Old 10 August 2021, 11:59   #1

Town: cork
Boat name: na
Make: na
Length: 6m +
Engine: na
Avon 620 advice

Hi all
Looking to get a rib and was wondering peoples opinions on the Avon 620 adventure. Comes fitted with a merc optimax 135.
Would this be a good family rib that can deal with coastal waters and swells? Seating arrangement is exactly as I want it but just wondering peoples opinions. Want the fam to be safe and don't plan on flooring it everywhere and wave jumping, just if the waves pick up that we ll all be safe.
Thanks
Old 10 August 2021, 12:37   #2

Town: New Ross
Boat name: SIRIUS
Make: Ribcraft 4.8M
Length: 4m +
Engine: 60HP Mariner EFi
MMSI: 250 005566
RIBase
There is an Avon 620 for sale on Done Deal in Cork with a Mercury 150 on it, if that's the one you are looking at, it has plenty of room but not a lot of seating. Be perfectly safe in a Force 4 wind, but you wouldn't choose to go out in a Force 4 by choice. It would cope with rougher if it blows up whilst you were out at sea and get you home.
Old 10 August 2021, 12:41   #3

Thanks for that. One showed up in athlone yesterday and it's that I'm goin to see. Good to know it would be suitable. Im based in cork Harbour and roches point has always been where boats struggle
Old 10 August 2021, 12:43   #4

RIBase
I've been out in a Force 4-5 in a smaller rib ( not by choice ) and whilst not pleasant, with careful handling and throttle control, got home safe and sound
Old 10 August 2021, 12:49   #5
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesd2021 View Post
Looking to get a rib and was wondering peoples opinions on the Avon 620 adventure.
The Adventures are a family fun boat, light build to maximise power and with a mid Vee to reduce drag. They suffer a little more in a chop, banging on each wave. This is all searchable on here. There's nothing wrong with them, just that they're more of a calm water boat. This might suit you just fine, but you'll have to mind the wind/tide.
Old 10 August 2021, 15:32   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
The Adventures are a family fun boat, light build to maximise power and with a mid Vee to reduce drag. They suffer a little more in a chop, banging on each wave. This is all searchable on here. There's nothing wrong with them, just that they're more of a calm water boat. This might suit you just fine, but you'll have to mind the wind/tide.
Thanks for that. I'm not planning on going out in bad weather or wave jumping, it's more that if things get rough that it's not gonna sink �� it's gonna be a coastal cruiser for the family
Old 10 August 2021, 16:28   #7

RIBase
You will struggle to sink a rib
Old 10 August 2021, 19:48   #8

Town: Poole
Boat name: El Mono
Make: Ribtec 9M
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yanmar 315/Bravo III
We had our Adventure 620 for 3 or so years and loved it, using it all year round in all conditions from Poole and venturing between the Solent and Weymouth. With a Yam 115 4 stroke it was perfectly balanced and handled the waves really well, although as stated above, the medium vee and relatively light weight construction means it slams a bit more than some other RIB's when the going gets tougher. That said, we went out in all weather/conditions all year round and never had any issues with it's handling/sea keeping at all if driven correctly for the conditions. I then swapped a few years later to a 9m diesel Ribtec which was a completely different and much more serious long distance offshore animal, which I just sold last month, but for more coastal/family duties I wouldn't hesitate to have an Avon 620 again, at the right price.
Old 10 August 2021, 19:51   #9

Thanks very much for that Paul. By the sounds of things it ll suit us well. We won't be going more than a mile offshore really and I wouldn't take the family out in big swells. I had a bowrider and when it got rough it was pretty scary
Old 11 August 2021, 00:41   #10

Town: Beckenham
Boat name: No Name
Make: Highfield
Length: 3m +
Engine: Outboard Suzuki 30HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimB View Post
You will struggle to sink a rib
You will be pleased to note that all the people on this forum who took their RIB out to sea, got back alive.
Old 11 August 2021, 15:28   #11

Quote:
I had a bowrider and when it got rough it was pretty scary
Yes, our Avon 620 was streets ahead of all the bowrider/cuddy type things I've ever helmed, and far softer riding.

I do think to get the most out of a 620 in rougher conditions the weight is quite important as well to ensure it is well balanced, given it's not the deepest vee hull. Ours was fitted with a Yam 115 4 stroke at about 170kg and seemed to be about the sweet spot of weight/power/handling to me. At the time I remember driving friends' 620's with Yamaha 150 VMAX and Yamaha 150 HPDI engines, and whilst they did have a bit higher top end speed, our boat actually felt far better balanced when it came to driving it in harsher conditions.
Old 11 August 2021, 15:40   #12

I heard the 2 strokes are a better option for these. The one I'm looking at has a merc optimax 135 so should be a nice balance. Does anyone know the weight of the boat and trailer by any chance?
Old 11 August 2021, 21:47   #13

Town: Cardiff
Length: no boat
This just popped up https://www.rib.net/forum/f21/avon-6...tml#post840826
Old 12 August 2021, 00:38   #14

Town: Cork
Boat name: Cúr na dDonnta
Make: Excalibur + Zapcat
Engine: Merc120TDI,Tohatsu50
Quote:
Hi all
Looking to get a rib and was wondering peoples opinions on the Avon 620 adventure.
Thanks
I had a 620 with a Yamaha F115 which was well matched and plenty fast. Found it great around sheltered waters like Cork harbour but slammed hard going into chop so not so good in West Cork and more open seas. They have a rather shallow V as pointed out previously. Fine on all other points so safe if the weather turns and you want to run home in front of it with extra buoyancy and lift to resist stuffing from the square bow. It's a great family boat , fast and economical, good storage and well built with a lot of space for the length.
I'd avoid the bench seats which are quite common but if you're not planning to be out in F4+ outside the harbour they'd be ok, maybe even more family friendly.
Check the Aframe -if fitted -carefully for cracking on older boats. They're a bit spindly and can suffer vibration cracking.
Also check the transom as some used a crappy aluminium coverstrip which didn't always seal well along the top
Be aware the wheel is kind of low which is bad for stand up driving but not an issue if you don't plan on being out in the rough stuff or making long coastal passages.
Buy a good one and they hold their value really well.
Old 12 August 2021, 19:08   #15

It's a 2009 with a 135 optimax on it with 220hrs.1 owner from new and always put back on the trailer and lack use only so fingers crossed. Have a surveyor coming to check it over too to be safe
Old 15 August 2021, 12:55   #16

Well everyone thanks for all the pointers. Went to look at it yesterday and boat is ideal for us. Family went out for a test drive and was brilliant so did a deal on it. Thanks for all the info folks and no doubt I'll have a load of questions ��
Old 15 August 2021, 15:28   #17

RIBase
nice one, hope you enjoy
Old 15 August 2021, 19:22   #18

Great news, I'm sure you'll enjoy it - we certainly had a great time with our 620!

Tags
avon