Old 11 July 2016, 09:18   #1

Town: Basingstoke
Length: 6m +
Avon adventure 620 advice

Hi, I am new back into the world of RIBs after taking a break to enjoy two wheels.

I have started to look at Avon Adventures on the market and have seen a 6.2m one with trailer, and a 115HP engine built in 2004. It is on the market for £14,250. This seems a little high despite it being peak season. Does this price seem appropriate?

I have also been reading up about these and they seem to be built well with a hull suitable for more leisurely use, particularly when it comes to ease of planing.

Thank you for any advice and input! Much appreciated.
Old 11 July 2016, 12:06   #2

Town: Poole
Boat name: El Mono
Make: Ribtec 9M
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yanmar 315/Bravo III
We had an Adventure 620 from 1999-2004ish with the Yamaha 115 4-stroke, rigged by Salterns Marina. It was a great boat, and we would happily cruise year round from Poole to the Solent or Weymouth. I don't think we ever felt uncomfortable in it, was beautifully balanced with the 115, although yes, it is more of a medium V, and may slam more than some other makes in a heavy sea. We swapped to a stainless prop (I forget what diameter/pitch) in our final year of ownership, and I think were getting 36ish knots flat out. Doesn't have a huge fuel tank though, depending on your intended usage? We certainly never had any issues with the hull, tubes or engine owning it for probably 5 years from new, and it was used pretty much every weekend the whole year round.

I would have thought that price is quite expensive though for that boat at that age, and possibly at that price there's other options with a deeper V if you want something to go further afield in the future?
Old 11 July 2016, 12:08   #3

Town: S. Carolina
Boat name: D560
Make: Avon
Length: 5m +
Engine: 2016 Merc 115hp CT
What year is it?
office888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2016, 13:19   #4

Town: Dublin
Length: no boat
We have one with 115 hp.
Double width console, 2 jockeys seats and bench seat behind. All made by Outhill, which I think was the supplier for them all.

Lovely boat, more leisure rib than deep V all weather hull but I don't go out in big weather with family. However, have never felt the least bit vulnerable in it.

Lots of space.

I found the c of g was a bit far aft so put more anchor chain in nose locker and now use the in console fuel tank rather than having 3 x 25 litre tanks in the aft bench, although they can still be used to give 150 litre total fuel. It's vastly improved, much less prone to slapping and planes easier and flatter.
We have 19 inch alloy prop, tops out around 34kts. Will blast away around 28 kts with 4 of us. I'm tempted to buy stainless one.

Check if there is a tank in the console, not all had them fitted.
Check the wiring, as I believe they were sold bare boat and rigged by various yards. Ours was appalling so re-wired last winter, there aren't many devices so not a huge job. I got a little carried away and renewed gauges, gps etc at the same time.

The only problem we have had was with one of the screws that secure the bench seat. It had been badly installed and drilled just about through deck. The sealant weakened and water started leaking into the hull over time. I ordered wider stainless screws, re-drilled and then sealed the new ones in place. Very simple fix.
Old 26 July 2016, 00:27   #5

Thanks

Thank you everyone for the advice and sharing experiences. The existing owner was able to be flexible on the price so I purchased the 2004 model with Mariner 115 on it. It has a bit of maintenance to do on it but I can hopefully do this with the more complex items being covered by the engineer that has looked after it for the past 7 years.

Taken it out of Southampton over to Cowes and along to Yarmouth. Nice bit of power and handles well. First task is to look at the throttle cables as sticking currently quite a bit! It has only had 330 hours which is quite low for the age I think.

Just need the weather to hold out for a bit longer. Happy boating and thanks again!
Old 26 July 2016, 06:49   #6
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeyboi View Post
The existing owner was able to be flexible on the price so I purchased the 2004 model with Mariner 115 on it.
Old 01 August 2016, 15:08   #7

I have had the boat out on the Solent a few times and has performed well. Attached is a picture before she was stacked/launched!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo 22-07-2016, 10 43 52 (1).jpg
Views:	662
Size:	183.8 KB
ID:	114780  
Old 18 September 2018, 20:56   #8

Boat name: Bob
Make: Humber
Engine: Mercury135
Just looking at a 620 with 115 Mariner for sale on ebay and it looks like yours 2004 model. Before I go have a look is there anything you can tell me? Was the Mariner 115 reliable? Is it the EFi model?

Tags
avon