices available. Having been with them at the show I know the options for you were still available. Happy for you to mention I sent you

I use a 585 Ribtec with 100hp and it works very well on The Solent. The Ribtec brand is manufactured under Ribeye now after they took over from the Hamble based operations for Ribtec. I am sure a few on here were involved and can tell you more about the brand.
Hi Ian

I spoke to John today and he's going to send me some options and prices. Mentioned that you pointed me in his direction and he was much obliged. Eagerly awaiting his email now as, if the price is right, I thing the Ribtec is going to be my preferred option.

Cheers, NSS
__________________
NSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2010, 11:15   #19
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 6,298
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollers View Post
You can rent a county with water frontage in South Wales for 3 grand a year.
No garage though......
__________________
Downhilldai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2010, 11:17   #20
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 6,298
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSS View Post
...there's a load of johnny foreigners using the garden next month.
Yes, a load of blokes who get paid far too much for hitting a ball around a field with a stick
__________________

__________________
Downhilldai is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 20:21.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.