Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 17 June 2009, 03:07   #1
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Brixham
Boat name: no name
Make: no name
Length: 5m +
Engine: no name
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 17
Avon 620 open adventurer Yamaha F115 4 stroke

Bought this bought about a month ago and loving it with the family. The only thing is when I 1st bought it it would do about 33 mph at WOT (5000rpm). A month on it is only doing about 25 mph. It is moored at a marina and there's a little growth on the hull...but would this make a real difference? The engine is 2007 still under warranty and sounds and runs fine. it has a standard 17" prop. Would going to a slightly larger prop make that much difference / damage the engine?

Cheers for any thoughts.

Prattyboy
__________________

__________________
Prattyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2009, 03:38   #2
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 5,551
I think that a months growth in the recent warmish weather is your problem. Try taking it out of the water , clean it & then see if you get the MPH back .
__________________

__________________
PeterM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2009, 04:04   #3
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Gloucestershire
Boat name: Osprey
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 5m +
Engine: E-tec 300 G2
MMSI: TBC
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 4,015
2 weeks in a marina saw me loose 3 knots.
__________________
---------------------------------------------------
Chris Stevens

Born fiddler
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2009, 09:13   #4
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Brixham
Boat name: no name
Make: no name
Length: 5m +
Engine: no name
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 17
thanks for replies. Growth looks like it's fairly well advanced so will take out this weekend. Apart from pressure hose cleaning is there any solution you can recommend?
__________________
Prattyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2009, 09:22   #5
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 5,551
I find just elbow grease & a light green scouring type pad - take the growth off without scratching the gel.
__________________
PeterM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2009, 09:30   #6
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 12,791
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackroady View Post
I find just elbow grease & a light green scouring type pad - take the growth off without scratching the gel.
I agree - unless you have barnacles and then you need a plastic windscreen scraper.
__________________
codprawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2009, 09:54   #7
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 5,551
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
I agree - unless you have barnacles and then you need a plastic windscreen scraper.
Good point - mine live in fresh water , apart form the odd few days here & there - so never really seemed to affect me . Do barnacles even live in fresh water ? Never occured to me before !
__________________
PeterM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2009, 21:57   #8
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 12,791
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackroady View Post
Good point - mine live in fresh water , apart form the odd few days here & there - so never really seemed to affect me . Do barnacles even live in fresh water ? Never occured to me before !
No and it's a good way to remove them - stick the boat in fresh and it kills them off - doubt it will remove the rings they leave behind though - you need acid for that!!!
__________________
codprawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2009, 00:15   #9
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Make: Ballistic 7.8
Length: 7m +
Engine: 250hp E-Tec
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 52
My Humber needs a clean speed down from 52mph to 42mph, makes a big difference but in lazy mode at the minute.
__________________
mikesyam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2009, 01:13   #10
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Scillies
Boat name: Freedom
Make: Searider
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yam 2st 90
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 335
I use concentrated hydrochloric acid from a garening type spray can. Just spray it on leave 5 mins and wipe off with a deck scrubber. Reapply on the odd patch that didn't completely wipe off.

It is used on all the quays around the islands as well as it doesn't do any damage to the envirnment.

ian
__________________
walruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2009, 01:25   #11
Member
 
Leapy's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Sheepy Parva
Boat name: Sadly Sold
Length: no boat
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,728
Quote:
Originally Posted by walruz View Post
[Hydrochloric Acid] is used on all the quays around the islands as well as it doesn't do any damage to the envirnment.

ian
Though you might want to be careful handling it...

...hydrochloric acid...forms acidic mists. Both the mist and the solution have a corrosive effect on human tissue, with the potential to damage respiratory organs, eyes, skin, and intestines...Personal protective equipment such as rubber or PVC gloves, protective eye goggles, and chemical-resistant clothing and shoes are used to minimize risks when handling hydrochloric acid (from Wikipedia)

So, make sure all marine life is equally protected
__________________
Leapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2009, 03:55   #12
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Brixham
Boat name: no name
Make: no name
Length: 5m +
Engine: no name
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 17
elbow grease and a jet spray it is then!! (think I'll give the acid bath a miss tbh!)
__________________
Prattyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2009, 04:51   #13
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 5,551
I also get a nice feeling knowing that I have nice white , clean hull under me as I accelerate on to the plane. Visions of a nice smooth flow of water etc & that that the boat looks good without a green/ brown line around it .
__________________
PeterM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2009, 07:13   #14
JSP
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Southport
Boat name: Qudos
Make: 5.4 Searider
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yam 115 V4
MMSI: 235068784
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 3,930
It's like dragging a carpet through the water isn't it.

Jetwash and buff it up. Remember a few boats in Victoria dock in caernarfon kept the hulls very highly polished so stuff couldn't get a grip. Worked a treat too but not sure how often they had to get them polished,
__________________
JSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2009, 07:24   #15
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 12,791
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leapy View Post
Though you might want to be careful handling it...

...hydrochloric acid...forms acidic mists. Both the mist and the solution have a corrosive effect on human tissue, with the potential to damage respiratory organs, eyes, skin, and intestines...Personal protective equipment such as rubber or PVC gloves, protective eye goggles, and chemical-resistant clothing and shoes are used to minimize risks when handling hydrochloric acid (from Wikipedia)

So, make sure all marine life is equally protected
Yes but that's the 100% stuff. Remember it's whats in your stomach and what burns your throat when you get reflux!!!

How quickly would a gallon of HCL dilute in about 200 trillion gallons of sea water???
__________________
codprawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2009, 07:30   #16
Member
 
Leapy's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Sheepy Parva
Boat name: Sadly Sold
Length: no boat
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,728
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
Yes but that's the 100% stuff. Remember it's whats in your stomach and what burns your throat when you get reflux!!!

How quickly would a gallon of HCL dilute in about 200 trillion gallons of sea water???
Don't take life so seriously, Codders. Chill out and get out on your boat more
__________________
Leapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2009, 08:45   #17
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 12,791
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leapy View Post
Don't take life so seriously, Codders. Chill out and get out on your boat more
I have been busy cleaning it and getting it ready - just need to bleed the steering now and clean the tubes with TFR.
__________________
codprawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2009, 13:26   #18
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 6,298
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
I have been busy cleaning it and getting it ready - just need to bleed the steering now and clean the tubes with TFR.
Too right! I thought your boat had been re-toobed in white when I saw it last week.
__________________

__________________
Downhilldai is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 00:42.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.